Countdown to Ironman Mont-Tremblant: 30 Weeks + getting my groove back!

Jan 20 209

Last week was a great week of workouts, where I finally found my groove again! I’m at the point where I feel as though I am actually training for something, not just doing off-season work.  To put things in perspective, it’s now been six weeks since my knee was actually in pain.  I’ve been running and biking pain free and I must say, it’s an awesome feeling!

Mantra this week:

“Nothing worth having comes easy. Do work.”

Week 30 Totals:

• 14:38 total hours of training
  • 15,000 yards swimming (8.5 miles)
  • 3 hours 37 mins on the bike
  • 16 miles of running

Here’s a recap of what I was up to last week

Monday 1/12

Masters Swim Practice! 3,200 yards. This workout include a set that was a 1,650 (1 mile) without stopping. I was honored when my lane-mates nominated me to lead the group. I doubted myself at first and worried I wouldn’t be able to lead without people having to pass me. I proved myself wrong in the end, when I started lapping my lane-mates. I finished 50 yards before the rest of the group finished. I left practice that day feeling very proud. Proud of how far I’ve come, especially leading a full mile for a group of people that I used to be in the back of, yay!

That evening I had a 30 minute easy run outside. I decided to take this run outside, despite the rain and black ice on the roads. The weather has been really tricky lately.. in the 40’s one minute, 20’s the next. This means the roads have been very unpredictable. What I thought would be wet sidewalks turned into black ice sidewalks. I wore my head lamp, reflective, gear etc.. and was happy to make it home in one piece. Is it Daylight Savings yet?

Jan 20 073

Tuesday 1/13

Swim drills! 2,000 yards, including lots of balance drills. I did a combination of ankle band sets, side kick drills, all working on rotation and breathing. Practice makes perfect!

Jan 20 080

After my swim I rushed home to get on my bike before work. I biked for 1 hour, which was a total sweat-fest. I also caught up on Downton Abby! While watching Downton, I did a series of 20 sec sprints in the workout below. This was the first time in a while I felt like I was actually TRAINING again.

I wore my NEW Coeur shorts… love, love, love!!

Jan 20 090

WU: 15′ @ z1
MS: alternate 40′ as 4:40min @ z2 and 20 sec all out effort – repeat
CD: 5′ @ z1

Wednesday 1/14

Masters swim practice! 3,000 total yards, mix of freestyle and stroke swimming. I was asked to lead sets again during the workout and it felt good! People on my team are noticing I’m getting faster and are telling me to keep up the good work.

That evening I ran for 35 minutes, SLOW on the treadmill. After the black ice on Monday, I wasn’t taking any chances. I am lucky to have a treadmill in my basement/pain cave, so it makes it very convenient!

Thursday 1/15

Thursday was exhausting (in a good way)

Swim drill day. 2,500 yards swimming with a lane to myself (oh the little joys in life). My swim workout include once again, balance drills! Worked on swimming with and without the pull buoy, kicking on one side and rotation drills. I also did a set of all – out sprints (4 x 125’s with the 1st 25 all-out). This workout was mentally tough and I wasn’t having as much fun as I typically do in the water. I think probably because I was starting to ‘burn’ out from swim overload. It’s frustrating when you are doing a workout and your head just isn’t in the game… I could not focus! I just wanted the swim session to be over and this frustrated me. Oh well, not every workout can be perfect or fun. I made the best of it and still got it done.

Pilates class during lunch! My work offers Pilates class once a week in our fitness center. I’ve been going every Thursday for the past couple of months and I love it! I am noticing that I’m getting stronger at each class, but it still totally kicks my butt (literally). The burning feeling you get in your abs after a tough core workout is the best! Class is an hour long and it can be killer.

During the evening I rode my bike for 1 hour w/ intervals. Lucky for me I had a spike in energy and I was able to get it done! The workout felt amazing and it was my most difficult bike ride in a long time. My heart rate actually got over 170 bpm and I haven’t seen that number in a while! It felt SO good to be working hard again and with no knee pain.

Jan 20 134

WU: 20′ @ z1, 5′ @ z4, 5′ @ z2
MS: 3 x (3×20 sec @ all out, 20 sec @ z1 or lower as recovery) – 3′ @ z2 as rest between sets
9 min @ Z2
CD: 10′ @ z1

Friday 1/16

Jan 20 154
36 minutes of running in the morning at an easy pace. It had snowed a little bit the night before, so the sidewalks had a light coating.. it was quite beautiful. It was 22 degrees outside which as crazy as it sounds, felt really warm. The snow felt soft on my legs and I was just so happy! 4 miles total before the work day.

Jan 20 148

Saturday 1/17

Took my workout down to the pain cave for 1.5 hours of riding. It was another sweat-fest, that’s for sure!  I have actually been using RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion) on the bike, until I re-test my HR zones. Coach was waiting until my knee got to 100% before re-testing. We will test soon! I listened to music for this one, since it wasn’t too long of a ride. I’ve been liking the BEATS App since you can make your own playlists.

DCIM100GOPROGOPR0565.

WU: 30′ @ z1
MS: Do the follow progression:
10 min as 6 min @ z2, 4 min @ z3
10 min as 7min @ z2, 3 min @ z4
10 min as 8min @ z2, 2 min @ high z4
10 min as 9min @ z2, 1 min @ z5
10 min as 9:30min @ z2, 30 sec @ all out
CD: 10′ @ 60-65% CP (critical power)

My goal this week it to actually try virtual power via TrainerRoad or VirtualTraining. I’ve heard good things about using Virtual Power and it will save me time before actually buying a power meter. Virtual power uses your  bike trainer and your ant+ speed/cadence sensor to give you a measure of power (watts). You have to have a trainer that’s compatible with TrainerRoad or VirtualTraining to be able to use it (I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine). Have you used virtual power before?

After my ride, we went to a delicious brunch! There’s nothing better after a good workout on a Saturday. My meal was a veggie scramble with potatoes and toast… mmmm.

Jan 20 176

Later that afternoon I met with my NEW coach!!

Yes, I signed up with a new 1 x 1 coach which is VERY exciting! This will be my first time having a one-on-one tri coach, which should make a HUGE difference for me. I took this decision very seriously and I researched lots of coaches (and prices). Selecting a coach is not an easy process, as you have to be sure it’s the right fit for YOU. I am pleased to say I’m happy with my decision and I look forward to making progress with my new coach.

Last season (and the previous one) I didn’t actually have a coach who I could call, text, email with questions. I received my program and could ask questions via a forum, but that was it.  While this was a great first step into being coached, I knew this year that I wanted more. I am looking for an edge in 2015, not just a program. My new coach is local which was a huge deciding factor in picking a coach for the 2015 season. On Saturday afternoon I met with him in person for 3 hours and we did everything from a running gait analysis, bike analysis, body fat analysis… etc… lots of exciting stuff! Needless to say, I really like him and our session got me very excited for 2015! He sees lots of potential!

Sunday 1/18

Masters Swim practice, 4,300 yards! I have been really liking Sunday practice lately. Sunday practices are longer than during the week (1.5 hours) and it’s a different coach so it switches things up a bit!

During practice I also fueled with Osmo Nutrition for the first time and LOVED it! Really enjoyed the flavor and the fact that it kept me going during the extra long practice.

Jan 20 187

In the afternoon I ran for 40 minutes with Todd outside. It was a beautiful run (temps in the 40’s!) with a light rain… which soon turned into a heavy rain. Todd has been running 2-3 times a week and he has made great progress, I’m so proud of him! He’s not a crazy athlete like myself, so this makes me so happy:)

DCIM100GOPROGOPR0574.

In addition to my workouts, I worked on physical therapy exercises every night. I had a follow up PT appointment yesterday and I was cleared to stop going to PT, and to just continue my rehab at home. My PT re-tested my hip and glute strength and said I have made great progress… yay!! It definitely paid off doing all of those boring exercises;)

Here’s to a great week ahead!

• Reply The Padre January 20, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Totally Awesome!! Keep Hydrated & Stay Strong

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Thank you!!! Will try my best:)

• Reply Amy January 20, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I’m so glad your knee is better and you’re into your training groove. I had an ultrasound and X-ray done on my right knee today, but I won’t get the results for a week…It’s going to be a long week.

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Thank you Amy! Sorry to hear you have been having knee troubles too:( Did you happen to get an MRI as well? Just curious! It’s so hard to wait when you just WANT to know what’s wrong with you. I totally understand what you are going through. Thinking positive thoughts for you:) Hopefully your pain is due to muscle imbalance and is nothing serious.

• Reply Amy January 20, 2015 at 8:21 pm

No MRI yet…they wanted to try this first-darn. I’m very anxious for some answers. I’m not able to run or bike right now and can’t get to the pool very often due to my schedule, so I’m going a bit nuts with the lack of activity.

• Reply Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork January 20, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Amazing work! I hear you on the PT stuff. Just have to keep up with it and it’s totally worth it. I think we forget when we’re better what it took for us to get there and we can slide back into old habits. I’ve been especially good with keeping up with my tennis elbow exercises even at 6 months out. Hope the knee continues to get better and better!

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Thanks so much!! Yes and the KEY is sticking to the PT exercises well after you get better! My goal is not to slide back into bad habits, like you mention here. It’s so easy to just go back to our old ways isn’t it?! Good for you for sticking with your elbow exercises! I’m sure it’s paying off big time:)

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life January 20, 2015 at 8:12 pm

So much positivity in the post…very exciting! From your great feelings leading the swims to training without pain to working with your new coach. Great stuff!! Very happy for you.

• Reply Kristin January 20, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Thank you Lee, appreciate it!! Last week was a VERY uplifting week for me.. I like to think I’ve turned a corner:)

• Reply Hailey January 20, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Yay. So glad things are going so well for you now and that your knee is feeling better! And so exciting about making such progress in your swimming!

• Reply Kristin January 21, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Hailey!! Yes super excited about my swim progress! It’s been a long time coming:)

• Reply Desiree January 21, 2015 at 1:41 am

So happy to hear you are back at it and had a great week training wise. I know it feels good. I finally caved and will see a sports dr tomorrow. I saw him back in 2009 for a similar issue (low back, hip, piriformis) so hoping he can get me back to 100% again. Along with PT, I’m sure. Also loving Downton Abby. My favorite series right now.

• Reply Kristin January 21, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Desiree!! Keep me posted on what the Dr says, thinking positive thoughts for you:) Loove Downton! It gets me through my trainer rides!

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run January 21, 2015 at 1:46 am

I would love if you did a post detailing your PT exercises!

• Reply Kristin January 21, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I’ll post some soon!! Thanks for letting me know:)

• Reply Kecia January 21, 2015 at 12:50 pm

What an awesome week Kristin!! I’m glad to hear your PT exercises (while small and somewhat annoying) are working wonders for you…it is amazing how the little things sometimes make the biggest difference 😉 I have been using Osmo Nutrition for about a year and ABSOLUTELY LOVE it!! I hope it works for you like it has for me!! What a great start to your 2015 training season…keep this momentum going forward 😉

• Reply Kristin January 21, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Thanks Kecia!! Yes it is amazing, isn’t it?! Good to know you also love Osmo! Do you take it for recovery as well?

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles January 21, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Great week my friend, you constantly amaze me! Who did you end up going with for a coach? I hope its an awesome experience!

• Reply Kristin January 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Thanks Sara!! I ended up going with E3 Training, and my coach is Jorge.. he’s the head coach for E3 and works with a lot of elite athletes too!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats January 21, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Great week!! Congrats on getting a coach. It makes a HUGE difference! I can’t believe how much you are swimming!! Beast!!! It total helps when you have a masters team too!! You are going to have an epic year!!!

• Reply Kristin January 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Thanks lady!! I can’t wait to see what a difference a 1 x 1 coach makes!! I am swimming like crazy, ha ha. Yes Masters totally helps with the motivation factor too:)

• Reply Kim @ Swimmykimy January 22, 2015 at 2:05 am

Wow!!! Good for you! What an awesome week 🙂 I’m so proud of you for smashing that 1650!!! Be careful running outside, this time of year can be so treacherous outside. Who is your new coach?!?!?

• Reply Kristin January 22, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Kim!! I was so excited about the 1650! I think if were to ever swim in a meet, that would be my choice of event. I know… it is sketchy running outside this time of year… promise to be careful:) New coach is Jorge with E3 Training!

• Reply erin January 24, 2015 at 3:28 am

So much good stuff in here! Coeur shorts! Osmo! Crushing your swimming! New coach! I’m so excited you found someone… he sounds like a great fit, and I can’t wait to see what you accomplish this year! Hope you had a super week!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 27, 2015 at 2:12 am

I love that you have a mantra each week. It’s true that one week can be completely different from another. Um, have you turned into a fish!?! 15,000 yards is insane! Way to be strong and fierce in the water. I wish I had that kind of ambition – maybe someday. How do you like Downton Abby? It seems to win a lot of awards, but every time I have watched a scene it seems really slow… That is SO exciting that you now have a one-on-one coach! It will make such a difference in little ways here and there. How did you pick? Great week of training – and it’s only the beginning!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:36 am

I have been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours these days, yet
    I never discovered any fascinating article like
    yours. It’s lovely price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content material
    as you probably did, the net can be a lot more helpful than ever before.