Some sad news + happy news

Hi I’m back!

I was hoping to write a post today about how everything is going for me post IMMT, but that will have to wait…

SEPT 8 064

Yesterday started as a beautiful day… I was looking forward to my long bike ride and headed out for about 50 miles of bliss… until my phone rang… and then it rang again… and again… I was just 10 miles into my ride and I pulled over on the side of the road. I saw a missed called from pretty much every single member of my family and I knew something was wrong. My heart sank. I felt sick to my stomach. I called my husband back, who then told me that my Grandmother had passed away, suddenly and unexpectedly. Hearing the news, I was in shock, not knowing how to comprehend what I just heard. I thought about continuing to ride, until my lovely (smart) husband told me it’s probably not a good idea to ride when I am feeling very upset. He proceeded to pick me up by car and we drove home together. I’m still trying to process this all and feeling heart broken. I know it will take time… time heals all. But man, it’s HARD.

SEPT 8 063

Yesterday all I wanted to do was go for a run after hearing the news…I knew running would help release some of the emotional pain. I threw on my sneakers and headed for the trails, I wanted to just run forever and not stop. For ten miles I ran, and I ran fast.. I didn’t think about my heart rate or my pace.. I just ran… and it felt SO good. My legs felt the best they’ve felt since before IMMT. Like a gazelle I ran through the woods, it felt effortless. I chose to run up a trail I don’t normally go on… it’s a beast of a hill and I usually avoid it, ha. Yesterday felt like the perfect time to give it a try and I was glad I did. I was all along up there at the top, looking at the skyline of Boston, bright blue skies… I said a prayer for my grandmother, telling her I’m sorry she had to go this way, so soon… It was the first time I had cried all day and really just let it go. I really think running is the best kind of therapy, the perfect release.

SEPT 8 041

Later that night, trying to process it all, I finally made a decision on what my plan is for 2015.  I have been wanting to sign up for another Ironman since I finished Ironman Mont-Tremblant!.. let’s just say I’m hooked:)

The thing is… for weeks I just didn’t know if 2015 was the right year… I asked myself (and others) if I should just take a year off and try again in 2016.  Is my body ready for another IM? I thought about all of the ‘what ifs’ and weighed my options… it even kept me up at night. I also didn’t know which race I would sign up for, IMMT repeat or IMMD (the two within reasonable driving distance). I’m pretty sure I was driving my husband crazy trying to make up my mind!  Finally, yesterday, after hearing the news of my Grandma, I took it as a sign… You only have one life, and it does go by fast. You never know what life could bring next week, next month, next year. You need to chase your dreams.

I decided that 2015 WILL be the year to do another Ironman and I am super excited to take on the challenge again!  I will be dedicating my training to my grandmother, Gammi:)

I will be racing Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 for round two! I hit the registration button late last night, and I can’t wait to do this amazing race all over again!

10626623_10100189461090697_7493562868853314014_n

• Reply Logan @ Mountains and Miles September 8, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother. One of my best friends (who lives far away from me) had some absolutely devastating news last week and when I heard on Friday, running was all I could think of doing, too. So I just took off and ran without putting one thought into my run and it felt so good.

Very exciting about IMMT 2015. You are right – life is too short to put things off! I’m sure your grandmother is incredibly proud of you.

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Thank you so much. I’m sorry to hear about your friend… It’s amazing what running can do for our mind when we are sad. Such a great form of therapy.

Thank you! Very excited about 2015:)

• Reply Nicole September 8, 2014 at 9:00 pm

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma. 🙁 the run sounds very therapeutic!

I’m glad to hear you are chasing your dreams!

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Thank you so much. Continuing to dream big:)

• Reply Hailey September 9, 2014 at 12:17 am

My thoughts are with you and your family. I’m sure your grandma will be smiling down on you as you prepare for what I know will be another amazing ironman for you!

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Thank you Hailey, you are so sweet… I look forward to an exciting 2015.

• Reply Runwright September 9, 2014 at 1:01 am

So sorry you lost your Gammi. Just try to remember the good memories. They will bring you comfort when you miss her.

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Thank you very much. Yes we always need to think of the good memories:)

• Reply Runwright September 9, 2014 at 1:03 am

I’m following on Instagram too. Check me out @karen_runwright

• Reply Courtney@The TriGirl Chronicles September 9, 2014 at 1:11 am

I’m sorry about your grandmother. I think dedicating a race to her memory is a truly admirable thing to do and it will be beyond rewarding.

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Thank you Courtney. Really appreciate it… It will definitely make my training even more
      special this time.

• Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead September 9, 2014 at 2:23 am

I’m so sorry that you lost your grandma. My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:55 pm

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats September 9, 2014 at 3:59 am

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma!! That is so tough especially because it was sudden!! 🙁
    I am glad that you are chasing the dream! You absolutely only live once! It will be a great year!! 🙂

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thank you Leslie… Yes so hard when it’s unexpected.

Yes I pulled the trigger on IM #2! I didn’t want to have any regrets not going for it! Excited!

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails September 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandma! You’re so right though, life IS short and you shouldn’t wait to chase your dreams. Looking forward to following your journey to IMMT Round Two!!

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thank you so much Phaedra. Yes life is too short not to go after our dreams! Excited for round two!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life September 9, 2014 at 3:17 pm

It sounds like you are dealing with this tough loss in such a healthy way. Exercise can be so therapeutic and we are so lucky that we have this in our lives. I totally understand how special grandmothers can be, as I had two amazing ones in my life. Good for you to pressing the button…your reason to race next year is very similar to why I chose to race this year…don’t take today for granted!!

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Thank you, Lee.. It’s amazing how therapeutic exercise can be… Endorphins can work some serious magic. I’m excited for 2015 and looking forward to training with an even bigger purpose this time around .

• Reply Natalie @ Free Range Human September 9, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I want to be able to give you a great big hug. I know nothing makes these kinds of things easier, but it’s so encouraging to see you turn heartbreak into purpose. Prayers for you and yours right now.

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Thank you so much Natalie. It helps me to turn hurt into purpose… Time to go after some more dreams 🙂

• Reply Kecia September 9, 2014 at 11:07 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope you find peace in the memories that you cherish. Going for a good, long run is a great stress relief and I’m glad you pulled the plug and are racing IMMT again!! I can’t wait to see how the 2015 season treats you 🙂

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Thank you so much Kecia. I had been debating 2015 for weeks and it definitely was a sign losing my grandma… You just never know what tomorrow will bring.

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust September 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm

My heart goes out to you and your family because I know how difficult it is to lose someone close to you. I can’t believe it happened so suddenly, without notice. That makes it even harder. I think following your heart and living your dreams is a beautiful way to pay tribute to your Grandmother. I am very excited to see where the 2015 triathlon season takes you!!

• Reply Kristin September 10, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Thank you Kristen, really appreciate it… It’s so very hard, especially when sudden… We are never ready to lose someone close to us. I had been debating an IM in 2015 for weeks… So happy with my decision and to dedicate my training to my grandma.

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:37 am

My brother suggested I might like this website. He was entirely right.
    This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!