race reports, Uncategorized

IMMT {RUN Recap} and the FINISH!


Once the 112 mile bike ride was complete, I was so excited to be on my two feet again! Running out of the transition tent was a huge energy boost, especially seeing my family cheering for me!

T2 time (Run to Bike Transition) = 5:48

Mom Camera IRONMAN 103

I raced smart on the bike, and I could tell my legs still felt fresh. All signs pointed to having a great run. After the bike, I headed into the transition tent, threw on my sneakers, applied body glide, grabbed my fuel belt/nutrition and I was on my way!

Right out of transition, the I ate my banana for extra potassium… it tasted amazing after eating all those gu’s and power bars on the bike. Hooray for bananas and the run!

Mom Camera IRONMAN 101

Mom Camera IRONMAN 105

Mom Camera IRONMAN 108

I felt GOOD and STRONG post bike ride!

I had been looking forward to running all day long… running is my strength and I knew I could make up time here.  I played it VERY smart on the bike and I honestly may have even been a little too cautious.  My legs however, were very happy that I was smart on my two wheels and they were feeling great right off the bike.  Maybe it was the adrenaline, maybe it was the crowds, but my legs felt REALLY good at the start of the run.  All of those brick workouts I did, definitely paid off too! My goal was to run a sub-8 min/mile pace on the run.  When thinking about a time goal, I had the magic number 3:35 in my mind and I thought it was completely realistic.

But unfortunately, other parts of me didn’t not feel as great as my legs did…

My stomach.

As I kind of expected, I did feel a little nauseous after the bike. During the bike portion, I drank about 7 bottles of sports drink (which was the plan) and I ate power bars and gus.  I tend to feel nauseous when racing, so there was no surprise there. Eating the banana out of T2 did help things a little bit. As the run continued on, my stomach did get a little better, mind over matter, right? The goal was to drink Perform at every aid station and take one shot block every two miles. I also was supposed to take one power gel with caffeine (but I just couldn’t stomach it).

My lungs.

I mentioned the COLD temperatures on the bike course in my {bike recap}, but I did not mention how it was affecting my lungs.  Due to the breathing incident that happened during the Patriot Half Ironman in June, I had my inhaler with me and I was very proactive with taking it.  I took two puffs before the swim, and then took four additional puffs, spread out during the bike ride.  I knew with the colder temperatures that Sports Induced Asthma can flare up, and I wanted to protect my lungs for the run.  Despite the fact that I was very proactive with taking my inhaler, I could tell my lungs were hurting from the bike ride.  As soon as I started to run, I felt the shallow breathing that I felt at the Patriot Half.  I was telling myself to just relax my breathing, but it continued to be very shallow.  I felt I couldn’t take deep breaths and I was wheezing and coughing… a lot.  I proceeded to take my inhaler (two more puffs) but it did NOTHING.  You know that feeling when you have a chest cold and you go for a run outside in the winter… that’s what it felt like… for most of my run. For the first half of the Marathon, it definitely felt the worst, then it became a mental game to just try not to think about it. There was seriously a point where I said ‘F’ my lungs because I was getting so frustrated.  I had trained so well and so hard, I didn’t deserve this!  My legs felt great, but the coughing and wheezing was affecting my pace and it was upsetting.


As I mentioned in my race preview, the IMMT Run Course is an out-and-back course, that you repeat twice for 13.1 miles.  It is split up into two sections. They call it ‘two loops’ on the race website, but it’s more of an out and back.  What I loved about this is you get to see other athletes and cheer them on/check out your competition as you’re running.

The first section of the loop is Chemin du Village to the beginning of Le P’tit Train du Nord (mile 1-3 and 10- end).  This is what I call the ‘hilly section.’

As I left transition I headed towards Chemin du Village, which took athletes around the side of Lac Tremblant into the charming little town. This section has lots of spectators and I loved the energy! People were holding signs, music was blaring… it was just what I needed. Chemin du Village is the hillier section of the course, and you climb up your first short, moderate hill within the first mile of the run, as you pass by the swim start from earlier in the day. The hills aren’t anything too crazy, but they can pack a punch after riding your bike for 112 miles. After that first up hill, there are some down hills (which I later went up on the return) I saw lots of people walking the hills on the second loop! On this part of the course, half of the road is open to traffic, which got a little frustrating later in the day when trying to go around people. Besides my breathing issues, I felt very strong on this part of the course

The second portion of the run is Le P’tit Train du Nord, miles 4 – 10 (just short of finishing 10th mile)


A photo from when I previewed the run course on Friday!

Before the race, I thought this section would be an actual ‘trail’ until I heard from a twitter friend that it’s actually a ‘nicely paved trail’ oops!  This portion of the course takes place on a narrow, wooded trail that’s very pretty and shaded, but does not have any spectators. It’s basically brand new pavement and did feel a little ‘soft’ on my legs.  It’s also quite flat and there is a small section (maybe 1/4 mile) of loose gravel/dirt trail before getting back into the Chemin du village. This section is quite narrow and can fit about 2-3 people across on both sides.  It can get tricky when trying to pass people and also around the aid stations. Besides the aid stations, there was no one really cheering for you, which made it mentally difficult, I found. During the first loop. I saw a lot of the Pro’s running by on the other side, that was really cool! I cheered for the first and second place pro female and also for the people on my QT2 team who were running on the other side of me.  It was fun to ‘high five’ my teammates and cheer them on.. definitely gave me a boost!

After Le P’tit Train du Nord I completed the loop and headed back into Tremblant Village. In this section, athletes are routed to the cobblestone walkways of the mountain village of Mont Tremblant (the best part with the most spectators!). This area is all downhill and it feels incredible with all of the cheering fans. There is a sign that says (Right) SECOND LOOP and (left) FINISH. I went right to start the second loop and others went left to finish the Ironman.  It was a little hard seeing that sign, knowing I had to run another 13.1 miles before coming back to this point.

Mom Camera IRONMAN 114

The best part of the run course!

As you can see in the tracker screenshot below, my pace for the first 13.1 was close to my goal time… I stayed in the 8’s with the exception of mile 13 where I stopped at a porta potty. My lungs were bothering me and I was coughing a lot, but I tried to just ignore what was going on.  My legs also continued to feel great through the first loop.


The best part of the first loop was seeing my family when I got back to the race village to begin the second loop.  I wish I could put into words how amazing it was to see them cheering for me. I think you get an idea of how happy I was by the look on my face in these photos:



Mom Camera IRONMAN 128

Mom Camera IRONMAN 129

The good thing about two-loop Marathons, is you know what to expect the second time around.  The bad thing is, things feel a little more painful the second time around. By the time I got back into Chemin du Village for round two, I was no longer wanting to drink perform or eat my gels.  It was getting more muggy outside and warmer. I took the advice of my peers and started to drink Coke.  All I have to say is, thank God for Coca Cola on this run course.  Honestly, I think it saved my life.  I had heard about people drinking Coke during an Ironman but didn’t think I would want it… boy was I wrong!  The change in taste plus carbonation really gave me a boost! I made sure to still take my Clif Shot Blocks and Salt Tabs, since it was getting warmer outside.

Once I entered Le P’tit Train du Nord for the second loop, there was a TORRENTIAL downpour when I was at around mile 16/17.  It was raining so hard that I couldn’t even see in front of me. I think the rain was a blessing in disguise because it helped me to forget about the issue with my breathing and also helped take my mind off the fact that I still had a ways to go. Here I was running on this dark, wooded trail, pouring rain… I was running with thousands of other people, but somehow I felt all alone and in the moment, it was pretty cool.  The rain probably lasted for about 30 minutes to an hour, just enough to make my sneakers completely soggy and heavy. Once I got out of the trail section for the final time and headed back into Chemin du village, the rain stopped and I was almost home! This time in the village was a little different than the first.  My legs were heavy and I was tired.  I was still coughing a lot and my mind started to go into a dark place, a place I didn’t want it to go.  My pace at mile 20 was 8:15, still doing well, but I was getting tired.  I just kept plugging away, drinking coke and smiling, trying to ignore the pain. There were many points where spectators told me to ‘keep smiling’ and I could tell they were happy to see I WAS actually smiling!

It all happens at mile 23 

As I mentioned in the bike recap, I wrote ‘mile 23’ on my forearm, to remind myself to think about this point of the marathon and to pace myself appropriately.  Around mile 23 is when I hit the difficult hills in the village and also a dark place in my mind. Running up those hills in the Chemin du Village was twice as hard this time around and things were starting to break down.  My feet were burning, my knees ached, my breathing felt labored again… I so badly wanted to walk.. but I didn’t.  People were walking all around me, but I refused… I kept going.  I’m proud to say I did not walk once during the entire Marathon. I knew I was headed to the finish, but that didn’t make it any easier.  One thing that gave me a little boost was seeing Nino, the owner from our Bed and Breakfast earlier in the week, he was cheering ‘go Kristin!!’ and that was just what I needed.

The last three miles were BY FAR the hardest part of the race.  As you can see in the tracker photo above, my pace dropped into the ’10’s’.  I tried not to get discouraged, since I was still running, but it was hard feeling like I could NOT go any faster.  As hard as I tried, I literally could not go any faster in those last three miles. It was also very hard not to get discouraged when other women were passing me… I hate getting passed on the run!

Miles 23-26 were without a doubt the most difficult miles of my life.  Those miles in an Ironman are the definition of mental toughness.  At this point, my body had been racing for 11 hours and I was forced to DIG DEEP more than I ever thought was possible.  I thought about all of my training hours and all of the sacrifices I made to get there, this is what got me through.

I looked down at my watch and I knew I wasn’t going to break 11 hours (my original goal) and I was ok with that.  At this point in the race, I was so close and I just wanted to finish… I was about to be an IRONMAN!

As I approached Tremblant Village, I knew I was SO close! I could hear Mike Reilly announcing finishers and I got chills down my spine… I was almost there. Once my feet hit the cobblestone for the second time around, the finish line was just yards away.  I thought about the advice you (my readers) and friends gave me, to take my time approaching the finish and to savor the moment.

Mom Camera IRONMAN 138

My cheering squad in bright green!

Todd waiting for me to come down the finish chute!

Todd waiting for me to come down the finish chute!

I gave high fives to people cheering me on, I held my arms up in the arm, I was so excited!  I had a permanent smile on my face and I did not let it go. I really took it all in and wanted to remember this moment. As I ran down the hill in the village, I saw the finish chute in front of me, wow that came up fast, I thought! All of a sudden I was RIGHT there in the finisher chute!  I got really chocked up at this moment, almost hyperventilating, so emotional!

These photos say it ALL:

Mom Camera IRONMAN 142

Mom Camera IRONMAN 143

Mom Camera IRONMAN 144 Mom Camera IRONMAN 145 Mom Camera IRONMAN 146

Honestly, I have never felt so proud of myself.  It’s hard to even describe what I was feeling at this moment, but it was electric, I felt like I was on top of the world.

Mom Camera IRONMAN 147


Mom Camera IRONMAN 148

Mom Camera IRONMAN 149

I crossed the finish line by myself and heard Mike Reilly call my name:


Mom Camera IRONMAN 151

Mom Camera IRONMAN 152

Mom Camera IRONMAN 155


RUN TIME: 3:57

My goal time was 3:35, and to be honest, I was a little disappointed with 3:57. However, when I thought about what I accomplished, especially as a first timer, I was still very proud of myself! I also realized that an IRONMAN Marathon is nothing like a stand alone Marathon;)


If there was ever a moment where I felt I could accomplish anything in the world, this was it.  After I crossed the IRONMAN finish line I felt unstoppable!

Once I crossed, I did have some issues breathing and the volunteers were fantastic in helping me. I took my inhaler again, I was ok, but still wheezing a lot.  They put the medal around my neck and gave me my mylar blanket… I was DONE!!! I couldn’t believe the race was over.

Mom Camera IRONMAN 158

Mom Camera IRONMAN 160

I walked through the finish line area, got some snacks and saw my family and friends waving me over!

Mom Camera IRONMAN 164

Hugging Todd when I finished! I couldn’t have done it without this man.


Me & Dad


Me & Jenny

Here are some photos of me and my ‘tribe’ after the finish.  They all wore matching shirts that said ‘Kristin’s Tribe.’  My parents, sister, husband, friends Steve and Emily, made up my amazing cheer squad! I saw them throughout the race and I have them to thank for all of my race photos:)

Mom Camera IRONMAN 175

Me and hubby

Mom Camera IRONMAN 172

My parents, sister and I

Mom Camera IRONMAN 167

Me and my Tribe!!!

Mom Camera IRONMAN 173

Dad, Mom, me, Jenny and Todd

And some father daughter moments…

Mom Camera IRONMAN 183

Mom Camera IRONMAN 182

Mom Camera IRONMAN 181

After the race, we all went back up to my parents hotel, which was at the top of the hill in Tremblant Village. All I have to say is, thank goodness they have the gondola that took us from the bottom of the hill to the hotel at the top!

Mom Camera IRONMAN 180

Mom Camera IRONMAN 190

Gondola ride post race!

Mom Camera IRONMAN 191

And then when we got to the Fairmont hotel, my lovely husband carried me up the stairs!


Husband of the year


After we got back to the hotel, I rested for a while. My appetite was a little funky and I wasn’t hungry for dinner until later in the night.  I attempted to shower, but it was SO painful because of all the chaffing.  I seriously could not shower… I will spare you the details, but I was literally screaming from pain.

After some rest and food, we decided to go down to the midnight finish line celebration! I heard this is a MUST do when you do an Ironman, especially your first one.  I didn’t want to miss it!  As exhausted as I was, I was so glad I went down to the finish line for midnight, it was incredible.  Mike Reilly is phenomenal.. the energy he brings.. he’s honestly quite the entertainer! There was music, fireworks, dancing, so awesome! Seeing the last finisher cross the finish line melted my heart. It was amazing to be there with so many people who raced that day, we were all celebrating together and supporting the final finishers.




Me and our friend Steve!

The last finisher was brought in by ‘angels’ people who wore angel wings and literally ran out to her on the course and ran back with her.  How cool is that?!

Ironman Mont Tremblant was a day I will forever keep close to my heart.  I came, I saw, I conquered… I had FUN!

Thank you to all of you for following my Ironman journey and for tracking me on race day! Thank you to my husband who was nothing shy of AMAZING throughout this process.  To my parents, sister and brother who cheered for me in person and from afar (my brother lives in Chicago), I am forever grateful.  Thank you to all of you I have met via this blog and social media for your support and advice leading up to the race.  Also, I am forever grateful for my chiropractor, massage therapist, and acupuncturist for getting me to the start and finish line!

It’s hard to believe my Ironman Mont Tremblant journey is over… but my life is just beginning as an IRONMAN! Next challenge… to be determined…



Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like


  • Reply Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles September 3, 2014 at 4:17 pm

    I got choked up reading this, even though I know how it ended up. You are nothing short of amazing my friend! I cannot wait to see what is next to come for you! xo

  • Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust September 3, 2014 at 4:57 pm

    I have tears in my eyes right now after reading this. SO SO proud of you, Kristin. What an amazing journey you took us all on and what an incredible finish. The pictures of your face running toward the finish line just say it all – is there a better feeling in the world?? I can’t wait to have the chance to experience the emotion and energy you just made me feel by reading this. Congratulations Ironman!!!

  • Reply Desiree September 3, 2014 at 5:18 pm

    Kristin, I have enjoyed reading each and every race post of your amazing accomplishment in Mount-Tremblant. I can only relate to the marathon part but your details of the whole experience are fantastic. But what I can relate to is the feeling of having a huge goal, training your butt off for it, and accomplishing that goal, with tears of joy at the finish. You did just that. You have an amazing support team. The pictures capturing the finish…WOW!! As for the coca-cola thing, I have volunteered at many ultra marathon aid stations and coke/mt. dew is a must. I never understood it until I ran my first Ultra (and only one so far) and when my husband gave me coke at one of our check points, well he was my hero!!! Congratulations Again!!! On a side note, I just know you where just as excited to reunited with Oliver when you got home!!! 🙂

  • Reply Nicole September 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm

    Congrats again!!! You definitely should be Proud more than anything that you didn’t walk at all during an ironman marathon! That seriosuly blows my mind! You did great and yes, an ironman marathon is far different than an open marathon. Do not be anything but proud!!!

    Looking forward to finding out what’s next for you!

  • Reply Jenny O September 4, 2014 at 12:11 am

    What a great race – you should be proud!
    I’ll re-read this over and over this coming year while training for Tremblant which will be my first – thanks for inspiring me 🙂

  • Reply Abby September 4, 2014 at 1:11 am

    Such incredible photos- they brought tears to my eyes.
    Such an enormous congratulations on a fabulous race! You have an even faster future ahead of you 🙂
    The ironman marathon is a beast- it sounds like you handled it amazingly well. I hope you’re super proud of your time (both marathon and final)!
    My lungs always bugged me, too. I don’t know if it’s just from breathing like that all day? Did you lungs hurt for the next couple days? I can never take full breaths for a few days afterwards.
    Hope you’re still revelling in the excitement and pride of becoming an ironman!
    Are you going to do one next year, or take a season off the full?

  • Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead September 4, 2014 at 2:35 am

    You are so inspiring! I loved reading all three recaps. You should be so proud! I hope you’re enjoying some well-deserved rest now.

  • Reply Logan @ Mountains and Miles September 4, 2014 at 1:16 pm

    I love reading stories like this! This is such a huge accomplishment and you SHOULD be SO proud of yourself! I’m hoping to do my first 70.3 next year and this is so inspiring!

  • Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life September 4, 2014 at 7:32 pm

    I thoroughly enjoyed your race reports! Congrats on your IM finish! I can totally relate to the emotions you felt as you ran down the finish chute and across the finish line! SO AWESOME!! Major kudos to you for running the entire marathon. My goal was to do very minimal walking…I walked the aid stations and just a few hills in LP. But, really impressive, to keep your momentum throughout! I hope you have been enjoying your recovery and look forward to reading about your plans and how life has been since the IM!!

  • Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats September 5, 2014 at 11:17 pm

    Great race!!! Awesome run!! That is some mental toughness not walking at all! Awesome day Ironman!!! That is a serious medal too!!! Can’t wait to see what you have on the horizon!!
    I think that an open marathon is way harder than an Ironman. What do you think?! 🙂

  • Reply erin September 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm

    That series of finish line photos… priceless. I teared up! There’s nothing like that first IM finish… so many emotions it’s indescribable. Huge CONGRATS to you, Kristin! Incredible race! So proud of you! You dug deep and totally rocked it! Sub-11 is in your future for sure 🙂 (And, yes, Coke is the magic elixir on the run!)

  • Reply kristin, you have asthma. – Sweat Courage March 19, 2015 at 9:06 pm

    […] Ironman Mont-Tremblant, during the run, the same episode happened again! Prior to the race I received a new type of inhaler, thinking it […]

  • Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:41 am

    Wow, marvelous blog layout! How long have you been blogging
    for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your
    site is great, let alone the content!

  • Leave a Reply