IMMT {RACE WEEK + TAPER}

every morning you have two choices: continue to sleep with your dreams, or wake up and chase them

When I signed up for Ironman Mont Tremblant almost exactly one year ago, I had no idea what to expect.  I knew the training would be long and hard, but I did not have a clue as to what I was about to get myself into. Fast forward to now, I sit here six days away from the biggest athletic competition of my life and I have to pinch myself.  I am about to do an IRONMAN (THIS Sunday) and I am READY for it. Years ago I thought people who did Ironmans were F-ing crazy…. Now I’m about to become one of the crazy ones and I LOVE it.

How am I feeling?

I have officially started my taper as of yesterday, and last week was my last regular training week. Bring on the taper madness!  As of last week my body started rebelling a little and I’m frustrated about it: sore lower back, glute pain, left patellar tendon pain… I think my body has had enough at this point.  All of a sudden these aches and pains are coming on and it’s making me nervous! It’s also not helping with my pre-race anxiety.  I have some chiropractor and massage appointments this week to help with whatever the heck is going on.  I’m also doing whatever I can on my own to help ease some of the aches that I have… self massage, epsom salt baths, icing, biofreeze, etc. I know I will be able to handle the 140.6 miles, but probably not 140.7 🙂 Also, part of me thinks a lot of this is ‘in my head’ and I’m searching for things to worry about.  Sometimes pain is more mental than physical:)

2c8411bcbc825566f34a32a68f7c6edd

Without further ado, here is my final IMMT Training Recap! Honestly, this makes me a little emotional. Where did the time go?! The next recap I write will be a POST-race recap!

Tomorrow or Wednesday I will post info about tracking me during the race!

Total hours last week: 15

Days Until IMMT: < 6

Monday

Open water swim 30 minutes at Walden Pond

Tried my new Blue Seventy Helix Wetsuit and it’s seriously badass!

August 2014 125

Tuesday

Bike
2:00 Hours
Warmup:
20 min @ Z1
Main Set:
3 X (10 min @ Z1, 10 min @ Z2)
Cooldown:
To final ride time @ ZR/Z1

Run
55 Minutes
Run the 1st mile off of the bike @ Z2 and the remainder at Z1

AUG 11 2014 044

Wednesday

Swim

Warmup:
500 @ TT + 10 sec pace
Main Set:
5 x (300 @ TT + 5 sec pace, 300 @ TT + 10 sec pace….all on an interval of TT + 10 sec pace). **use 3 stroke breathing on the Z1 legs**

AUG 11 2014 028

Thursday

Bike
Tempo Ride
Warmup:
20 min @ Z1
Main Set:
2 X (20 min @ Z2, 5 min @ ZR/Z1)
Cooldown:
To final ride time @ ZR/Z1 (as you feel)
**Keep cadence at 90 rpm throughout

Run
Zone 2
Warmup:
15 min @ Z1
Main Set:
3 X (1 mile @ Z1, 1 mile @ Z2)
Cooldown @ ZR/Z1

Friday
Swim
Speed Set Swim

Warmup:
1000 continuous @ TT+10 sec
Main Set:
1 X (Best sustainable 300) Take 20 seconds rest after.
4 X (Best sustainable repeats of 100 on TT+10 sec)
Cool Down:
400 pull buoy @ best 800 TT pace + 10 seconds per 100
100 easy kick
400 pull buoy @ best 800 TT pace + 10 seconds per 100

Run
35 Minutes @ ZR

Saturday

This was my final long brick workout before IMMT! I did one of my favorite loop rides for old times sake.  We had a wedding that evening, so I had an early start (7:00 AM).  Typically when I ride, I thoroughly enjoy it… this time, I found myself just wanting the bike ride to be over.  My mind was consumed with thoughts of IMMT (can I actually ride 112 miles and then run a Marathon?!) and I just could not enjoy the ride or get in a rhythm.  My quads felt way more fatigued than usual, which was also weird since I did a recovery workout the day before.  I found myself feeling frustrated until mile 50 when i finally got into a groove.  Again, I think I am just ready and my body has had enough:)

AUG 11 2014 061

Bike
Z1/Z2 Ride 4:00 hours
149 minutes at Z1, then 81 minutes @ Z2. Descend the pace throughout the ride and finish toward the top of Z2. Keep cadence at 90+ rpm.

AUG 11 2014 058

Run
Recovery pace run 40 mins

Sunday

Bike
ZR Ride 1:15

Run
Brick Run 40 mins

AUG 11 2014 099

LET THE JOURNEY BEGIN!!!

• Reply Nicole August 11, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I experienced a lot of the same emotions and physical pangs during ironman taper week! It’s normal and trust everyone who says it’ll all go away by race day. Don’t worry! I even felt knee pain the night before the race and it magically went away for the 140.6 mile jaunt …

Rest hydrate and focus on what you can control! And remember , expect 3 things to go wrong during our race day . That way as soon as one happens you aren’t surprised and can simply focus on how to overcome it. And you will!

I’m looking forward to tracking you!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I’m glad I can now say that my aches and pains did not act up on race day. My body was clearly just messing with me! It did go away! Thanks for your advice, I rested as much as possible before the race and I drank tons of water. Luckily, nothing went terribly wrong (except for being freezing cold at the start of the bike). Thanks for tracking me!!!

• Reply Kecia August 12, 2014 at 12:04 am

Here is to an awesome taper and an even better race day experience!! I’ll be cheering you on from afar and sending you all of my positive energy this weekend!! Go out and enjoy your day as you celebrate the culmination of this journey 🙂

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Thanks for your cheers from afar! It truly enjoyed the day to the fullest!

• Reply The Padre August 12, 2014 at 2:24 am

Congrats on a one year journey towards the rest of your life. Good On Yeah!! Enjoy the Chiro & body work in general. Its going to be a wonderful week & I so look forward to tracking you on Sunday. All of your sacrifices will be totally worth it & at some point you will find a huge smile on your face. Stay Strong, Remain Positive, & Be Present. Cheers

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Thank you so much! It was so amazing!! My sacrifices during training were totally worth it. There is NOTHING like crossing an Ironman finish line!

• Reply Abby August 12, 2014 at 3:24 am

I have absolutely loved following your training journey and can’t wait to follow you and read the recaps of your awesome race later!!
    Don’t read too much into what your body is doing this week. I have aches and pains like that before every. single. race over half marathon. And before my last two Ironmans I was fighting a cold!
    Come race day your body will know it, remember all the training it has put in, and rock the race! Enjoy the downtime and just get excited!!!
    Safe travels!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Thank you Abby! I honestly can’t believe it’s over now… so crazy. All of the aches and pains I was feeling during taper, didn’t act up AT ALL during my race. You were right, my body knew what to do!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats August 12, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I agree with all of the comments above!!! Your body is telling you, you are ready.
    Come Sunday you will feel great and ready to roll!! Keep it real light this week. Try to do anything but think about the race! Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!! You have had an epic training season!! You WILL have an epic race!! Stay positive!! PACE YOURSELF!!!!! 🙂

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:33 pm

You were right! No aches and pains on race day… all of that worrying over nothing:) It was an epic day and I can’t wait to do it again one day soon!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust August 12, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Isn’t it interesting how when we finally slow down and give our bodies a rest, it reacts in ways we wouldn’t expect. Perhaps your mind is telling you to get lots of rest and do the things you are doing (massage, Epsom baths, icing, etc.), by creating the pain, to be sure you are ready to perform at your best. Sometimes I find the small/tapering workouts leading up to the race more difficult and harder to get through than some of the longer days during training. It really is crazy how much the mind controls everything.

Cheers to you and your journey coming to fruition on Sunday!!! Go, Kristin, Go!!!

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:32 pm

All of those aches and pains leading up to the race and NOTHING hurt on race day! Well, maybe miles 23-26 on the run were painful… but more mental than anything. Oh and the chaffing, way worse than the muscular pain… ouch!