This is my moment.

The moment I’ve been waiting for.

I am prepared, I am strong, I can do this.  These are just a few of the mantras I have been repeating in my head this week. Just a few days away from the biggest race of my lifetime, I am trying to just stay calm and relaxed… but it’s so hard!  My mind is consumed with the ‘what ifs’ and I am super anxious. Good thing I have been working all week and I still have to pack.. that should take my mind off things… oh and watching the weather forecast like a crazy person is a welcome distraction.

When thinking about my goals for IMMT,  sure I have certain numbers in my head…. but, as it gets closer, I am trying not to focus on the numbers.  Instead I am trying to focus on the PROCESS.  This is going to be my first Ironman and my body has never been through this challenge before.  Sure, I want to do the absolute best that I can, but like many people tell me, I can’t expect things to go perfectly.  Sure, I want to have a perfect day, but thinking that it won’t be stellar, and things can and will go wrong… I believe makes me more mentally prepared.  It’s going to hurt like hell, I will have (most likely) TONS of chaffing, at some point my stomach will feel nauseous, my knees will hurt, my back will break down… it will all probably happen, and I am prepared to deal with it… after all,  ‘pain is in the brain.’

A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there...

I have debated announcing my goals on the blog, because I can be quite superstitious about big races.  I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment.  On the other hand, I feel like announcing my goals will hold me accountable. This being said… without further ado… here are my goals for my first IRONMAN.  I am trying not to focus on that ‘magic number’ but it would be nice to reach my goals!  Finishing the race alone will be an accomplishment:)

My overall goal is to break 11:00 hours for the entire race.  I know it’s possible, and I believe I can do it, I just need to have a good day out there! Breaking 11 hours is a very realistic goal for me, but I am not going into the race EXPECTING 11 hours or less.  I will do what I can with the body I have, we’ll see where my body decides to take me that day. Also, I am not focusing on finishing at a certain place in my Age Group.. because let’s be honest… we NEVER know who’s going to show up that day.  Focus on the things you CAN control versus the things you CANNOT control. I can control my pace on the bike, I can control my speed on the run… but I cannot control placing in the top 10 in my age group, so I’m not going to focus on it.  I am focusing on the process and that’s it… oh and having fun!

THE SWIM

Goal swim time break 1:10

The swim has gone from my weakest sport, to one that I am now confident in.  The only thing I am worried about (per usual) is the start of the swim.  The swim start will be in waves, but I am the second to last wave to get in the water… after ALL of the men (including the old ones). I just need to relax during the swim and get in a groove!

I would love to get under this time, but I know that the swim is just a blip on the radar in an Ironman race.  My plan is not to overdo it, but maintain a steady pace that I’m comfortable with. The swim is the LEAST of my worries in this race.

THE BIKE

Goal Bike time: 6:00 hours or less

I love this blurb from Mary Eggers (8 time Ironman finisher, 3 time Kona qualifier. USAT Triathlon Coach) who raced IMMT and wrote about it on her blog:

I think this course will reward the athlete who is process focused rather than outcome focused. What do I mean by that? More often than not I see athletes come to an Ironman bike course stating “I am going to ride a 5:45″. Which is fine, but they get so locked onto that 5:45 that they unfortunately run a 5:45 as well. Instead…. focus on the process. Your pacing.

Let’s just say if I don’t want to run a 5:45, I need to focus on my pacing on the bike. If I don’t break 6:00 hours on the bike, I will only benefit on the run (which is my strongest event anyways!). I’m trying to convince myself not to get caught up in the magic ‘number 6.’ Similar to swimming, I have been working SO hard on the bike this year and have seen lots of gains.  My goal on the bike is to focus on the process and my pacing. Most importantly, I need to make sure my heart rate is low enough (i.e. not spiking into Z2) and follow my nutrition plan! I have practiced the plan over and over… now it’s time to execute it!  My coaches say, take the Ironman bike as if it’s a long training ride, and that’s exactly what I’ll be doing.  After all, it all happens on the RUN.

THE RUN:

Finish in under 3:35

My slowest Boston Marathon time is 3:28, fastest is 3:24.  Given the difficulty of the Boston Marathon course, and all of my bike-run brick training, I am fairly confident that I can run the Marathon in under 3:35. However, I am not getting stuck on this number because I have never ran an IRONMAN Marathon before.  Running a 3:35 marathon is not a stretch goal, but it also means things have to be going really well after the bike ride (i.e. my stomach is behaving itself).

Besides swim, bike, run (and the two transitions)…

I need to focus on my nutrition and the plan I have been following all along. STICK TO THE PLAN is my theme of the day. I know what I need to drink and when I need to drink it. When I need to have a power bar, salt tabs, gels, etc… it’s ingrained in my brain. The truth is, I have trained my ass off, but if I get the nutrition wrong (too much too little, wrong timing) things can go awry and F up my entire race.  Isn’t it crazy how it all comes down to science? I think so. Most important at all, I just need to remember to SMILE:)

Not sure what internet will be like in Quebec, so this might be my last post before the race!

In case you want to TRACK me on race day, and send good vibes, my BIB # is 779.  My swim wave starts at 7:00 AM.

IMMT

Just go to the race website on race day, Sunday August 17th:

Enter my BIB # 779 (under my maiden name: Kristin Lawhorn)

As you are tracking me, and I’m getting close to the finish, you can even pull up the LIVE streaming finish line!

If you are iPhone Savvy, you can also download the IronTrac App https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/irontrac/id489168542?mt=8 and search under 140.6 races, select Ironman Mont Tremblant.  Then enter my BIB # 779.  You will be able to track me from your iphone this way!

FYI my split times will be in KILOMETERS

**If you have done an Ironman before, feel free to send me tips for race day! **

THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING ME ON THIS INCREDIBLE JOURNEY!!

Patriot Half Ironman

• Reply Courtney@The TriGirl Chronicles August 13, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Yay! Can’t wait to follow you and be unable to do the conversion math in my head, haha.

This IS your moment and you are going to shine! I love the idea of racing the process in order to race successfully. Very great way to look at it. Good luck this weekend!!!!!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Thank you! Luckily, I the IronTrac App was in miles and not KM’s phew! I raced the process and it WORKED!

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life August 14, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Rock it and enjoy every minute!!!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Thanks Lee! I DID enjoy it!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust August 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I honestly believe that you are 100% ready for this. You have put in all of the hard work and effort. You have mentally prepared and fought through every workout and challenging weekend. It’s all a giant puzzle and now you get to put the pieces together on Sunday into a perfect masterpiece. I will be thinking of you and tracking you immediately after I finish in Lake Stevens. Enjoy YOUR moment, Kristin!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Thank you Kristen! The race was SO mental and I was glad I was both mentally and physically prepared for it! Congrats again on your PR at Lake Stevens!

• Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead August 15, 2014 at 2:06 am

Good luck! You’ve trained so well, you’ve got nothing to worry about!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Thank you Cassie!!

• Reply Abby August 15, 2014 at 2:22 am

Glad you arrived safely and are now ready for all the excitement to begin 🙂
    You are SO ready for this, your moment! You’ve put in a lot of sweat, early mornings, and challenging workouts.
    Go out there on Sunday and let yourself shine 🙂

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Thank you Abby! So much excitement leading up until the race. All of my hard training paid off… I had an amazing day! Best of all I had SO much fun

• Reply Gabi @ LeanGreenIslandGirl August 15, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Will be following you! So excited! This most definitely IS your moment!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thanks Gabi!! Way to rock IMLou yesterday! So happy for you!

• Reply Sara from SWEDEN August 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

best of luck on your ironman! we’ve got the ironman in sweden tomorrow and I have lots of friends participating.

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thank you Sara!! Really appreciate it all the way from Sweden:)

• Reply erin August 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm

You are READY, Kristin! Best of luck tomorrow! I’ll be tracking from the IMWI course! You only get that first IM feeling once, so remember to soak it all in… the day goes so fast! And, smile, keep moving forward and have fun! You WILL be an iron(wo)man! 🙂

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thanks you Erin!! And thank you for tracking me. Enjoy your taper, you are going to rock IMWI!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats August 17, 2014 at 5:50 am

You are going to do so awesome!! Just like you said: Follow the plan and everything should go according to plan!! Have fun and Smile! Lots of virtual cheering will be going on tomorrow!!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Thank you!! I followed the plan and it worked out really well! Can’t wait to race another IM now:)

• Reply Lee@tri*inspired*life August 18, 2014 at 12:22 am

Congrats Kristin! I can’t wait to read all the details from your race today! You finished with some very stellar times and placements. Awesome job! Enjoy your accomplishment!!!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Thank you Lee!!! The best part is, I had FUN!!

• Reply Kecia August 19, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I am so proud of you!! What an amazing performance you had on race day!! I hope you are soaking up your successes and taking a little bit of a break 😉

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Thank you Kecia!! I felt so good during the race… feel very blessed:)

• Reply The 25 Places You Must Explore In 2016 | BawlBuster December 30, 2015 at 7:19 pm

[…] sweatcourage.com […]

• Reply The 25 Places You Must Explore In 2016 – Inb4Sales.com December 30, 2015 at 10:25 pm

[…] sweatcourage.com […]

• Reply The 25 Places You Must Explore In 2016 | Bullet Metro December 30, 2015 at 11:02 pm

[…] sweatcourage.com […]

• Reply The 25 Places You Must Explore In 2016 | CZAAL Your Social Announcement Tab December 31, 2015 at 3:56 pm

[…] sweatcourage.com […]

• Reply The 25 Places You Must Explore In 2016 - Buzz And Gossip January 1, 2016 at 4:39 pm

[…] sweatcourage.com […]

• Reply The 25 Places You Must Explore In 2016 | Free Books Zone January 1, 2016 at 5:33 pm

[…] sweatcourage.com […]

• Reply The 25 Places You Must Explore In 2016 – How to kill your time? January 1, 2016 at 8:18 pm

[…] sweatcourage.com […]

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:15 am

Wow, superb blog format! How long have you ever been running
    a blog for? you made blogging look easy. The total glance of your website
    is wonderful, let alone the content material!