CURRENTLY 11/21/14

The past three weeks have been pretty good to me. I’ve been in off season mode, with a lot of free time to do basically whatever I want.  This post is a great opportunity to tell you what I’ve been up to! I always love reading Erin’s CURRENTLY posts, so I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and try one for myself. Thanks Erin for the inspiration! It also makes for a fun Friday post (thank God it’s almost the weekend).

Nov 17 2014 023

Off season officially ends on Monday, when I will start my base training plan for the Boston Marathon and beyond. This is it folks… I won’t get a break like I’m in right now for a VERY long time. Probably not until after Ironman Mont-Tremblant in August, yikes! I have been in off season for almost FOUR weeks. This means for about an entire MONTH I have had no structured training plan, including one entire week of rest in the beginning. I am excited to get back on a plan again!

Here’s what’s been up to….

Reading // The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain by Claire Davies. This book was recommended to me by my triathlon coach and I am loving it so far. My goal is to start self-treating myself more often this season and I think this book is the ticket! I am sick and tired of spending money on things like acupuncture, chiropractor, massage, etc… only to find these things are band aids. Often it’s not the joint that’s the problem, it’s the tissue surrounding the joint i.e. trigger points. If you have never done trigger point therapy, you need to read this book, it’s fascinating. My goal is to do mostly my own body work in 2015!

Cooking // Since I haven’t been training for 2+ hours/day, this leaves me more time to be in my kitchen! I love to cook and during the downtime I have been making everything from bison chili to kale chips to apple crisp. I’m pretty sure my hubby has been loving this too:) I still cook when I’m training, but I tend to keep it simple.

Nov 11 2014 031

Swimming // I think I have turned into a fish over these last three weeks. I have been to every Masters practice at 5:30 AM (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). Each practice averages 3,000 yards (so ~ 27,000 yds in three weeks). I also just started a swim stroke clinic last Sunday, which I am very excited about! While I know I am a decent swimmer (1:07 Ironman 2.4 mile swim) I know I have things to work on to make me more efficient! The clinic is put on by head QT2 Coach, Jesse Kropelnicki (he is the PRO coach for QT2… his athletes include Beth Shutt and Linsey Corbin to name a few). Over the next three Sunday’s I will go to the clinic and learn how to improve my stroke. There are only 5 other people in the class so it feels like a private lesson. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Displaying photo.PNG

Pondering // Life. All of this free time has me thinking about REAL life a whole lot more… specifically when it comes to my career. Working on a lot of soul searching lately… we’ll see where it takes me. Hopefully somewhere good!

Feeling // Motivated. I am more than ready to pick up a training plan again and get started on 2015! I haven’t ran in over three weeks now, giving myself an extra break. My knee is feeling better, but I am definitely nervous about running again. I have been strength training a lot (glutes, hammies, hips) and taking pilates (major core work) which I think should benefit me once I get started again! I feel good!

Mountain Climbing // With no structured training on the weekends, we’ve been hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire a lot! If there’s one thing I’ve really loved about off season it’s having my weekends back. Sure, I love biking and running all weekend long ( I honestly do) but I also LOVE hiking. When I’m in season it’s really hard to find time to hike, so I’m taking advantage of this time.

Nov 17 2014 156

Loving // Stich Fix. I had my second Stich Fix ever delivered this week and I got some great pieces from it! I love fashion, and Stich Fix is such a fun way to find out about new styles. If you have never done it before, you should… so.much.fun. (I was not given free clothes to say this… I wish;) )

(Polka dot shirt and skinny pants both from stitch fix)

Nov 21 14 030

Favorite quote of the week // Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”  — Lovelle Drachman

"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures," Quote Print #wildvoz

• Reply Kecia November 21, 2014 at 10:23 pm

This must be the time of year that we all ponder our careers. I am seriously considering a career change and have been pondering life as well. I’m glad your knee is feeling better…just remember to ease back into running (I didn’t do this well last year and had to take more time off than originally planned as a result…oops). I’ve heard a lot of great things about StitchFix, but I haven’t tried it yet. I should try it since I hate to shop…having someone else do it for me would be really nice 😉

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 2:46 pm

It must be! Glad it’s not just me:) Oh and I should have taken your advice, since I didn’t really ease back into running;)

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run November 22, 2014 at 1:04 am

I was picturing your off season being much longer! More like and actual “season” haha. But I’m glad you get to start training again, I know you were going nuts!

• Reply Kristin November 22, 2014 at 1:27 am

I wish I had more time Megan:) I am starting to like the extra free time! I will start training again, but not at a high level… easy stuff for another month or so! I will also start to work on a new strength program. And yes, I was going nuts, ha ha.

• Reply erin November 22, 2014 at 3:21 pm

You’re not alone on your soul searching journey (I was *just* going to publish a blog post titled that)… let’s skype soon 🙂 SO glad the break’s been good for you! So refreshing, right?! And, thank you for the book recommendation! Body work is where I skimp, but not this year… picking up this book asap. Have a fab weekend, friend 🙂

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 3:04 pm

We definitely need to skype soon, Erin! We can brainstorm together. Definitely check out the body work book, especially as you get into more heavy training:)

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails November 22, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I’m right there with you on the soul searching / career thoughts. I’ve been in my current job for almost 15 years and I no longer enjoy it. I love the people I work with but I’ve completely lost interest in the industry / job. It’s definitely time for a change.
    I’ve been swimming a lot too – especially since I can’t run. It’s something but it doesn’t make up for not running. 🙁

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I have also completely lost interest in what I’m doing… I need to be doing something that excites me! And I agree about the swimming… it sadly doesn’t make up for not running.

• Reply Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork November 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Hi there! I’ve been wanting to check out that exact same trigger point book! I have a few spots in my shoulders and triceps that really bother me, as well as in one glute. I’ve been trying to work on it on my own, but perhaps I need more detailed instructions.
    So glad you’ve been able to take it easy! Hope your enjoy your last week off!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Awesome!! Definitely check out the book AND get a Theracane!

• Reply Hailey November 22, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for the trigger point book recommendation! I feel like you’re right, the other methods are just band aids and it seems like I go get those things done, only to have it come back a couple of weeks later. Best wishes getting back into things this week and I look forward to reading about your training again! 🙂

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 3:06 pm

You’re welcome! It’s really useful to know how to do this stuff on your own.. also cheaper! Thanks Hailey!

• Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead November 24, 2014 at 12:28 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed at least some of your off-season! It can be so hard to accept not training for a while. But now you’re all rested and your training cycle(s) will be much stronger for it!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 3:06 pm

It’s soooo hard! You feel so darn lazy!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust November 24, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I can honestly say that I am looking forward to a little off-season break. Seeing all of your hiking photos and listening to your experience of not having a schedule or training routine these past weeks has been encouraging. I need a little of that in my life right now. ☺

I’ve been telling my husband that we need to make zoodles. Are they pretty easy to make or do they require a lot of work?

I’m with you on the Stitch Fix love. When I started triathlon training, I pretty much stopped shopping (the time it takes!). Therefore, I loved how easy it was to get clothes in the mail and have them tailored to my style. I just received my eighth fix!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 3:51 pm

You have definitely earned your off season Kristen! It can be mentally difficult, but once you settle in, all of the extra free time feels really good.

Zoodles are really easy! I have the Paderno Spiralizer (from Amazon) and it’s awesome. Not complicated at all! My only recommendation is to let the zucchini noodles sit in a strainer for at least an hour before cooking with them, it helps dry them out a little.

LOOVE stitch fix! 🙂

• Reply Abby November 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I also love Erin’s currently posts, so naturally I loved reading this one from you!
    I think I’ll have to get that book. The money and time spent on physio, chiro, massage, etc. is pretty crazy.
    I love, love, love that quote you posted. I think it would make a cute nursery print- I’m going to look on etsy 🙂
    Wow- crazy you’ll basically be in serious training until after mont Tremblant! Glad you took the well-deserved break and got in lots of hiking!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I don’t even want to know how much money I spent last year on my appointments. I would probably faint if I added it all up. I decided it’s time to take things into my own hands as much as possible.

The print would be PERFECT for a nursery.. what a great idea!! I think it’s actually ON Etsy, let me know if you can’t find it!

I know… so much training in the future, but it’s all good!!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats November 30, 2014 at 2:45 am

Great Currently post! You sound like you are ready to start the “on” season!! MT is only 9 months away!! 🙂 I took some time off after NYC because i was having some foot pain. I am going to start running again next week and like you i am nervous!!
    I wish i loved my masters swim. I used to love to swim and my masters i got to now isn’t that great. it is geared more toward swimmers not triathletes. I just don’t enjoy it like i did with my “tri” masters team!!

• Reply Kristin December 4, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Thanks Leslie! Before you mentioned (9) months, I didn’t even realize it was that close, LOL. I hope your foot is feeling better after NYC!! It’s so nerve wrecking getting started again. My Masters is catered towards swimmers (some days we do a lot of IM), but a lot of triathletes are in the pool with me:)

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:39 am

You ought to be a part of a contest for one of the highest quality sites on the internet.
    I’m going to highly recommend this website!