{Life & Training} Week Recap

How is it Monday already? My weekend was a whirlwind of fun and to be honest, I am TIRED today! We celebrated my Dad’s 60th birthday all weekend long it was was a blast. Saturday night was spent at Foxwoods Casino. We stayed up until 2:00 AM, something I never do, and that is most definitely why I’m still feeling it today;)

While I am sad it’s Monday, I am really happy to be back to my regular routine of eating healthy after a ‘binge’ of a weekend. Lots of food I don’t normally eat plus extra vino that I don’t normally drink. Bring on the Kale, I’ve missed you these last couple of days.

And here is proof that I actually dress up sometimes:

(check out Todd’s tie, it has Westies on it!)

10.27.14 300

10.27.14 344

As I mentioned last week, I am still unsure of racing this weekend coming up. I initially was signed up to race the full marathon, and now that is a wash. I’m either racing the half marathon or I’m bagging it all together. My left knee has been a little more cranky than I would like to admit, and it’s not worth putting my 2015 season in jeopardy. I had an athletic trainer friend come over my house yesterday and she taped my knee and showed me how to tape on my own. I was told by my MD this pain could be a ‘tracking’ issue with the knee cap, and that taping it could help. On top of the taping, I also need to work on glute and hip strengthening (like big time). The goal is to try the taping with my runs this week and see how I feel… If I feel good with the tape, I might go for the half marathon. It’s very much up in the air right now. The thing is, the pain isn’t THAT bad, but I don’t want it to get worse!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead. ~Kara Goucher

Here is what I was up to last week (Oct 20-26)! We had a NASTY week of weather in Massachusetts, so a lot of my runs were done outside in the rain and strong wind. It was the first Nor’Easter of the season.  I honestly will do whatever I can to avoid the treadmill.

Monday:
Swim 3,000 yards at Masters Practice
I’ve been loving Masters lately and have been going 3 x week!

Tuesday:
Bike 1:10 @ Z1/Z2 intervals
Run: 30 min brick

Wednesday:
Swim: 3,000 yds at Masters Practice
Run: Recovery run 25 mins

Thursday:
Bike: 1:10 Tempo Ride

10.27.14 282

Run: 1:00 hour at Z1/Z2 mile intervals

This run was done outside in the storm, in the dark. I’ve been having to run in the dark a lot lately since it gets dark so early now (this will get even worse this weekend with daylight savings). I always make sure to wear my headlamp and reflective gear.

Friday:
Swim: 3,200 yds at Masters Practice
Run: 25 min recovery run

Saturday:
Bike: 2.5 hour ride on the trainer (I didn’t have time to ride outside, boo)

When I’m on the trainer, I like to ride with the lights off:)

10.27.14 309
Run: 30 min FAST brick run at Z2 (7:10 pace!)

Walk with Todd and Oliver at the pond after I finished my run.. the sun was finally shining and we were all happy!

10.27.14 311

Sunday:
Bike: 45 mins on the trainer, recovery pace
Run: 25 min Recovery run

In other news, my Ironman Mont-Tremblant Finisher Jacket finally arrived and it was like Christmas! There was a major typo with the jackets initially (they left off Subaru, the major sponsor).  We couldn’t get our jackets after the race, and just ordered them instead. Two months later, I have my jacket! It was worth the wait!

10.27.14 099

How is your training going? Do you run outside in the dark?

• Reply Jamie @ Wandering Portlander October 27, 2014 at 5:26 pm

The jacket looks awesome! Hope your knee starts feeling better soon.

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust October 28, 2014 at 12:04 am

Aww man, I am so sorry to hear that your knee is still causing you issues. Hopefully the tape helps control the pain. Whatever you decide to do this weekend, I’m sure you will make the right decision for what’s best for you. I can’t believe you do the trainer in the dark. Do you watch anything or listen to music at least? I would probably want to take a nap, haha. It sounds like we are experiencing very similar weather. What is your Zone 1 pace? I am always curious what other runners, especially speedy ones like you, run pace-wise when out for just a training run. Do you sleep in your jacket, because I probably would. 🙂

• Reply Kecia October 28, 2014 at 1:09 am

I’m sorry to hear about your knee. The battle to do what is “best” begins and is such a difficult decision to make. I wish you the best of luck in making that decision.

I love the pics!! We do exercise in the dark, but it is usually just running. I have never considered riding the trainer in the dark…I may have to give this a try 😉

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life October 28, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Yay! So glad you received your jacket! My IMLP jacket was the ONE thing I knew I wanted to splurge on! Sounds like you got it at a good time with the crazy weather you are having!

Good luck with the knee and sounds like you are not stressing about it too much and will just make the best decision you can later in the week. Good job!

• Reply Abby October 28, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Love the pictures from your Dad’s birthday celebration, especially Todd’s Westie tie 🙂
    Sorry your knee is still very cranky. Definitely take care of it, and yourself!
    I used to run outside in the dark all the time, either early morning or winter evenings. I love it- it seems so much more tranquil. This year I won’t be able to run much outside in winter (too dangerous to risk falling). The treadmill it is! I should try keeping the lights out.

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run October 30, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Wow, they left the sponsor’s name off the jacket? That is kind of funny. 🙂 I bet it was AWESOME getting that in the mail. 🙂 I hope the tape helps your knee. I struggle with knee issues as well, so I am like LIVING Kara Goucher’s quote right now. I am trying to get back into lifting lower body regularly (which always bothers my knee) and I am just so weak right now because I haven’t kept up with it. Definitely a bump in the road. I just got done racing a 10k so my training these past two-ish weeks have just been recovery, chill type of runs. It is nice, but now I need a new goal!

• Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead October 31, 2014 at 3:28 am

Love that red dress! I hope your knee gets its act together soon and lets you run all you want!

• Reply Well…. It’s onto the Off Season | Sweat Courage October 31, 2014 at 8:07 pm

[…] stated in my previous post on Monday, I was undecided on whether or not to race this weekend. Initially I signed up for the […]

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:16 am

Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your design. Thank you