mind racing.

Thoughts. [Found on my-teen-quote.tumblr.com via Tumblr]

What is the secret that keeps the mind from racing? I wish I knew because I could use it lately. My thoughts have been going round and round like a hamster wheel.  Thinking about EVERYTHING from my career {job change?}, to my triathlon season {nerves about training}, to the boston marathon {is it a good idea?}, to Christmas gifts {haven’t even started shopping}… I’m sort of going crazy:).  All of this thinking has been keeping me up and night and is making me quite stressed out.

Adding to the mix is some big news I got while at my conference in CA last week. My company is getting acquired and there is a high potential for layoffs in the near future… oy! The bright side is, now perhaps I can REALLY figure out what I want my next career move to be. I’m thinking of this as a little ‘kick in the pants.’ Time to get my butt in gear and figure things out. The problem is, I still feel lost at 31 years old. I’m jealous of people who have a career and a path that they are passionate about.  I honestly have never had that… ever. When you are used to going to the same office every day and staying busy, it’s easy to just forget about your dreams. Also, add to the mix Ironman training and you really don’t have time to think about the future!

Now more than ever, might just be the perfect time for me to do some {job} + {soul} searching. It’s easy to put dreams on the back burner. The hard part is facing them head on and taking risks.  Here’s to taking risks and trying to figure it all out… or at least some of it:)

Todd's IPhone UTAH 274

Do you have a career you love? How did you figure it all out?

• Reply Desiree December 19, 2014 at 11:49 am

If it makes you feel better, I’m not done Christmas shopping either. I’m normally much more prepared by this time of Dec. Trying not to let the stress of the holiday take away my joy of Christmas. As for the job situation, I understand where you are coming from but from a whole different view. I will be 40 next year, I have been a stay at home mom for the past 15 years (well a couple part time jobs in the mix). Taking it season by season but lately I have been doing a lot of soul searching for my future in employment. Kids college is around the corner. I feel I’m too old to just do a job to do it, I have to ENJOY it!! Hang in there, you will know what step to take and when to take it.

• Reply Abby December 19, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Sounds like you need some good old R&R, whether that’s in the form of a couple awesome sweat sessions, a great hike with the hubby and pup, or a nice spa treat.
    I couldn’t slow my mind down about a year ago- too much going on and not enough time to deal with it! I bought valerian drops from a health food store and drank a few drops with water before bed. It helped out a ton! Obviously that’s just a short term fix, but at least it’ll help you sleep!

It’s not easy to make a big change from a stable career. However, if you’re not happy in your current one, now might be the time! I wish I had an answer for you on how to figure it all out.

Thinking of you, and wishing you some peace over the holidays and a lot of big dream searching in the new year!

• Reply M @readeatwriterun December 19, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Sounds like you’ve got a lot going on, some chosen, some not. Remember that your body responds to all stress – physical, mental and emotional and chosen/not – the same way. Take some time to decompress with yoga, meditation, walks, journaling, goofy movies – whatever works for you.

I’ve had two careers I loved (or at least liked a lot 😉 both were dreams that came true – currently in my 2nd one – both of them big changes from who and what I was/did before each one. Figure out what you want and go after it, keeping the steps you’ll need to take to get there in the meantime (including keeping yourself fed, housed, insured, etc. along the way).

No one has it all figured out. We change and everything and everyone around us is changing at the same time. Nothing is static – that’s an illusion. Pay attention to what brings you joy, what makes you feel alive and energized and positive, what makes you feel like your best self – and go toward those things as much as possible. If it’s not a “hell yes” “wow” “oh boy” “I GOTTA do that” “I LOVE that” “that was so much fun/made me feel so good”, move on. You may have to do things other than what you love to earn a living, practical realities being what they are, but fill your life with all the good and joy you can, surround yourself with people who lift you up and make you want to be better – life is short.

Wishing you the best.

• Reply Kristin December 22, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Thank you for the beautifully written response:) I am feeling better since writing this post, but still feeling lost:) The hard part in making a BIG change is, you can’t always leave your current job situation to explore a new one… right now I definitely feel ‘static’ in my current role .. time to find out how to move onto bigger and better things!

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run December 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I have a career I love… for now. But I don’t know if I will be able to hack it forever! I teach music at a public elem. school. I do love it but it is HARD and very tiring. I don’t know if I will be able to do it my whole life. But luckily, life is long, and I think it will be okay if I decide on a career change partway through! I also teach private piano lessons at my house, which I love and is a lot less stressful than teaching a classroom of 25 children. So I could always just expand my studio. I also do personal training on the side…. VERY on the side- not time consuming at all. But that is something else I could make full time if I really wanted to. I have a feeling that may be even more stressful than teaching if I did it full time!

• Reply Kristin December 22, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I’m so jealous you have a career that you love. Great that you have the option to teach private lessons! I used to person train, and have thought about getting back into it, but it can be stressful and takes A WHILE to build up clients. Would love to maybe do it on the side one day.

• Reply Karen December 21, 2014 at 4:20 am

You’ll figure it out. Some things take time and eventually, they work out. Just keep doing what makes you happy.

• Reply Kristin December 22, 2014 at 2:02 pm

• Reply Kecia December 23, 2014 at 2:24 am

Sometimes the nudge is just what you need to pursue something new that just might become the best thing ever. I am envious of you in that you are getting pushed to try something different. I feel like my career has me on a merry-go-round and it is never going to stop so I can get off. I need to take some time and {job} + {soul} search as well. If you find that perfect career, I’d love to know what it is 😉

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles December 23, 2014 at 2:50 am

Kristin, I know we have talked about your need for a career change for the past few years and this may be the right time to do it. If you are laid off, take the package and take some time to try a few new things. As scary as it is, its easier to make these changes now than 5 years from now when your situation may be very different. Call me if you want to talk through things, but I know you will find something you love…you deserve it my friend! xo

• Reply erin December 29, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Oh, friend… how I wish we lived closer so we could get coffee and chat all day about this! I am in the exact same boat and know that if I don’t do something NOW, it will suddenly be five years from now, and I’ll still be doing something I loathe, just getting by because it’s an easy paycheck. That’s not how I want to live my life! At all. I think sometimes you just have to leap and take the risk. Just like IM, right?! We had no idea what it would entail, but we did it anyway, checking off workouts one day at a time, working toward that big goal. I need to start treating my career like that! Nothing worth having comes easy, nor does it happen overnight. We WILL get through this, lady! Always here to chat 🙂

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats January 1, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I am right there with you!! The problem is I have a “good” career. I get paid well. I don’t work as much as some people. I am vested in a good 401K. I can take time off when I want. The problem is I hate it! it is hard to walk away from all that good stuff.
    Getting a little kick in the ass will probably do you good. You seem very determined in life. You probably just need an opportunity to go somewhere else or do something different!!! 🙂

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:17 am

I blog quite often and I genuinely appreciate your information. This article
    has really peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information about
    once a week. I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.