back to training (well, sort of)

Nov 24 14 144

I officially made it through my first week back into training… but this was not without a setback. I’ll get to that shortly…

so many stupid decisions in the past!

So I’m back to having a training schedule and this makes ‘type A’ me very excited! I love having a plan to follow and I love training, this equals a win-win. While I am no longer in my ‘off season’ I’m also not going to be training like a madwoman. The plan I am currently following is a ‘base training’ plan until mid- January.

Base training means the following:

• I am working at mostly ZR (recovery heart rate) and Z1 (zone 1 heart-rate).
  • I won’t be logging a TON of hours just yet, but merely easing into things.
  • Strength work will be incorporated 3 x week for these next few weeks at an easy, high rep rate and then heavier weights in the weeks to follow.
  • All of my bike rides (on the trainer from now on) will be at 95 + RPM. Think high cadence, low resistance.
  • Easing back into running.

Here is what last week looked like:

Monday
Swim at Masters Practice 3,000 yards
Adaptive Strength Training

Tuesday
Swim 32 minutes // focus on balance drills learned in Swim Stroke Clinic
RUN 35 minutes @ recovery pace (so excited to be running after 3 weeks off!)

Wednesday
Bike 1:10 on the trainer // high cadence, low resistance
Adaptive Strength Training (lat pull down, rows, squats, hamstring curls, etc)

Dec 1 2014 067

Thursday (Thanksgiving)

Thanks4Giving 10K Run

First Female overall out of ~ 60 women, 7th overall out of ~ 200 people.. 41:43 (not to mention it was closer to 6.4 miles.. I was going wayyyy too fast)

Dec 1 2014 097

Todd ran the 5K, I probably should have too

After the race I was feeling pretty good (just tight hamstrings).

That afternoon we enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner with my parents, sister and a few relatives.  Our families are both within a 10 mile radius of where we live… makes seeing family on holidays very easy (but can be stressful, ha!).  This year it was a small get together, which was really nice.

Friday

• Wake up… knee hurt immediately, hamstrings sore = angry Kristin
  • Attempt to ride my bike, knee and quad hurt so much that I can’t continue… stop at 45 minutes
  • Unable to flex/extend my left leg with out pain (what the heck did I do?!)
  • Now I’m realllly angry… at myself & no one else.

Saturday

• Reach out to my coach… tell him that I’m in pain… and the reason why…
  • Reveal to coach that I raced a 10K WITHOUT permission, when I had only gone running twice in 3 WEEKS #EGO #DUMMY
  • Use the excuse that I’ve done this race before and it was ‘only a 10K’
  • Coach isn’t happy with me… I’m supposed to stick to the plan. I only am supposed to race when I’ve trained for 4-5 weeks for that race NOT 4-5 DAYS. Who knew?! (I knew this… shhh)
  • Proceed to beat myself over doing the 10K (and fast) for the next 48 hours, basically ruining my long weekend (my poor husband)
  • Go for a swim to get some endorphins out
  • Get our Christmas Tree!

Sunday

• Wake up… in less pain than Friday/Saturday
  • Attend Masters Swim Practice… swim 4,250 yards! My arms = toast!
  • Still angry at myself… whyyy did I try and race the 10K period, let alone why did I try and PR?
  • Realize that I went against everything that I’ve learned over this past year and did not follow advice I’ve given to others
  • Ego sucks. Apparently I’m too competitive to just ‘jog’ a turkey trot… I had nothing to prove.. seriously!

Attend 3rd and final swim stroke clinic… making progress but still have a long way to go… continue to be frustrated.  Let me just say that my wetsuit is my best friend because without it, I would not have the speed I do in open water. My balance is wayyy off in the water.

Dec 1 2014 207

Today (Monday)

• Knee feels the best it’s felt since Thursday.
  • I’ve been told by coach to just swim-swim-swim for the rest of the week and to incorporate easy biking starting tomorrow.
  • I think this might be just a flare up, but I hope and pray it’s nothing else.
  • This is a text book case of: ‘too much, too soon.’

Sorry if this post comes off as whining, but I had to let it out. I honestly think the worst feeling in the world is letting YOURSELF down. Sure it’s awful to let other people down, but letting yourself down? It hurts. I have to live with the fact that I set myself back because of a silly thanksgiving race. I let my ego get the best of me. I have no one to be mad at for myself. I also feel like I hypocrite because I would never advise ANYONE to do what I did.

Coach thinks that if I take it easy this week, that hopefully I’ll miss just a few days because of this, not months. He tells me to be positive and to stop beating myself up (easier said than done!). He told me to think of this as a time to work on my swimming and to get faster in the pool! Speaking of the pool… I swam over 5,000 yards yesterday, yikes!

Tomorrow I might attempt to bike (really easy) and see how things feel.  I also will be going to trigger point therapy in hopes that it’s my tight quad causing the knee pain. And…. hopefully by the end of this week I’ll have some good news.

In the meantime, I’ll just try and keep my head up:)

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life December 2, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Sounds like you have a great coach who is giving even better advice to not be too hard on yourself and focus on swimming for a bit. Way to knock out some serious yardage, by the way! Impressive!!

• Reply Kristin December 2, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Definitely, Lee! He basically told me to stop being SO negative! There’s no reason for it.. especially when I can still swim:) Thank you… my arms are definitely feeling it!

• Reply M @readeatwriterun December 2, 2014 at 2:27 pm

We’ve all been there! You’re not whining. And maybe by sharing this, you’ll help someone else not fall prey to the ego monster.

That’s a lot of swimming (says the runner who can barely swim for XT but loves pool running….need to work on my swim).

Could be your VMO pulling on knee, I’ve had that happen some. Trigger point (or my chiro doing ART and some e-stim) can help.

Fingers crossed a little time off now takes care of it. Look at it this way: you’ve done this really early in your training cycle, when there’s time to recover, and now you’ll be much more cautious for at least the rest of the cycle (RIGHT?) which could prevent you from doing something that’s more damaging to your health, your ability to train or race a particular race.

My best to you!

• Reply Kristin December 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Thank you so much, really appreciate it:) I hope I can inspire others to ignore the ego monster. Ego can be such an evil thing!

Yes lots of swimming… the good thing is, I really enjoy it:)

Funny you mention this about the VMO. I actually think that is the culprit to my knee pain. A few weeks ago, I got trigger point needle therapy in my VMO. While I was getting needled in the VMO, I felt pain going right into the knee.. which tells me that there is definitely a link there. I go back today for more treatment, hopefully we can figure this out! So often knee pain is not the ACTUAL knee… it’s what’s around the knee.

I am also trying to look on the bright-side of this happening in the beginning of my training cycle…. and I will be MUCH more cautious going forward!! 😉

• Reply Kecia December 2, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I’m sorry to hear of your set back. Coach is right…don’t beat yourself up. You have plenty of time to focus on the run later. For now, do what you can…swim.

I’m glad that you had a great Thanksgiving 🙂

• Reply Kristin December 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Thanks Kecia. It’s so hard not to beat myself up, trying my best:) Let’s just say I was a cranky monster over the weekend, ha ha.

The good thing is… I am getting better at swimming!

• Reply Kecia December 4, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Focusing on what you can do is a great way to improve 😉

• Reply Amy December 2, 2014 at 5:47 pm

You’re in good company-I ran today and my knee flared up as well with ITBS-a definite surprise. It broke my heart a little, but plan to swim and yoga it out for the rest of the month. Heal fast!!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Oh no, Amy!! I’m sorry to hear this. Knee flare ups (and ITB) are super frustrating. I hope you heal quickly… at least we still have the pool, right? 🙂 Trying to stay positive!

• Reply Nicole December 2, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Don’t beat yourself up too much! I’m sure it’ll heal quickly and you’ll be better in no time with plenty of time to train for your big 2015 races!

And congrats on the win at the 10k! I can’t race for fun either unless I take my timing chip off haha!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Thanks Nicole! Ha ha I can never race for fun… I am way too competitive:) I would totally take my timing chip off if I had to. I probably should have done that at my 10K:) Silly me..

• Reply Hailey December 2, 2014 at 8:50 pm

You’re not whining :). I think we can all relate to being our own setback, especially being Type A competitive and it’s better to have this little reminder now than later down the road as much as it may stink now. Who knows, maybe you were just temporarily meant to get in some extra swimming 😉

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Hailey, appreciate it:) I will definitely use this as a reminder NEVER to rush into something, ever again. The ego can be very evil when it wants to be. I agree about the swimming… everything happens for a reason!

• Reply Abby December 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your post-race pain 🙁 Was it a bit icy/snowy? Hopefully you just tweaked something from that and it’ll be gone soon. I know last year on my birthday when I ran a 10k race in the snow/ice I was in some pain after, and I hadn’t pushed it super hard.
    But congrats on the great race!
    How was your stroke clinic?

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 1:52 am

Thank you Abby. It actually was snowy and icy… a slushy mess. It’s funny, before you mentioned this, I didn’t even think about how that could have played a role. I was slipping and sliding a lot, and the turns were difficult. Very interesting!! Stroke clinic was awesome, see today’s post:) I learned SO much and I’m already seeing BIG improvements!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust December 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I can COMPLETELY relate to overdoing it in a “race” environment and not treating it as something fun or a “training” event. My coach has shook his head at me once or twice for signing up for a race that wasn’t on my schedule, without telling him. Like you, I can’t not give it my all in those types of environments and forget how it will affect me the following week. Don’t beat yourself up too much – you are not alone! ☺

At least you got to relax a little over the weekend and get your Christmas tree! I’m sure your hubby and Oliver appreciated the extra quality time with you. Hope you are feeling better – mentally and physically. At least there is always swimming, right? 😉

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 1:54 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one!! It’s seriously REALLY difficult for me to take a race ‘easy’ or as a training event… seriously impossible. Thank you though, I feel better knowing I’m not alone. And yes, we had lots of time to get our tree and the hubs and Oliver enjoyed having me around:) Feeling better this week, mentally and physically… yay!!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats December 6, 2014 at 6:41 pm

It is hard to ease back into things when your body just wants to go go go. You think back to the time where you were in peak form. It is HARD!!! Hopefully your knee will be better soon. I am sure it will. Keep positive and this is definitely a great time to work on your swimming. Can’t wait to read about your swim clinic!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:17 am

always i used to read smaller articles or reviews that
    as well clear their motive, and that is also
    happening with this piece of writing which I am reading at this time.