life

a comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.

this goes for life and triathlon.

but right now, I’m talking about life…

43c36c8934afd469fbc97fce2c41deba

When I was a young girl, I was a springboard diver.  I was fearless.  I suppose I am still pretty fearless, but it’s just different now.  As a diver, I would leap off the high dive, doing all sorts of twists, reverses dives, without a care in the world.. not even scared of what could happen if I messed up. I just went for it. Coach would tell me what to try, and I would just do it. Sometimes failing, slamming down hard on the water, but I got right back up there and tried again. I persevered.

All of those years diving is a metaphor that fits my life right now…

Jumping off that diving board was always a risk.  Trying a new dive, always a risk.  But you never know unless you actually go for it.  I remember my coach telling me that diving is 99% mental, and he was right.  It was so easy to psych yourself out of doing a dive.  If you thought too hard about it, Boom! you would mess up. I swear… the times I thought “I can do this” were the times I nailed the dive, and the opposite also applied.

Going through a career change feels very similar to trying a new dive. I am taking a risk, I am trying something new, a dive I’ve never done before.  I don’t know how I’ll land, or how pretty this all will be, but I won’t know unless I try. I am trying this new ‘gig’ because deep down in my heart, I know that I can do this, and the mind is a powerful thing.

I’ve been saying to myself for a while ‘dream big’ and now it’s time to walk the walk.

68a49d333f6bd194ae5607bb67ad0703

change is scary… no doubt about it.

I’ve been pacing the house all week, my mind has been spinning, I literally can’t focus. I usually have my s*it together, but not this week.  What the heck is wrong with me?! I keep asking myself. Honestly, I’m a mess. ha.

today this change hit me hard…

March 31st, 2015 was a milestone for me. I dropped off my laptop, my iPhone, my iPad to my big corporate office.  I turned in my security badge and signed bunch of paperwork… then it was over. The job that will hopefully be my last ‘big corporate’ job, has officially ended. Just like that…

Part of me was left with those material items… leaving behind the comfortable and facing the uncomfortable head on. I’m not the same girl that walked into that office when I started, I’m stronger and more confident. I’m ready to try the high dive again… 🙂

Have you ever gone through a career change?

What advice do you have for me starting a new job?!

• Reply Hailey April 1, 2015 at 1:56 am

I wish you the best with this new transition! It sounds like you’ve been preparing your whole life for something like this 🙂 You got it!

• Reply Kecia April 1, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I have not gone through a career change in a LONG time, but am hopeful one is just around the corner…I’m waiting for the email/call for an interview. You are an amazingly strong, confident and inspiring woman who will persevere with any career! I wish you peace, joy and lots of fun as you set out on this new journey! I know you’ll eventually find comfort in this new career as well 🙂

• Reply Kristin April 7, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I hope you got what you were looking for (with your career change!). I appreciate your kind words!! It’s never easy starting new and taking a chance… but you never know unless you try!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust April 1, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I am sooooo excited for you, Kristin. True, it is extremely scary to completely change the trajectory of your career… but it’s a good kind of change and fear. Uncertainty and unfamiliar territory SHOULD be a little frightening. You have nothing to worry about and will adapt quickly. Just go in there with the same determination and heart that you go into your races with and everything will work out better than you probably expect! 🙂

• Reply Kristin April 7, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Thank you Kristen!! It’s so scary, but some things are worth a risk! I am trying to be positive:) I agree with you, if I go into this new job with the drive and determination that I have with my racing, I will do really well!! We shall see!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life April 1, 2015 at 7:11 pm

I send you big kudos and I wish I could find the right thing for myself so I could do something similar…say goodbye to the corporate world and hello to something you are more passionate about! Best of luck…even though I know you will do great!

• Reply Kristin April 7, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Thanks Lee!! It’s the first time I’ve been doing something I’m passionate about, super exciting!! I hope you can say goodbye to the corporate world one day:)

• Reply Nicole April 2, 2015 at 4:02 am

I quit my big fancy job after college after 1.5 years without a backup plan at all! It was scary but also so satisfying. Even though that path was the “right” one for a lot of people, it wasn’t right for me. I know you won’t regret your decision just like I didn’t!

• Reply Kristin April 7, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Love this!! I’m happy to hear your decision worked out so well for you!! I hope I feel the same way about mine:) Thank you Nicole!

• Reply erin April 9, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Hope your first week went well! I have no doubt… you will shine at your new position 🙂 I’m out of my comfort zone this week, too, as I started back up in corporate America (after saying I’d never go back). But, it’s a positive step for me that’s upward! Happy Thursday, friend!

• Reply Kristin April 10, 2015 at 3:00 pm

thanks friend!! I hope you are having a SUPER week at your new gig. It’s always hard being the newbie:) but staying positive is key!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:41 am

If you are going for finest contents like I do, simply pay a visit this web page daily
    for the reason that it provides quality contents, thanks