Utah Bound!

Tomorrow afternoon, Todd and I will be on our way to Utah for a week-long vacation!

I am really excited about this trip, since I haven’t really had a vacation all year (an Ironman is not really a vacation…).

My college friend, Annika, is getting married in Park City on September 27th,  and we’ll be exploring some of the National Parks during the week prior to her wedding. This means, that in addition to exploring some bad-ass, beautiful National Parks, I’ll get to end the week with a fun wedding on a ranch with some of my best college girlfriends! Doesn’t get much better than this!

Here’s the plan…

Fly to Salt Lake City Saturday (tomorrow)

Sunday morning, wake up early and drive to ZION NATIONAL PARK.  Zion is about a 4-5 hour drive from Salt Lake City.  We’ll be camping in Zion for 2-3 nights and doing lots of hiking and exploring. My friend is lending us a lot of her camping equipment, which helps us big time! It’s hard to plan a camping trip that’s across the country.

I am drooling at the thought of some of these hikes we have planned in Zion:

The Narrows

Angels Landing

Observation Point

After 2-3 nights in Zion, it’s off to another gorgeous place, BRYCE CANYON for more hiking!

On the hiking itinerary:

Fairland loop

Queens Garden Loop

Weather looks to be in the 80’s during the day and the 60’s at night.  Should be perfect for outdoor activities and camping.  My friend who just got back from there said it’s definitely a dry heat, so hopefully it doesn’t feel too hot. It’s always hard to travel when you are following a training plan, but I hope that hiking is a good sub substitution for running and biking.

After Bryce, it’s back up north to Park City, where we are renting a lovely little condo (HomeAway is the best).  While in Park City, the plan is to so some trail running and possibly mountain biking.  We’ll have a few days before the wedding on Saturday to explore.  I am BEYOND excited to explore these trails! Park City boasts an extensive trail network of over 400 miles of public access trails designated exclusively for non-motorized recreation.

Um I think I will want to move here…

On Saturday my friend gets married on what should be a gorgeous ranch and on Sunday night we fly home to Boston. Should be an EPIC vacation!  I look forward to sharing lots of my photos when I return.

Have you ever been to Park City? Zion? Bryce? Suggestions welcome!

Have a great weekend!

• Reply Kecia September 19, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Looks AH-MAZ-ING!! Have a FABULOUS trip!!

• Reply Kristin October 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Thank you kecia!!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life September 19, 2014 at 8:13 pm

You are going to have a blast! Can’t wait to read all about your adventures!!

• Reply Natalie @ Free Range Human September 20, 2014 at 3:40 am

I loved Zion and Bryce! They’re both uniquely beautiful. We did Angels Landing while we were there although, I have to admit, I chickened out before getting to the top. I only made it until you have to start using the chains then I was out! The Narrows were so great, and unlike any other hike I’ve ever done. So, so worth it. However, I would recommend taking your own water shoes. The ones you rent are horrific! Also, you must eat at Oscar’s Cafe. It’s right outside the gates of Zion, and a really cool, funky place. Have so much fun and I can’t wait to hear about it!

• Reply Kristin October 3, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Angels Landing is SO steep, it’s crazy! I took your advice and we wore our own shoes at the Narrows, worked out perfectly! I totally wish we tried that Cafe, darn! We just stuck to cooking at the campsite:) Overall, the whole trip was fantastic!!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust September 20, 2014 at 3:41 am

I have never been to Utah, but my husband and I have talked about doing a backpacking/camping trip next summer. I will live vicariously through you and hopefully learn a lot from your experience. Take lots and lots of notes!!! 🙂 Have a wonderful time. You and Todd definitely deserve a much needed trip! Safe travels!

• Reply Kristin October 3, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Um you NEED to go, you would love it!! Utah was amazing, especially the national parks. I wrote a lot about it in my post today, and will have another post about Park City and surrounding area. It was so freakin’ gorgeous!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats September 20, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Have so much fun!! I love Zion and Bryce! I haven’t been since I was a kid. Park City is also awesome and I haven’t been there since college. Sorry not much help with recos but you will have fun with whatever you do!!

• Reply Kristin October 2, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Thank you!! It was awesome! We had just the best time.

• Reply erin September 21, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I’ve been to Utah for work, but unfortunately there wasn’t any time to explore other than quick hike to Bridal Veil Falls, which were gorgeous. Have a wonderful trip! Can’t wait to hear about it and see some photos!

• Reply Kristin October 3, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Oh man you need to go back and explore more! The thing is, there is so much to see, it’s hard to fit it all in! Lots of photos on my post today and I’ll post more next week. I loved every minute of it:)

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:41 am

I like the helpful information you supply on your articles.

I’ll bookmark your blog and take a look at once more right here regularly.
    I’m rather sure I will learn plenty of new stuff right right here!
    Best of luck for the next!