with rest comes reflection.

Nov 11 2014 101

Rest week is not for the faint of heart.  It’s hard stuff!

I found rest week to be more difficult than an intense training week. I am programmed to move and sweat like crazy… so to do nothing, well, it was just frustrating.

The first couple of days it was really strange not to wake up and exercise. Taking a shower without sweating beforehand is a weird feeling for me! Something felt like it was missing. Although, the extra minutes in the morning did lead to perfect hair days at work all week:)

Rest week meant: extra doggy walks, cooking new recipes, cleaning, organizing, painting my nails… etc… anything to keep my mind busy! Staying busy was the KEY to my sanity.

Nov 11 2014 112

I felt like this all week:) I was rubbing off on Oliver.

Even though I stayed busy, it was still a mental battle:

I felt….

Sluggish
Challenged by the body image demons
Lazy.. I guess that’s the same as sluggish?
Bored
Antsy
Irritable
Disgusting
Overall… it was a struggle for my emotions!

My only saving grace was that rest week fell on the same week as my birthday. Talk about perfect timing! It lead to me feeling ‘less guilty’ about eating extra dessert and drinking more wine:)

Nov 11 2014 036

Sangria & Spanish Tapas for my 31st!

During my downtime I also did a lot of reflecting. When I started to feel negative emotions coming on, I thought about how I DESERVED the downtime and I earned it. I thought about the days back in June/July when I was training for 16-20+ hours a week. Most importantly, I focused on the year ahead. I even signed up for my Half Ironman focus race, Eagleman 70.3 in Maryland!

The week surprisingly went by fast and before I knew it, it was the weekend. On Saturday, we hiked Mount Chocorua in New Hampshire. This 7.5 mile, easy/moderate hike was perfect after doing nothing all week. It was a beautiful day to be outside! Winter has made a comeback in NH and there was snow and ice on the trail.

I think you can tell by these pictures how HAPPY I was to be outside and hiking!

Nov 11 2014 097

Nov 11 2014 076

Nov 11 2014 093

Nov 11 2014 079

Thinking ahead…

My #1 goal is to stay healthy and strong in the 2015 season. Right now I am in my second week of not running, and I have even contemplated making is 3-5 weeks of no running. My knee is still a little tender and I don’t want to push it, it’s not worth it. Perhaps some deep water running is in my near future?

For the next couple of weeks, I will just train at my leisure. This will include going to Masters swim practice 3 x week, biking on the trainer, and light strength work. The goal is to even go on a few more hikes in November, including this weekend coming up!

I know time will go by fast and before I know it, I will have a structured training plan until AUGUST. Yes August!  Time to just sit back and enjoy the ride on the easy train until then:)

Nov 11 2014 015

• Reply Kecia November 12, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I’m so glad you survived your rest week!! 🙂 Having a rest week on your birthday is perfect!! When is Eagleman? I would love to hike those hills/mountains and may have to venture that direction sometime to do so!!

• Reply Kristin November 21, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Thanks Kecia! And now I’ve almost survived off-season, which is crazy. Eagleman is June 14th! You have to come to New Hampshire and hike, you would love it.

• Reply Abby November 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm

That’s awesome your rest week fell in line with your birthday! And I’m glad you suffered through it 🙂
    The hiking photos are so gorgeous. I find when my exercise really cuts back, it feels so good to just be outside and doing something (like hiking)!
    I think you’re well onyour way to a healthy and strong 2015! Excited to follow your training and racing again!

• Reply Kristin November 21, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Thanks Abby! It was a tough go, but I survived! I totally agree with being outside as much as possible when training cuts back.. it really helps! I need my fresh air:)

• Reply Desiree November 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I have been following your lead and taking this week as a rest week from my marathon last weekend. I went into the race with some hip/glute/piriformis issues and I know taking this week off is good for my body. It is hard though. We have had a cold snap and I have napped (including Westie snuggles) more then I have wanted, but I guess my body wanted it. i have a half marathon scheduled in March and I want to focus on that so I need to be healthy to start. My hardest struggle during rest time is that I tend to be lazy on healthy food choices. I eat healthier when i exercise. Your hikes look beautiful and the family pics with Oliver need to go in a frame!!

• Reply Kristin November 21, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Awesome, good for you Desiree… it’s the best thing you can do for your body post marathon. Westie snuggles are the best aren’t they?! Sometimes we just have to listen to our body and what it’s telling us.. it’s taken me a long time to realize this. Thank you! I really need to frame some of my hiking photos, I have lots to catch up on!

• Reply Jamie @ Wandering Portlander November 13, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Enjoy the rest! You’ve definitely earned it. I know how hard it can be when you are supposed to be resting and your mind wants to do something. Soon enough you’ll be back at it.

• Reply Kristin November 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Thank you Jamie! Hard to believe I pick up training again this week coming up!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats November 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Happy 31st!! I bet it will be a year to remember!! congrats on surviving rest week! I think giving some rest time on your knee is a great idea! You have plenty of time to have a structured and rigid training plan. A few extra weeks of resting and recovering will be better for your body than pushing through anything lingering from this year!!! Have fun hiking. Enjoy the last minutes of fall!! Ohhhh Eagleman should be fun!!!

• Reply Kristin November 21, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Thank you Leslie!! Rest week is the worst, but I made it:) I have now taken three weeks off running, hopefully it will pay off when I start training again! Yes excited for Eagleman!!

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles November 14, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Have you thought of trying an Alter G during training? I tested one a while back and they are great, esp. if your knee continues to give you some issues, just something to think about. I am glad you had a great birthday and those hikes sound amazing! I can’t wait for your Eagleman, you are going to be great (as usual!!) TGIF!

• Reply Kristin November 21, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Sara, I’m dying to try the Alter G! I just don’t know where to find one.. and if insurance would cover it? I need to look into finding one near where I live. Thanks for the suggestion! I did have a great bday a few weeks ago, and as you know, we’ve been hiking a lot:)

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust November 14, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Happy Birthday to YOU!!!! I have a feeling your 31st trip around the sun is going to be remarkable. I love that you are taking this downtime and are opening up about the struggles and reality of what rest is. I am going to be doing this after my next marathon and will definitely be thinking about you! Love the hiking pictures and that you are getting a chance to get out and explore with the two you love the most. I have to ask, what kind of jacket are you wearing in the hiking pictures? It is super cute and looks really warm!

• Reply Kristin November 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Kristen!! You are so sweet! Taking a break from runnning, and working out at an intense level is HARD stuff! My training officially starts again next week! The jacket I’m wearing is from Lululemon… 2 years ago.. it’s my favorite jacket! Both functional and cute:)

• Reply erin December 3, 2014 at 12:37 am

Super belated comment (I’m so behind on blogs… need to weed through so I don’t have so many!), but happiest birthday! And, I’m so glad you embraced rest week despite how difficult it is. You body and mind no doubt both said thank you 🙂 Rest days are tough for me, too, but my coach the past year has helped me learn to get more comfortable with them. They’re the days your body soaks up all the hard work and repairs itself, preparing for the next big push. Your 2015 is bright, my friend 🙂

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Erin! ha, it’s ok, I am too… like really behind.. need to catch up big time! Appreciate you taking the time to even read mine:) Rest days are TOUGH, but so important. I love the comment about soaking up all the hard work! 2015 is going to be HUGE for the both of us!!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:19 am

Hi there would you mind letting me know which hosting company
    you’re using? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers and I must say this blog
    loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good hosting provider at
    a fair price? Many thanks, I appreciate it!