race reports, run

boston proud.

If I could sum up how I feel about my race on Monday at the 2015 Boston Marathon it would be…
I feel PROUD.
10425434_10102338276197629_4440892439082716422_n
Three days post Boston Marathon, I am still on a runner’s high… wow, just wow.. WHAT a day! It was one of those days that made me feel so lucky!  My body carried me 26.2 miles with heart and courage, through the rain and freezing cold…. I DID it! I PR’d! As a girl who has been running most of her life, I just had the race of my life.

Official time: 3:19:06

(Marathon PR and Boston PR by 5.5 minutes)

I will do a more detailed recap of Boston + lots more photos.. but for now I just wanted to share how it all went down. The third time was a charm, Boston #3, you were incredible!!

I personally have never felt stronger.  Dare I say the Boston Marathon felt effortless?… well it kind of did. Besides my quads feeling tight, which I partially blame on the cold weather, the race was flawless for me.  I did just what I planned to do.  I wanted to go faster, but I held back. I crossed the finish line feeling like I could have done more, but I was happy I didn’t. I was calm, cool and collected despite the nasty elements.

I started out slow… and got faster as I went.  I actually did Negative split! I zoned in on my 7:30 ish pace from the start.  I kept this pace (which varied a bit) throughout the race.  I was consistent and smart about my racing.  My overall average pace was a 7:36 min/mile and this felt easy.  Given my average heart rate of 136 bpm, versus last year 7:48 pace at 148 avg bpm, I can say I’m wayyy fitter than I was this time last year.  I know cold temperatures can affect heart rate, but I also know I am more fit. 136 bpm for me is considered borderline recovery heart rate.  Wow. Crazyness. To know I was capable of going even FASTER than 7:36 avg pace, is pretty freaking awesome.

Here is a breakdown of my pacing via Garmin Connect graphs…

Total Elevation gain: 925 feet

Total Elevation loss: 1,299 feet

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 12.56.23 PM

Here is a breakdown mile by mile

My Garmin connect pace is slightly off from the baa.org pace (partially due to weaving in and out of people).

Miles 1-5

This part of the race is mostly downhill … I was told to go ‘slow’ here and keep my pace slower than 7:30 min/mile.

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 9.49.05 PM

Miles 6-13

Mix of flats and rolling hills.  This is when I had my nutrition and pace dialed in.  I was focused and I felt like a machine… unstoppable!

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 2.57.24 PM

Miles 17-21, this is where the fun began.. the Newton Hills!

I actually said to a fellow runner: ‘This is where the fun begins’… he didn’t think I was very funny.  Oh well! At least I enjoyed it:)

I saw my family at Mile 17 which was a HUGE boost! then I picked up the pace going into Heart Break hill.  These splits below are all going up big hills and the hills leading up to Heart Break.  Heart Break tops off at mile 21.  I’m psyched I was able to stay sub 8 for all of those hills! It really helped having ran the hills four times during my training, I was able to visualize it before I ran up.. total hill domination!

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 2.57.32 PM

Miles 22-26.2

The last miles of the race… I was focused to get the PR done.  I knew I was close and my mental strength carried me to the finish line.

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 2.07.58 PM

I sprinted my butt off down Boylston Street and screamed down towards the finish line!

As taken from an E3 teammate who ran Boston… I truly believe that the Boston Marathon is the only race out there that can bring out the best of the human spirit. Sweat, tears, laughter, cheering and elation only partially describe Monday. Despite the rain, cold, and wind, it is clear that Boston has never been stronger.

Now that I am warm, no longer shivering (I was sooo cold when I finished)… I am looking back on marathon Monday with a HUGE smile.

The race was kind of a blur, it went by sooo fast.. I made sure to write notes after the race to make sure I could remember all that I could..  Some of which, I can’t even put into words…memories of the 2015 Marathon will reside deep in my heart, always. Not sure how I’ll ever top this one, but I’ll try!

The finish line photo says it all.. the definition of a PR race #heartandcourage.

273260_192058319_Medium

Special thanks to…
Coach Jorge @ E3 Training for getting me to the finish line!
Marchese Sports Therapy for keeping me healthy
InsideTracker  for helping me recover and train at my BEST!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust April 24, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Reading this gave me goosebumps, Kristin! Congratulations on an incredible race, PR, and for finishing Boston stronger than ever. It seems like everything is aligning for you this year and your mind/heart are in the right place.

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Thank you Kristen!!! Everything is aligning at the moment… hoping I can keep this going into tri season!!

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run April 24, 2015 at 1:35 pm

EXCELLENT PR!!!! Boston is a tough course. You crushed it!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Thank you Meg!!! And I think it was you who said if I run Boston, I’ll crush it… you were right! Thanks for the positive words!!

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails April 24, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Ahhh….OMG. Reading this gave me goosebumps! What a fantastic day! I LOVE It when a race comes together like that! Congrats on a shiny new PR! Love that finishers photo btw! AMAZING!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Thank you Phaedra!!! It was AMAZING! I need to frame that photo (I’m the worst about actually printing pictures!). Looking forward to seeing how my IM training progresses after this race! Hope your training is going well!

• Reply Kecia April 24, 2015 at 2:28 pm

It was so much fun tracking you and watching your progress!! You rocked it!! I’m so lucky and blessed to have such amazing teammates, who keep inspiring me!! The photos of you on Monday say it all…having fun and racing with #heartandcourage. XOXO

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Thank you Kecia!!! And thanks for tracking lady! I love how we all inspire one another! #heartandcourage

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life April 24, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I was tracking you throughout the race and you truly have so many reasons to be proud! Your post was so heartfelt and you deserved to have such a memorable and fabulous day! You have been working so hard and it apparently paid off BIG when you wanted it! Your average heart rate stats are fabulous and I know this will give you so much additional confidence as you continue your IM training! The two photos here should be hanging on your wall very soon!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Awww thank you Lee… and thank you for tracking!!! I am also very psyched about my HR data… it’s a great indication of my potential! And I should really frame those photos and put them up in my workout room:) good idea! Looking forward to the season ahead!

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles April 24, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I am SO SO freaking proud of you. I was tracking you through the whole race and knew you were going to PR, you were looking so strong. You are amazing my friend! xo

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Thank you, Sara!!!! And thank you for tracking me too!! xoxo

• Reply Nicole April 24, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Congrats! What a great race! I can’t wait to see how all this fitness translates to your ironman ! I have a feeling if you trained for a maathon and chose a faster course you’d shave another 5+ min off that PR ! But ironman is the focus this year 🙂 congrats again!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Thank you, Nicole!! I also can’t wait to see how my fitness translates into my IM… now time to really focus on the bike! I thought about that too, re: the faster course. I think a goal for the future is to go sub- 3 !

• Reply Abby April 24, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Congratulations on an amazing race! I’m so happy you decided to run it, and that you felt so STRONG! You sure look it, too!
    I seriously love how happy you look in your pictures…that’s what running and racing should be about!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Thank you so much, Abby! I feel the strongest I’ve felt in a long time, yay!!! I had so much fun out there!

• Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead April 25, 2015 at 12:49 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know you were so nervous about this race, so I’m thrilled for you that it went so amazingly well! Great job!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Thank you, Cassie!! Yes, I was super nervous! I have been paying a close attention to the proper recovery 🙂

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats April 25, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Nailed it!! Congrats on an amazing race and finish!!! What a PR and what a race!!! Very exciting and especially because it was such crappy weather too!!!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Thank you, Leslie!! The weather was definitely tough, but it made it memorable:)

• Reply Kelsey @ Happy Triathlete April 28, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Wow!! Kristin, you are a rock star!!! Way to execute such an amazing race and congratulations on the PR!! My eyes were popping out of my head reading those splits… on hills no less… and then into the finish, just getting faster and faster! Way to go!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Aww thank you, Kelsey!! I was so pumped!! VERY excited for Tri seaon now!

• Reply Tina@GottaRunNow April 30, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Big congrats! You did what every runner wants to do at the Boston Marathon and have inspired me to stick to my race plans!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Thank you, Tina!! I’m so happy to hear I have inspired you! It’s not always easy to stick to the plan, but’s it’s a magical thing when it happens:)

• Reply Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC April 30, 2015 at 9:54 pm

amazing! way to go and i love that finish line pic!

• Reply Kristin May 1, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Thank you so much Courtney!!

• Reply running in the rain… a Boston Marathon 2015 recap – Sweat Courage May 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm

[…] you want to check out my pacing from the race, I posted about this last […]

• Reply erin May 22, 2015 at 4:42 pm

What. A. Race! Huge congrats to you, my friend! I love that first pic of you… totally captures your joy and love of running 🙂 xo.

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:15 am

What’s up everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at this web site, and paragraph is truly
    fruitful in support of me, keep up posting such articles or reviews.

• Reply augustaairconditioning March 4, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Hey there I am so glad I found your web site, I really found you by mistake, while I was searching on Digg for something else,
    Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thank you
    for a incredible post and a all round thrilling
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to read through it all at the minute but I have saved it
    and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
    be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent jo.