grateful.

Nov 24 14 081

Each year on Thanksgiving, we are reminded to be grateful.  Whether it’s grateful for our health, for what we have, our loved ones… It’s a moment to stop and smell the roses. To take a break from the every day hustle and bustle in life and live in the moment… all while enjoying some delicious food of course.

As an athlete, I often forget to be grateful. I often forget to thank my body for what it’s capable of (some truly amazing things). Taking a break from running recently made me extra grateful. It was frustrating at first, but then I realized I am lucky to just be able to run in the first place. Taking a break really put things in perspective, that is for damn sure.

This Thanksgiving, and every day for that matter, I need to remember this:

I don’t HAVE to be a triathlete, I GET to be a triathlete.

How lucky am I? 🙂 I get to swim, bike AND run because my body and mind are capable of these things… amazing!

inspirational quote - You don’t HAVE to do this. You GET to do this.

So tomorrow, when you are enjoying some turkey and mashed potatoes, don’t forget to be grateful.

I’ll be running a turkey trot tomorrow morning bright and early (not expecting a PR of course).

What will you be doing for your thanksgiving day workout?

• Reply Kecia November 27, 2014 at 2:49 am

I had this very thought tonight at yoga…THANK YOU BODY for allowing me to sweat, swim, bike, run, shovel snow (and we’ve gotten our fair share today), strength train, etc., etc., etc. Tomorrow, I’ll be running (likely on the dreadmill with windchill temps below zero) and strength training 🙂

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Yes it’s SO important to be grateful for what our bodies are capable of! I hope it’s warmed up for you guys… below zero sounds pretty miserable:)

• Reply Lee@triinspiredlife November 27, 2014 at 3:19 am

Tomorrow morning will include a long trainer ride to prepare for a great Thanksgiving lunch! I am so very thankful of what we get to do as triathletes. I really enjoyed your post. I think about it more and more since my step father has recently become paralyzed from the waist down as a result of cancer. I try to not take simple things for granted like putting on my shoes and running out the front door! We are very blessed!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Glad you enjoyed this post, Lee.. thank you:) I’m so sorry to hear about your step father, that is so heart breaking. It’s easy to take the simple things for granted… we are very lucky indeed.

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run November 27, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I’m going to go out for a run this morning and do 5-8 miles, depending on how my body feels… and depending on how good my podcast is! 🙂 Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Kristen!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Awesome Megan! I hope you had a fantastic thanksgiving:) I need to start looking into podcasts for running… never done that before.

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats November 30, 2014 at 1:56 am

Great post!! Totally true!! Happy Thanksgiving!!
    I did a 4k swim yesterday. It was awesome. I haven’t been swimming much since Whistler but need to get back to it!! 🙂

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Thanks Leslie!! I hope you had a great thanks giving. 4k swim, that’s awesome!! Yes Winter is the PERFECT time to get back into swimming.

• Reply Abby December 2, 2014 at 3:41 am

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    You’re right- we have have to be so grateful and thankful to our bodies for allowing us to do such amazing things and go such great distances.

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Thanks Abby, same to you! Yes it’s so important to remember how lucky we truly are:)

• Reply erin December 16, 2014 at 1:57 pm

We GET to do this… always important to remember that 🙂 I know this is late, but hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving, friend!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:46 am

You’ve made some really good points there.
    I checked on the web to find out more about the
    issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.