Well… It’s onto the Off Season

The crazy thing is, for once the decision not to race was easy.

As stated in my previous post on Monday, I was undecided on whether or not to race this weekend. Initially I signed up for the Manchester Marathon (right after IMMT in August), then thought maybe I’ll just do the half marathon… now I’m just bagging it all together. Reason being: I have nothing to prove.

I raced an Ironman 2.5 months ago and while I wanted to believe I could do a Marathon just a few months later, my body just wasn’t having it. Sure, I’m kind of pissed off about the situation, especially since I trained for it. But my coach says the training will NOT go to waste. Good thing is, it will accrue into next season’s training (phew!). I never like to back out of something, I’m not a quitter. But instead of beating myself up over this decision, I’m turning it into a positive. I’m going to get healthy and strong for the Boston Marathon AND for Ironman Mont-Tremblant round #2. Next year, 2015 is going to be THE year and I want to perform at my best. If I raced even the half marathon this weekend, I’m not confident I would be racing at my best. It’s never fun to toe the line with the fear of being in pain, before the race even starts! My knee has been acting up, but the good thing is, I think I have it under control. I’m optimistic that with kinesiotaping, strengthening exercises and a solid BREAK, I will be up and running in no time.

This officially means… OFF SEASON has begun:

Starting now, I am officially in my ‘off season.’ I will take next week completely OFF (Lord help me) and the following week will incorporate just easy workouts. After a few weeks, I’m not sure where my plan will take me, since I haven’t received it from my coach yet. What I do know is, I’m looking forward to a break! I’ll post more on my off season plan later:)

Rumi Quotes #rumi #quotes

• Reply Kecia October 31, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Sorry your body isn’t allowing you to race how you want. I’ve been there and it isn’t fun, but getting back on track so it doesn’t happen during the peak of your 2015 season is more important. Take it easy for a while (I know this is easier said than done) and enjoy your time with Oliver 😉

• Reply Kristin November 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Kecia! It’s definitely not fun backing out of a race, but oddly enough, I’m ok with it. What sounded like a great idea, wasn’t really in the end. You are right, better now than in the middle of the 2015 season. So hard to take it easy, but I’m trying really hard;)

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run October 31, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I love your approach. I am sorry you can’t do the race but you have made the right decision. 2015 is going to ROCK for you. I really believe we can perform at our peak ALL the time. Our body will just get run down if we do that. There is a time to train, a time to race, and a time to rest up for the NEXT ROUND 🙂 You are awesome Kristin! I love following your adventures!

• Reply Kristin November 5, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Meg! You are so sweet!

I agree.. it’s REALLY hard to be 100% all the time, and I can’t expect it either. I know this rest period will pay off when I’m in the middle of training. 2015 is going to be a big year!

• Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles November 1, 2014 at 2:03 am

I know it’s a bummer to miss a race, but I think you are totally being smart about this. Some good rest and you will be back at it and killing your workouts and races in no time!

• Reply Kristin November 5, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Such a bummer! I know you understand:) I have FINALLY learned that it’s actually good to listen to what my body is trying to tell me!

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails November 1, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Smart move to bail on the race. Good for you for listening to your body! Take care of those knees – the rest and easier workouts will definitely help. 🙂

• Reply Kristin November 5, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Thanks Phaedra! I think so too:) I’m very happy with my decision. The McConnell taping has helped, but I know I have a lot of stuff to work on!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust November 1, 2014 at 11:47 pm

This is great, Kristin. I love your mental strength and mentality, knowing that you do not need another race on your schedule to prove anything. You have accomplished so much this year and it’s not worth it to risk an injury or additional recovery time. You now get to step back, take a break, and relax before gearing up for next season. Can’t wait to hear what this “off season” of yours looks like. I always wonder what other athletes do when they are are not training. ENJOY!!!

• Reply Kristin November 5, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Thanks Kristen! I almost wish I never signed up for the race to begin with, but that’s ok! I know my training will pay off for 2015. It’s really hard to stay mentally strong in these situations, but it does get easier with time:) I posted today about the off season! Basically, it involves a lot of easy workouts (much to my dismay) and strength training!

• Reply Hailey November 2, 2014 at 12:39 am

Onto an extremely well-deserved break! I’m so glad you realized you have nothing to prove. You became an IRONMAN this year, so you don’t need to run a marathon or half marathon or whatever to prove that you’re an amazing athlete. I see even more amazing things for you in 2015 with Boston and another IRONMAN! How exciting!

• Reply Kristin November 5, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Thanks Hailey! I’m getting wiser with age when it comes to these types of decisions… I think because I have learned the hard way:) You are so sweet, I hope I continue to do amazing things in 2015!

• Reply erin November 2, 2014 at 3:13 pm

While it’s a bummer to pull out of a race, good for you for being smart about it and listening to your body (I hope your knee feels better asap!). That’s the hardest part sometimes, especially with our goal-oriented personalities! (I learned the hard way after IM Canada last year… a stress fracture that sidelined my running for nearly four months!) Enjoy your much deserved break! I have no doubt… you are setting yourself up for an incredible 2015!

• Reply Kristin November 5, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Thanks Erin! Yes it’s really hard to pull out of a race when you are super goal oriented like us! I’m looking forward to a break, for sure:)

• Reply Abby November 3, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Enjoy your off-season!!! I suggest lots of walks with the pup during this week without any workouts!
    And, proud to make that tough decision to pull out of the race. Your 2015 is going to be huge!! Can’t wait to follow the training and healthy racing 🙂

• Reply Kristin November 5, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Thanks Abby!! Yes lots of walks with the pup are a MUST. It was really hard pulling out of the race, but I know I will be stronger in 2015 because of it.

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:28 am

It’s very easy to find out any topic on net as compared
    to textbooks, as I found this piece of writing at this web page.