dreaming big in 2015

I’ve been mulling over this post all week, and it’s time to finally talk about my goals for this year!

“Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: now.”
-Denis Waitley

When thinking about my goals for this year, I couldn’t help but think of what a fantastic year 2014 was. It will be hard to top last year, but I have my eyes set on bigger and better in 2015. I’m a firm believer that if your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough!

Here are my goals and dreams for the year ahead:

{Get strong & stay injury free} I feel like I said this last year, so maybe I’m just an injury prone triathlete (ugh). But seriously, I am trying to do everything in my power to prevent injuries from happening this year. This won’t be an easy task. I need to stay on top of my own body work and strength training!! The challenge will be keeping up with it once training gets more vigorous.

{Find a career that I love} I am getting close to achieving this goal. Something verrrry exciting is in the works on the job front… I will keep you all posted! Let’s just say… I believe in fate and something big is about to happen.

{Blog better} I can’t wait to see where my blog takes me this year. I have absolutely loved connecting with each and every one of you and have enjoyed blogging so much. I want to work on being a better blogger. Honestly, my goal is to get better at replying to comments and reading all of your lovely blogs. Sorry I’ve been slacking lately… I WILL get better this year:)

{Kona} There I said it. I really said the ‘K’ word. I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t my biggest goal of 2015.. because it is. The thing is, in reality, I’m not that far away either. I raced my first-ever IM last year at IMMT in 11:28:36. They took the top three in my AG to Kona… the 3rd place girl finished 36 minutes ahead of my time (12th place). I know I can’t go off of last year expecting this to happen at this year’s IMMT. I also realize you can NEVER expect Kona going into a race, because you NEVER know who is going to show up that day. When it comes to qualifying, I am HUNGRY… very hungry in fact… The fire is burning inside me and I am determined to get my KQ in 2015!

{Get bike strong} If I want to get to the big Island, improving my bike time will make all the difference. Biking is my weak link when it comes to triathlon and I am very determined to fix this! I realize I’m not a slow cyclist by any means, and I’ve done well in the past thanks to my athleticism and having great endurance. What I need to gain is power and speed on the bike. With the help of a coach, riding with others, and hopefully a power meter… I WILL get there! I need to get comfortable with being uncomfortable on two wheels and not just banking on the fact that ‘I’m a runner.’

{Learn bike mechanics} Speaking of biking… I am horrible with knowing ANYTHING about bike mechanics.  I am REALLLY embarrassed to admit this, but I’m still not confident switching out a flat. Horrible I know…. and risky! I NEED to get better at ALL things bike in 2015!

{Sleep more} I am one of those crazy people who survives just fine off little sleep, and still has tons of energy… The thing is, I know it’s not very good for my training and recovery.  I seriously can never get into bed before 10:00 PM.  During IM training last year I was averaging 5.5-6 hours of sleep a night… not good! I need more Zzz’s this year 🙂

{Be more of a social athlete} This goal will be challenging for me, as an introvert, but I am willing to give it a try! I trained for IMMT last year entirely ALONE. I would love to find local people who are training for triathlons and make new friends. I just joined a new local training team which should help with this! Training with others will be a win-win… making new friends and getting faster in the process!

{Hike more} Although it may seem liked I hiked a lot in 2014, I barely did ANY hiking while training for IMMT.  This year, I am changing up my training to accommodate hikes on weekends in the summer. Hiking is also a fantastic way to train for an Ironman!

Excited to see what the year brings:)

everythingyouwant.jpg (400×374)

• Reply Hailey January 10, 2015 at 1:06 am

Eek! I don’t know a lot about triathlons, but I do know the “k” word! That’s so exciting! Can’t wait to hear about your chasing that goal:)

I can’t believe you trained for an Ironman with such little sleep girl! I would be falling asleep mid run ha.

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Thank you Hailey!! yes working on sleep in 2015!!

• Reply Beth January 10, 2015 at 1:14 am

Very cool goals! Fingers crossed for Kona =)

• Reply Courtney@The TriGirl Chronicles January 10, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Awesome goals! So exciting you’re going for a KQ!!!

I need to get better at biking mechanics. I can change flat, barely, but beyond that I know nothing. I can barely clean my bike without thinking I’m going to break it. I guess I should add that to my goal list too!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Thank you!! also, glad I’m not the only one that needs to work on bike mechanics:) I’m seriously the worse!

• Reply Amy January 10, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Those are some exciting plans-I wish you the best of luck! I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m injury-prone as well and getting more sleep has been put to the top of my list this year. I hope it helps my body recover better to prevents all these aches and pains.

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Thank you Amy!! Being an injury-prone athlete is sooo frustrating. Even more frustrating when you have friends doing the same type of training as you (and never getting hurt!). I try not compare to others, but it’s hard not to think I’m always struggling with something! Here’s to being injury free and well rested in 2015:)

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run January 10, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I am with you on staying injury free! I am about to overhaul all the goals I stated at the beginning of the year- and it’s only Jan 10!!

• Reply Kecia January 10, 2015 at 4:53 pm

YAY for an epic 2015!! I know you are going to get your KQ…with a little more work, proper recovery, adequate strength training (to improve those weaknesses) and pure determination, you will succeed at meeting your goal 😉 I am so excited to cheer you on to a BIGGER and an even BETTER 2015!!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Thank you Kecia!!! Eyes on the prize!! 🙂

• Reply Sherilyn January 10, 2015 at 6:34 pm

With your passion and determination you can do it!!!!!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Thank you so much Sherilyn!

• Reply Kim @ Swimmykimy January 10, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Get it girl!!! You will definitely get to Kona someday 🙂 Keep your eyes on the prize! What local group did you join?! You should join us on some BTT rides, there are a lot of folks doing IMMT! Also, I will be up in NH quite a bit this summer, so if you wanted to join me for a *short* ride on the Timberman course, I would be game! I can’t wait to follow your adventures!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Thank Kim!! I joined the E3 Elite team! But I would love to join you and the BTT folks for some rides! I am in NH a lot over the summer (my parents actually have a house on the Timberman course). I would love to meet up for rides!! Last year I did the course TWICE as a training ride, it was a doozy!

• Reply Desiree January 10, 2015 at 10:50 pm

hUGE goals and I know you will crush each and every one. The journey will be lifetime experience for you also. I had a feeling Kona was on your radar. You will qualify and go I’m sure of it. Exciting about the job stuff too. Being happy in your job is so important. Big year ahead…Go get it!!!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Thank you lady!! yes big things on the horizon!! As long as the body cooperates, I’ll be happy:) I’ll post news about my new ‘gig’ shortly:)

• Reply Kim @ Swimmykimy January 11, 2015 at 12:39 am

Oh also, my secret to getting to bed early?! It’s been hard, but just a lot of discipline and sleepy days have forced me to get to bed earlier and earlier. I try to make sure all of my stuff for the night before is packed 60-30 minutes before I head to bed so I’m not busy buzzing around and feeling stressed before getting to bed. I hope you can work on getting more sleep!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:08 pm

It’s so hard! Jealous you have it mastered:) Staying organized the night before is definitely key!! Oddly enough, I find I’m just not tired until 10 PM.. like I can’t wind down…

• Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead January 11, 2015 at 3:28 am

Awesome goals! So cool that you were that close to Kona on your first IM.

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Thanks Cassie!! Yes close enough to make me very hungry for 2015!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life January 11, 2015 at 4:00 pm

I loved reading your goals and “go big or go home” with you KQ goal! You are so strong and determined and I feel this will happen! You have lots of people in your corner supporting you.

I am anxious to hear more about what is in the works for you on the job front. It sounds very exciting!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Thank you Lee, really appreciate it!! I have a good feeling about 2015, hopefully I can make it happen! Will post soon about the new job.. stay tuned!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats January 12, 2015 at 2:15 am

I think that you are in reach of a Kona slot. You have the drive and motivation!!! Go get it!!! I learned about sleep later in my triathlon “career”. It only gets worse as you get older too. It totally helps with recovery!!! 🙂

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Leslie!!! Yes sleep is definitely a challenge, working on it:)

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles January 12, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Kristin, I KNOW you have a KQ time in your reach. I cannot wait to hear the career news..text or email me, I HAVE to know! I have actually been thinking about you a lot lately. I miss our morning talks at the gym, its not the same without you!!

Here’s to a great 2015! xo

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Thank you Sara!! I will email you:) Keeping things on the DL until the acquisition is final at work! I miss our morning talks too!! xo

• Reply Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork January 13, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Great post! Can totally feel your enthusiasm and I’m excited to see what this year holds for you. Also can’t wait to hear about the career stuff!
    I hear you on the introvert stuff–I am definitely a lone worker-outer (nice word, huh?). I see so many people posting about the great time they had on a run with a friend, a group exercise class, etc., and I know I would probably enjoy it too, but I also like being in my own little world and just getting it done, you know?

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Thanks so much!! I’ll post soon about the exciting career news!! I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes to workout alone:) Running with others is nice, same with taking a class.. but most of the time I just like my workouts to be ‘me time’ where I can really focus!!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 13, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Oooo, I can’t wait to hear about your career aspirations and the potentially new path you will be heading down! Very exciting stuff, as I know you have wanted a change for a while.

And KONA!!! That is so awesome that you will be working toward this in your training. If anyone can do it, it’s you. You have all the right pieces and skills to get there – so there is no doubt in my mind that it is very possible for you! I hear you on the bike strength. I feel like this is the on are where I could improve most as well. Plus, I love riding my bike.

And becoming more of a social athlete (you and I have so many similar aspirations) – I am already beginning to do this and have been around more people in my training so far this year than I probably was last year combined. Haha, not really, but significantly more. It definitely helps and adds a different element to training.

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Thanks Kristen!! yes I HAVE wanted a change for a while, and exciting stuff is on the horizon! I’ll be sure to share when I can:)

Yes, Kona is on my radar, eeeek!! So scary, yet so exciting to think about! I love riding my bike too… I just wish it were EASIER. I will get there, and so will you!!

Love how we can relate to each other so much with our training/personalities. I’m trying REALLY hard to be more social with my workouts… hopefully I can make new in-person training friends this year:)

• Reply erin January 15, 2015 at 3:17 am

Kona is absolutely within your reach, lady! That’s my goal this year, too, so who knows… maybe we’ll be there racing together 🙂 Cannot wait to hear about the job news! So exciting!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:38 pm

I HOPE we can be there together! IF in fact I qualify, it will be a tough one… not too much time after IMMT to recover:)

• Reply my first ever team training weekend! – Sweat Courage June 3, 2015 at 1:14 am

[…] for a little while now, you know that before this year, I mostly trained alone.  One of my 2015 goals was to be more of a ‘social […]

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:32 am

Hey! I know this is somewhat off-topic but I
    had to ask. Does operating a well-established website like yours require a lot of work?
    I’m brand new to operating a blog however I do write in my journal everyday.

I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share
    my personal experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring
    bloggers. Appreciate it!