races, tri

It’s almost here!

IMG_0970

A week from right now I’ll be waking up in Mont-Tremblant Canada. I’ll look out my hotel window and see the village below, the village where the finish line is… where the magic happens! The beautiful European- like village will be bustling with athletes in their IRONMAN backpacks, pre race chatter will be all around me… and so much nervous excitement!! Since I did this race just last year, my memories of the venue and the course are fresh in my mind.

When I close my eyes, I can just feel race day.

As I begin to taper, I cannot help but feel proud of what I have accomplished this season with my training.  Over the past six weeks or so I have been a VERY busy bee with training my butt off and making BIG gains along the way. I got through peak weeks with flying colors and when the workouts seemed daunting to look at on paper, I realized that I can DO THIS. There were days when I didn’t think I could possibly swim/bike/run any longer, or any harder.  I joked that coach Jorge was ‘trying to kill me.’ There were tears… quite a few tears over these last few weeks.  Training for an Ironman is an emotional experience, I don’t care what anyone tells you.  A few times I got off my bike and the tears started flowing. I finished track practice and my eyes welled up…. after all, I’m human, and this is a BIG deal. Over the peak training weeks I tested my limits more than ever before. I got comfortable with the uncomfortable.  I reached watts I NEVER thought I would be capable of reaching. I found my rhythm with running, more than ever before. I got faster in the water and more efficient. I realized that I enjoy training with others way more than training alone (how the heck did I do this all alone last year?). My one badass moment though, was riding 104 miles solo.  My coach told me that racing IMMT will be my easiest training day out of the year. At first I didn’t believe him, but now I do… I have put in the work, so much, that my race should essentially feel ‘easy’ 🙂

I guess what I’m saying is, I could go on and on about every workout I did over these last several weeks, but in reality, it’s not about the workouts. It’s about feeling ready, it’s about gaining the confidence to know you can race 140.6 miles.  It’s about GROWTH.  For me, it’s been the growth of becoming a stronger cyclist.  Now is the time to finish what I started, nine days from today! BRING IT ON.

And now I’m going ‘sit back’ and enjoy my taper…

After finishing my 20 miler last weekend!

After finishing my 20 miler last weekend!

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles August 7, 2015 at 3:36 pm

You are strong, you have trained hard and YOU ARE READY! Get up there, get some rest the night before and visualize kicking butt (which I know you will do!)

• Reply Leana August 7, 2015 at 5:02 pm

You have been so strong and so dedicated to training. I hope you have an absolutely amazing race. You are ready!! Best of luck!!

• Reply Beth August 7, 2015 at 5:09 pm

You are so right, it’s more about believing you are ready than about each workout. I hope you have an amazing day =)

• Reply Kecia August 8, 2015 at 5:48 pm

You are ready! You are going to crush it…and I can’t wait to watch!! This journey is amazing, but until it is experienced, it is not truly understood!! Soak up the taper and mentally prepare to crush it…after all, attitude takes you places the body knows little about 🙂

• Reply Runwright August 9, 2015 at 4:02 am

This is awesome. You’re going to do great! I know!

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails August 9, 2015 at 11:56 am

You are SO READY! I’m so excited for you!!! Training for an Ironman is totally an emotional experience. I shed many a tear during my training, ha ha.

• Reply Tami August 9, 2015 at 11:58 pm

I am volunteering at the finish line between 5-9 so I hope to see you there

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats August 10, 2015 at 4:41 am

Good luck!!! You have put in the work and now it is time to race!!! Have an amazing day!!!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life August 11, 2015 at 4:24 pm

The feeling of being ready for the IM is great! You have done all (and more really) to be where you need to be to reach your goals. It had been enjoyable to follow you on your training journey this year and to watch you make incredible gains. I just know you are going to have a special day out there! Enjoy taper!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:20 am

whoah this blog is excellent i like studying your articles.
    Keep up the good work! You already know, many people are hunting round for this information, you could help them greatly.