Roasted Chickpeas – a healthy snack for athletes!

Truth be told, I’m ALWAYS hungry and therefore I’m always snacking.  Especially on the days that I swim, I’m hungry all.day.long. To prevent myself from turning hangry (hungry + angry), I eat something every 2-3 hours.  My snacks are always focused on real foods and not processed junk.

210a421aa2810f9a8514a40f063110fc

Similar to getting into a breakfast rut, I also tend to get in ‘snack ruts’, always snacking on the same old things (apples, almonds and kale chips are some of my favorites). I was on a mission to find another healthy snack to add to my snack repertoire.

Luckily, while making meals during the holidays, I came across this fantastic salad recipe from Oh She Glows (one of my favorite food bloggers).  When making the chickpea croutons for the salad, I could not stop eating them straight off the cookie sheet. Literally, so addicting!!  I’ve always been a huge hummus lover, but never thought to eat chickpeas like this… until now:) I couldn’t help but think how perfect the chickpeas would be on their own, as a snack! Also, through trial and error, I found a way to get the chickpeas to actually stay crunchy long after you bake them.

Here’s how I made my roasted chickpeas:

chickpeas

Ingredients:

• 1 (15-oz) or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas. I HIGHLY recommend getting boxed chickpeas from Whole Foods (or anywhere else you can find them). I tried canned chickpeas and they got mushy after roasting in the oven.  For whatever reason, these chickpeas stay crispy well after roasting! The only ingredient added to the chickpeas is water, no preservatives and no bpa:)
  • 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt (I use 1/4 tsp)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
best-in-beans

Buy chickpeas like this!

Directions (from Oh She Glows):

Preheat oven to 400F. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Place chickpeas in a tea towel and rub dry (it’s ok if some skins fall off). Place onto large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle on oil and roll around to coat. Sprinkle on the garlic powder and salt and toss to coat. You can add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper if you like it spicy. Roast for 20 minutes at 400F, then gently roll the chickpeas around in the baking sheet, then roast for another 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden. They will firm up as they cool.

Since Chickpeas are so versatile, you can add all sorts of different spices to your recipe… have fun with it!

Here is why chickpeas make the perfect snack for athletes(and non-athletes alike):

The legume that is used to make hummus is often forgotten as a quality source of carbohydrates. Chickpeas not only provide a generous 22g of carbs in one ½ cup, but also a whopping 6g of fiber and 7g of protein. Fiber helps to keep you feeling full, maintains steady blood sugar levels, and may reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. (from the USAT website as one of the ‘5 BEST Carbs’)

What are some of your favorite healthy snacks?

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 14, 2015 at 11:53 pm

I just love hummus. I could literally sit there with a spoon and eat it by itself. I never thought to make chickpeas in a non-hummus way. Definitely will need to try this. I am ALWAYS snacking in the midst of training and would much rather load up on healthy food than garbage. I tend to snack on a lot of beets and sweet potatoes. My husband will cook up a big batch of sweet potato fries on Sunday for me to snack on throughout the week. Any recommendations for where to buy kale chips if I don’t want to make them at home?

• Reply erin January 15, 2015 at 12:10 am

I wish I ate beans because these sound delicious! They have far too much fiber in them for my sensitive GI 🙂 My go-to snacks… hmm… I don’t snack much! But, I do LOVE GoMacro bars, WholeMe granola and a late day espresso with coconut milk!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Ahhh one of these days I’ll post a recipe that you can eat, lol. I’ve been wanting to try goMacro bars and the WholeMe granola:)

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run January 15, 2015 at 1:26 pm

I had these once and they were soooo good! I could say, “Oh, I am totally going to make these!” but that would be a lie because I am lazy. 🙁

• Reply Kim @ Swimmykimy January 16, 2015 at 3:02 am

LOVE Oh She Glows!!! I definitely need to try these because I love chickpeas and I am also always looking for healthy, non-processed snacks 🙂 I also never knew how many carbohydrates chickpeas have, that is a nice added bonus! I’m currently about halfway into the Whole30, so I will try this in February when I can eat beans again! I’m not having a hard time with the “program” (I refuse to call it a diet) and it’s really not that difficult since it doesn’t deviate from my current diet all that much, yay! However, I do miss quinoa and beans immensely. Thanks for the early support!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Yes chickpeas have A LOT of carbs! I didn’t really know either until I looked it up, ha! Hope Whole30 is going well for you. I did it a couple of years ago and felt really good about myself when it was over. It didn’t deviate too much from my normal diet, which DOES make it easier. Good for you! Stick with it!!

• Reply Hailey January 16, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Yay thank you for this! I’ve tried the canned ones from whole foods and those didn’t work for me either! I love a mix of pistachios and dried cranberries as one of my snacks 🙂

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:35 pm

You’re welcome! Hope they work for you as well:) Oooh love pistachios! They are addicting!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats January 19, 2015 at 2:01 am

Great idea!! I love chickpeas!!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life January 19, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Definitely trying this…thanks for sharing!!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:40 am

Hello! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your blog posts.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same
    subjects? Thanks a ton!