Countdown to Ironman Mont-Tremblant: 29 Weeks // feeling the burn!

photo 3

Ok now I am starting to feel the burn! Which is sooo much better than feeling aches and pains. All of my rehab work must have done it’s job, because now I can struggle through enjoy my workouts without pain… focusing on the workout itself and the BURN that comes with it.  That VO2 max kind of burn when your insides feel like they are on fire… I love it!

Mantra of the week:

“Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.”

Last week was a tough week! It’s interesting how things are put into perspective, depending on what point in the season we are in. If I were to do last weeks workouts (in July) I would think it was an easy week. But for right now, this is not the case. I have learned to live in the now and embrace the training as it comes:) and where I currently stand with my fitness and strength, last week was TOUGH, no doubt.

I have started to pick up more difficult bike workouts and my runs are getting longer. This has left my legs feeling heavy, like yesterday when I felt like I was sinking at Masters practice. I ended last week with a beautiful hike on Saturday in the White Mountains, which I will recap later… so much fun!

Here is what I was up to… and what caused that burning feeling…

WEEK 30 TOTALS:

• 14.5 Total Hours
  • 15,000 yards swam (8.5 miles)
  • 3.5 hours biked
  • 16 miles ran

1/19

30 minute recovery run… easy peasy.

Physical therapy/ rehab exercises. My PT cleared me from having to go back and said I have made great process in my strength (hips + glutes) hooray!

1/20

photo 3 (3)
Swim drill day!

2,000 yards, kick drills, pull buoy, ankle band, swim smooth drills. I actually learned through one of my drills that I am not exhaling enough in the water. I always thought I was exhaling properly, until I read this about exhalation. You are supposed to exhale for the entire time your head is in the water (bubble, bubble, breathe). I was exhaling for maybe half the time. Oops! I also focused a lot on bilateral breathing during this workout.

photo 2 (3)

Bike- Anerobic sets (my favorite… seriously)

I turned up the heat in the basement and sweat it out for an hour… hurt so good! Since raising the saddle on my bike, my quads are getting less fatigued and my knees no longer ache during the ride, or post ride.  I also have noticed I’m incorporating my hamstrings a lot more than before.

WU: 20′ @ Z1, 5′ as 30′ @ Z4, 5′ @ Z2
MS: 4 x (3×20 sec @ all out, 40 sec @ Z1 or lower as recovery) – 3′ @ z1 as rest between sets
CD: 6′ @ Z1-Z2

1/21

Swim 3,100 yds at Masters Practice

Stretching and foam rolling + PT exercises (bridges with band, clamshells, single leg squats, squats with band, etc)

photo 1 (2)

40 min EASY run outside. I ran in the dark and it wasn’t too icy, which was a bonus! I kept a steady 8:20 min mile pace, and was happy to see my pace in the ‘low’ 8’s… it’s been a while! Side note: working on finding a better headlamp, because I’m currently using my camping headlamp, which does not stay on my head. Can anyone recommend a good one?

At the end of my run, I was scheduled to do 3 x 10 second hill sprints! I found a moderate hill at the end of my route and did some sprints for the first time since probably July! It felt amazing.

photo 2 (2)

1/22

Swim drills! 2,050 yards

photo 3 (2)
Lots of ankle band and paddles work. I love using paddles in the pool. I find now that my technique has improved, I am actually using paddles properly and not overusing my shoulders.

Pilates class during lunch for one hour.  This class seriously kicked my booty. The instructor had use the Pilates ‘ring i.e. evil torture device.  I was really feeling the burn! If you have never seen it before, it’s literally a ring that you squeeze with your arms or legs while doing core work, think of it as extra isometric work while doing abs:)

1:00 bike ride, VO2 MAX work (using the RPE scale and watching my heart rate)
WU: 25′ @ z1-z2, 5′ ON/OFF as 10 sec @ z4/ 50 sec @ z1, 5 ‘ @ z2
MS: 10×30″ (30″ z1 rest) @ z5
10′ @ z2
CD: 5’ @ z1-z2

I was a sweaty mess after this one….

photo 4 (2)

I was tiiiired by the end of this workout… especially after swimming AND Pilates earlier in the day. My legs felt heavy and the sprints totally crushed me.

1/23

photo 1
40 min easy run outside… took it nice.and.slow.

Looking at my pace in the 8:30’s can be a little frustrating, but I need to remind myself that I am GETTING there.  Once day I’ll be back to my old self… one day I’ll be running in the 7’s again.  I just need to be patient…

1/24

Hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire
Cannon Mountain 6.2 miles round trip (2,350 ft elevation gain!).  This hike marked out 37th 4,000 footer in New Hampshire (out of 48). I can’t believe how close we are getting to the finish!

Coach gave me the thumbs up to hike instead of bike, so I was happy! Weather conditions were optimal and this was certainly a great workout… super steep. More to come about this hike, including lots of photos!!

photo 5

1/25

Masters swim practice! 1.5 hours, 4,100 yards

Again, loving Sunday swim practice lately. It starts at 7:00 AM every Sunday and it’s a great way to get the day started.  It can be hard to wake up at 6:30 on a weekend day, but I am always happy when I go.
One set at practice was 2 x 400 pull (descending pace for the 2nd one) holy arms!

How is your training going?

Any tips for being patient after an injury?

• Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead January 28, 2015 at 3:52 am

Your training is awe-inspiring!! What did you decide about Boston?

• Reply Kristin February 5, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Thank you!! Still not sure, taking it day by day. I have a long run this weekend coming up! 10 miles!

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails January 28, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Pilates has been a Godsend for me as of late. It’s really helped with my knee issues as well as my deep core. I wish I could offer up words of wisdom on having patience when rehabbing an injury but alas, I am absolutely horrible when it comes to this, ha ha.
    Good call on raising your saddle. That should definitely keep your knees happy. Nice week of workouts lady!

• Reply Kristin February 5, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Isn’t it awesome?! So glad to hear Pilates has helped you as well. It’s so hard being patient when injured, ugh!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats January 28, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Awesome work!! I have a hard time being patient too! I just try and embrace what I am supposed to do now. Try not think about what is in the future or what was in the past!!

• Reply Kristin February 5, 2015 at 3:10 pm

It’s so hard!! I know, I need to just enjoy being able to swim and bike like crazy… the running will come back eventually:)

• Reply Desiree January 28, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Sounds like you had a good training week. Encouraging!! I am still at the “struggle through” phase but hope to get to the “enjoyment” phase soon. PT started this week for me and I have my work cut out for me. Would be interested to know how your PT experience was? Pilates is awesome. I need to practice it again. My tip for being patient after an injury is to focus on the fact that you are not hurting/struggling in the workout. Your pace/endurance will come back, trust me.

• Reply Kristin February 5, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Thank you! Yes it was a great week and I’m getting stronger every day. My PT experience was just OK. They were really nice and helped me with exercises, but then I just did a lot on my own. I think they diagnosed it properly, but they definitely don’t do a lot of hands on work. I get all of my hands on work done at the chiropractor or by my trigger point specialist. Thanks for your advice 🙂

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust January 29, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I have a Petzl headlamp that is perfect for running. I’ve never had any issues with it and it stays nice and snug the entire time.

I sprained my ankle during yesterday’s run and was told by my PT today that I would have to stay off my feet through the weekend. This will definitely be a true test of patience. I just keep reminding myself, in the grand scheme of things, this is only a blip in time. Who doesn’t like a little downtime, right? (hint of sarcasm there). 😉

• Reply Kristin February 5, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I also have a Petzl, but does not have a strap that goes over my head… do you have one of those by chance? Mine just falls down a lot:(

So sorry to hear about your ankle, omg! I hope everything is OK kristen. Ha! about the downtime, it’s the worst… I totally get it.

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles January 30, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Great week and even better news that you were cleared of PT! I love your water bottle, that is awesome!

And just remember what is hard for you now will be a breeze for you in a few months!

• Reply Kristin February 5, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Thanks Sara! Yes, I’m psyched about no more PT!

• Reply Hayley@healthyregardshayley January 30, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Being patient post injury is hard! I have been there for 13 months ): But what has helped me the most is to think big picture. Do I really NEED to push through this run for today or would I rather be running for the next 50 years once I am injury free?

• Reply Kristin February 5, 2015 at 3:17 pm

It’s soooo hard!! Yes you need to think of the BIG picture, it’s so important. Sometimes I find it very hard to think of the long term, since I’m do focused on the now. It’s a never ending battle, right?

• Reply Kecia January 31, 2015 at 2:46 pm

What a great week!! I’m so glad you’ve been cleared of PT and are ready to start testing the waters…just don’t test them too quickly 😉

• Reply Kristin February 5, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Thanks kecia!! me too! Ha, yes I learned my lesson with testing things TOO quickly!