my life

Dear Oliver

10983673_319658604899515_147891510_n1

Our furbaby Oliver turned five on March 3rd, and I wanted to dedicate this post to him.

Oliver is like a child to Todd and I, and we definitely treat him like a human.  This little fluff ball rules the household!

Dear Oliver,

I know you’ll never get to read this letter (like a human baby would when they grow up), but you know quite well how much you are loved.

I am blessed that you came into World five years ago… and into our lives (almost) five years ago.  At the time I wasn’t sure I wanted a small dog, since I always wanted a dog I could run or hike with.  Since we were living in a apartment at the time, we couldn’t get a big dog, so we started looking for ‘cool’ little dogs.  Dogs that were small in size, but big in personality.  When we started to look at Westies, boy were we right about that personality!

I’ll never forget the day Todd came home with an advertisement in the Boston Herald for Westie puppies.  Your Dad was crazy thinking we could go look at puppies without wanting to take one home.. who was he kidding?! That weekend we drove up to New Hampshire and saw you for the first time… of course we fell in love instantly. You were the only boy left, with your two sisters, and you were so darn curious! I remember you were the one wandering off and smelling everything in sight.  I loved your spunky, curious nature. We didn’t take you home that day, because Todd wanted to think about it (he’s the rational one). Fast forward to the following weekend, and we drove back up to NH and brought you home.. you were just 10 weeks old!

IMG_6334

Since that day in May of 2010, you have forever changed our lives. I never thought I could love an animal so much, but you are everything to us. You have hiked over 30 of New Hampshire’s highest mountains.  We started hiking with you when you were a puppy and you have loved the trails ever since. Oliver, you are one determined little guy!

522697_10101004186369339_117129806_n

You took part in our wedding day, and we now have photos that we will cherish forever…

Higden-Lawhorn-2273_web

You are always there for me when I need you… my little shadow following me around the house, room to room.  When I am sick, you lay with me on the couch.  You sleep at my feet every night in bed, keeping me warm.

You love barking at airplanes, squirrels and bunnies… your dream is to one day catch a bunny, but I hate to break it to you, they are super fast!

Did I mention you love watching TV? Not only to you watch TV (seriously) but you bark at any animal that comes on the screen, silly pup!

You’ve been to most of my Triathlons, cheering me on with your Dad!

I know you won’t live forever, and it makes me sick just thinking about it. They say dogs are put on Earth to teach us what love really is… and I think that’s right. Thank you, Oliver for showing me and your Dad unconditional love… love is all you know:)

Love,

mom:)

percy-poem-final-image

Forget wearing the bday hat... Oliver would rather chew on it at least he loves his new toys! Happy 5th birthday to our best friend, Oliver @thigden #westie #westiegram #westietude #westhighlandterrier #westiesofinstagram #dogmom #westiemom #bestfriend #dogsareagirlsbestfriend

• Reply Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz March 6, 2015 at 6:56 am

I LOVE this post…and Oliver! 🙂 He is so adorable! I just had a breakdown on my kitchen floor talking about how old my Yorkie is…I can’t believe she is 9. Thinking about the inevitable is just simply unbearable. My husband and I treat our dogs like they are our babies too and I wouldn’t have it any other way! Looks like Oliver is a very lucky boy and very loved by you and your husband! It makes me smile when I see animals being loved!

• Reply Kristin March 13, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Aww thank you Stacy!! It’s so sad to think about our pups getting older… it honestly makes me want to cry just thinking about it. I don’t know how I’m going to deal with it whenever that awful day comes… I can only imagine how you feel with an older pup:( But I’m know yorkies (and Westies) can live for a long time! Glad to hear your little girl is treated well and loved! Pups are the best!!

• Reply erin March 6, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Cute! Dogs are the BEST. Happy fifth birthday, Oliver!

• Reply Kim March 6, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I love this SO so much! I loved my westies with all of my heart and have such fond memories of them 🙂 My little loves were Rory and Bonnie 🙂 My husband and I want a dog so badly (ahem, a wittle westie :)), but I think we still need to wait a bit! I would love meet this little bugger once things warm up, he is such a love!! <3

• Reply Kristin March 13, 2015 at 7:24 pm

love love love how you grew up with Westies!! You definitely need to meet my little dude, you’ll love him! Westie pups are the cuuuutest, I hope you guys can get one some day soon!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life March 6, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Very sweet post! Furbabies are the best!

• Reply Kristin March 13, 2015 at 7:25 pm

yes they are! 🙂

• Reply Desiree March 6, 2015 at 5:37 pm

I LOVE this post. Oliver and Jack sound so much alike. My husband and I waited 15 years to get a dog. Wanted it to be the right time/place. When we rescued Jack last year (thankfully he was only 8 months old, so still young) I had no idea how much my life would change for the better. I love him so much. Happy Birthday Oliver!!!

• Reply Kristin March 13, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Thank you Desiree (from Oliver that is!). I wish our westies could meet one another! I love how you rescued Jack, such a sweet story.. he is one lucky dog!!

• Reply Hailey March 7, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Aww Happy Belated Birthday, Oliver! I love that you and your husband treat him like a child. That’s what I would do! I even call mine, my baby boy 🙂 and my brother and sister-in-law have a room for their dogs with paw print wallpaper haha. And I love that he took part of your wedding! I’ve thought mine would be the cutest ring bearer hahaha, but there’s no way he would be calm enough for something like that ;).

• Reply Kristin March 13, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Oliver says thank you Hailey:) I call him baby boy too… and lots of all cute names haha. Love the idea of the paw print wallpaper, how adorable. We thought about having Oliver be the ring bearer, but that probably would have been a disaster, haha 🙂 Pups are just the best.

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles March 9, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Awww…I love this. Oliver is such a sweet boy and he is lucky to have you and Todd as his parents!! Morgan was totally our child before having Ashton and we treated him like a human too, I don’t think there is any other way to treat a dog!!!

• Reply Kristin March 13, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I am worried that having a child one day will break Oliver’s heart (meaning, he won’t get all the attention). But I like to think that him and the child will be the best of friends!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:46 am

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty.
    You are amazing! Thanks!