Countdown to Ironman Mont-Tremblant: 31 Weeks

unnamed

Last week I finally started feeling like I’m training for an Ironman. Working on all three sports (not just swim and bike) makes me feel whole again:) Looking forward to the weeks to come, as I see my progress build, especially with the running! Sticking with my PT exercises daily and making sure to stretch and foam roll consistently!

Here are my Week 32 totals

Swim: 17,400 yards (no, this isn’t a typo)

jan 2

I’m pretty sure I’m turning into a fish! Not to mention, my skin has a perma chlorine stench.

Last week’s focus was once again on swimming! I attended Master’s practice Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.  I worked on my drills and technique on Tuesday and Thursday. What’s amazing is, my shoulders used to bother me when I would swim a lot.  Now that I have corrected my form, just my muscles are getting tired (i.e. my lats, triceps, etc). Love knowing that I’m working the RIGHT muscles and not hurting my joints! Goodbye shoulder pain, hello toned back and arms!

Bike: 52 miles

jan 3

Nothing super eventful on the bike front last week.  A few hour long rides (on the trainer of course) and then a 1:30 ride over the weekend.

My favorite ride last week looked like this:

1:00 Hour Z2 HR Ride

WU: 15′ @ z1
MS: alternate 35′ as 4:50min @ z2 and 10 sec all out effort – repeat
CD: 10′ @ z1

Love doing sprint work on the bike and look forward to doing more of it this week! Again, my mission is to get BIKE STRONG in 2015!

Interestingly enough, my knee bothered me after my bike ride on Saturday, which has me thinking… maybe the bike is the knee pain trigger and not the run?  I am going to have my bike fit reassessed and will have my coach take a look at saddle position. Something just doesn’t feel right and I’m determined to figure it out.

Run: 11 miles

jan 4Run update:  Still taking ‘baby steps’ to prevent any flare ups or step backs with the knee.  So far so good! I have been running 3-4 times/week, 30 minutes at a time. It’s realllly hard when you start feeling better to stop yourself from going extra far. Definitely takes self discipline and a BIG reminder that I’m not safe yet;)

This week the plan is to run a few 35 minute runs and even a 40 minute run.. woo hoo! Each week I will continue to bump the runs by 5 minute increments, until we (coach and I)  know I am totally pain free.

Here’s to a happy and healthy week ahead:)

• Reply erin January 13, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Smart approach to running! Other than a 45-minute run in Austin, the most I’ve ran in the past couple months is 30 minutes! And, good call on getting your bike fit reassessed; it could definitely be the trigger of your knee pain. It’s amazing how one millimeter can make such a difference! Sounds like things are going well with your coach 🙂 (Also, so weird… I can’t see the pics on your blog!)

• Reply Kristin January 13, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Erin!! I also think running only 30 minutes at a time is VERY smart. I learned my lesson, ha! Looking forward to getting a bike assessment to recheck things:) I hear the saddle position can make a HUGE difference. Thanks for letting me know about the pics too, I fixed it! I was copying and pasting photos instead of saving to my WP Media file, oops!!

• Reply Kecia January 13, 2015 at 7:06 pm

WOW…you’ve had a TON of swimming!! Good idea to get a bike fit and make sure everything is right on. It is amazing how things change ever so slightly as our strengths and weaknesses shift. Very smart to start the running out slowly and build up that base before adding to it. 😉

• Reply Kristin January 14, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Yes TONS of swimming! I don’t know if my skin is really like it, but I certainly am:) Yes definitely getting on the run train slowwwwly… I’m so nervous about getting injured again!

• Reply Kecia January 15, 2015 at 1:52 am

I’ve only been swimming 3 days a week, and my skin is not a fan. I can’t imagine what it would be like if I were swimming 5-6 days a week 😉 I too remember that feeling of easing back into running and being worried that I would be injured again…just take it slow and listen to your body, then you should have nothing to worry about. 🙂

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Yes the skin and hair definitely take a beating with the chlorine, ugh. I’ve been using a combination of clarifying shampoo/restoring shampoo which helps the locks:)

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run January 14, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Did they ever say what exactly your knee pain was? Or did they give it the generic “runners knee”? I know you were doing exercises to get your glutes firing more.

• Reply Kristin January 14, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Hi Megan, They didn’t really diagnose it per se… I was told by various people that the pain was being caused by the quad being overused and the hips and glutes being ‘weak.’ I’m a ‘special’ case in the sense that I’ve already HAD surgery on this knee in 2010 (scope) and I am prone to getting tendinitis as a result. It’s something I certainly have to stay on top of!!

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run January 21, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I had a scope last year to remove a plica! What type of tendonitis is one more prone to get with having a scope? Or just any tendonitis? sorry for all of the questions. 🙂

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run January 21, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Also, they pretty much told me the same thing at PT that they told you- weak hips and glutes, quad dom.

• Kristin January 21, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Not surprised! get going on those rehab exercises my friend;)

• Reply Kristin January 21, 2015 at 6:58 pm

What I have been told is, any time you have a knee procedure, like a scope, it puts you at risk for any type of tendinitis (unfortunately). Honestly, I think you are more prone to injuries in general, after having surgery. I thought my scope was minor and everything would be all ‘fixed’ after the fact.. little did I know I would have things like tendinitis and hip issues… one things leads to another, but it’s all about staying on top of it!

• Megan @ Meg Go Run January 23, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I thought the SAME thing- minor surgery, I would be fixed. Turns out I don’t think I needed knee surgery to begin with because I am still plagued with the same problems. 🙁 Scope removed a plica but I don’t think the plica was causing the inflammation. So frustrating. I have been diligent with my exercises though and have only skipped one day in the past 2 weeks!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 14, 2015 at 11:48 pm

You swam SIX days?? Girl, how do you do it? Do you usually swim in the morning, afternoon, or evening? Oh, and do you use any special shampoo/condition etc? I’ve been asking around for recommendations. So glad to hear you are back in action and participating in all three sports. Sending pain-free knee vibes your way. 🙂

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:48 pm

I know, crazy right?! I always swim in the morning (99% of the time at least). Masters practice is 5:30 AM Mon/Weds/Fri:) I have been loving Living Proof Restore Shampoo and Conditioner:) Keeps my hair soft after I swim! Thanks Kristen, so happy to be feeling strong again!!

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles January 15, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Yay, these weeks are going to FLY by! Can’t wait to see how your training evolves! Miss you! xo

• Reply Hayley@healthyregardshayley January 16, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Great week in the pool! I just found your blog and look forward to following your journey to Mont-Tremblant!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Hayley! And thank you for reading:)

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats January 19, 2015 at 1:56 am

Awesome week!! Sounds like your swimming is going amazingly!!! It will be interesting to see what happens with your bike and fit to see if that is the problem with your knee…or is it your IT band that is that is making your knee sore??!! 🙁

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:34 pm

When meeting with my coach, we discovered the seat is definitely too low. This might be playing a role with my knee pain, but we know for sure that my glutes and hips were weak! Now that I’ve worked on glute and hip strength, I’ve noticed a HUGE difference. I hope the raised saddle helps the knee going forward:)

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life January 19, 2015 at 4:48 pm

You go girl with that swim mileage! Very impressive! It is great that you are feeling strong but assessing your bike position early on, before your mileage really ramps up. Good stuff!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Thanks Lee!! Yes need to look at bike position EARLY on, for sure!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:33 am

Hi there, its good piece of writing regarding media print, we
    all be aware of media is a great source of data.