Back to normal life.

Maybe it’s the red eye flight I took on Sunday night (which allowed for a whole 2 hours of sleep) or maybe it’s the amazing vacation in Utah I just had. Whatever it may be, I just can’t focus on anything right now.  My head is in a cloud!

IMG_1148 (1)

It’s always so hard to return to ‘normal life’ after vacation.  While there really is no place like home, it’s easy to get caught up in vacation mode and just forget about it all.  Todd and I had the opportunity to ‘escape’ last week to some of the most beautiful places on the planet (more on that later) and I feel very lucky.

While in Utah, we didn’t watch the news once, I didn’t check my work email (ok maybe a few times) and we just completely disconnected from ‘normal life..’  It felt fantastic.  Sure I missed home, but I didn’t miss the stress (really I just missed my dog).

It’s funny, as soon as the plane touched ground in Boston, my home, life all of a sudden became stressful again… we need to go grocery shopping, back to work, back to emails, the house is a mess, so much to catch up on… ahhh. Going on vacation makes you realize that life can get so repetitive, so mundane, if you let it. The days fly by, the weeks blend together… I find myself always wanting it to be Friday.  And on Sunday when we got home, those feelings hit me again… I like to call this post-vacation depression.  Kind of like the post-race blues feeling, I am definitely sad that my long awaited vacation is over.  I don’t have any more vacations planned for the rest of the year, damn I’ve even used up all of my vacation time at work.  While I am trying to be positive, it’s hard to come back from an ‘epic vacation’ all while sitting in a cubicle with harsh florescent lighting.

I find that after vacation, I’m always reevaluating my life, specifically my work life.  Am I happy with my job? Do I need to do something more fulfilling?  Can I find a job with more flexibility?  a job where I am outside more? I don’t know what the answer is, but I wish I could figure it out! Until then, I will try and be happy with vacation being over and focus on the positive… like being able to cook my own healthy meals again and getting back into a training routine!

How do you cheer up after getting home from vacation?

• Reply Natalie @ Free Range Human September 30, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I 100% empathize with every single bit of that last paragraph. I always find myself feeling the exact same way. However, I get back into the groove of things, and those feelings lessen a little. That’s probably not a great thing as it means I’m not pushing to really find a better solution, but at least those post-vacation blues don’t hang around forever.

• Reply Kristin October 2, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one! You are right though, once you get back into the groove of things, the feelings lessen. It’s easy to get caught up in the ‘daily grind’ and forget about actually going after what we want!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust October 1, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I know the feeling all too well of post vacation depression. How do I counteract this…. Why, by doing as I do when trying to combat post-race blues… plan another vacation! My husband and I always have a vacation or some kind of get-away on the calendar to look forward to, even if it’s in the way distant future. I also focus on the positives in my home life, like you, as I do like getting into a routine and finding balance.

I’m sorry to hear you are still struggling with uncertainties and negative emotions about work. Have you thought about looking elsewhere or what kind of job would truly make you feel fulfilled and happy. You definitely deserve to do something with your life that makes you feel full and content… there’s got to be something out there where you can find your spark. P.S. Can’t wait to hear all about Utah!

• Reply Kristin October 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm

You make a great point here! I think I need plan another vacation! It’s always good to have something to look forward to:) I like to think of my current job as a stepping stone… getting me closer to where I want to be! I enjoy working in Marketing (where I am now) but I would love to work in an industry related to health, nutrition or triathlon! I think I would really find my spark if I did something like that! You’ll hear about Utah real soon!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life October 2, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I look forward to reading all the details from your Utah vacation! I am currently sitting on an airplane awaiting take off from RDU to spend a long weekend in Boston to celebrate my 40th birthday. I have never been to Boston and we look forward to exploring the city and enjoying some fall temperatures! I can totally relate to your feelings in the last paragraph. You totally hit the nail on the head because I share those exact same feelings!

• Reply Kristin October 2, 2014 at 1:06 pm

So excited for you to see Boston! I hope the weather cooperates for you! Are you staying downtown? I’m glad you can relate to my feelings about work… it can be so frustrating at times. Utah recap is coming up soon!

• Reply Kecia October 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm

This year is the most stressful school year I have ever had, so I completely understand what you are saying. As a school teacher, I only get two vacation days a year and unfortunately have already used them up 🙁 I am definitely ready for a break, but will have to wait until winter break…UGH!!

If there is a job out there where I can be on vacation all of the time, you can sign me up!! When you find that perfect job, let me know. I’m looking for one too 🙂

• Reply Kristin October 3, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Sorry to hear your year has been so stressful so far! I’m sure winter break will be much deserved:) I hope we can both find the perfect job one day! I feel like so many people aren’t happy with their job, it just doesn’t make sense.

• Reply Adventures in Utah Part I {Salt Lake, Zion and Bryce} | Sweat Courage October 3, 2014 at 2:43 pm

[…] from my previous post, it’s really hard to come back to ‘normal life’ after (an amazing) vacation. […]

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:42 am

If some one wants to be updated with newest technologies therefore he must be go to see this web
    page and be up to date daily.