FIVE FOODS

Happy Friday and Happy August!  August means it’s IRONMAN month… I can’t believe it!  I turned the calendar this morning and reality hit me, I will become an Ironman this month! I am really excited and really scared at the same time!

10 day you challenge

Continuing with the YOU challenge, today’s topic is FIVE FOODS.  I am excited to share five of my favorite foods with you today!

Interesting list, "Eight Foods I Wouldn't Touch with a Ten Foot Pole" @SkinnyConfidential

it’s really hard for me to narrow my favorite foods down to just five! But, if I could only eat FIVE FOODS for the rest of my life, this is what they would be:

1. Dark Leafy Greens: Kale & Arugula

I love my leafy greens!  Sometimes I think I might even turn into a rabbit I eat them so much.  My favorite leafy greens are baby kale, arugula and micro greens.  I make a salad for lunch daily, that usually includes all three of these types of greens. Writing the benefits of eating dark, leafy greens could take up an entire blog post alone… they are SO good for you!

2. Granola

I am a sucker for some good granola!  My favorite is Purely Elizabeth Granola, which is sweetened with Coconut Sugar (a low glycemic sugar).  I eat this stuff straight from the bag and in my yogurt.  I also love making my own granola, when I have the time for it:) The key thing with granola is making sure it doesn’t have a ton of added sugar! That’s what I like the Purely Elizabeth kind!

3. Guacamole!

I could eat an entire tub of guacamole in one sitting, this stuff is seriously addicting.  My favorite kind of guacamole is homemade or the fresh guac from Whole Foods.  I consider guacamole to be it’s own meal:)

4. Organic Apples (Pink Lady and Macintosh when in season)

An apple away keeps the doctor away:)  I love apples, especially Pink lady’s and Macintosh, when they are picked locally.  my favorite time of year is fall in New England when we can go and pick apples!  I always try and buy organic apples because they are high on the Dirty Dozen List.

5. Almonds

Sometimes I think I am addicted to almonds, I eat so many of them.  I love anything to do with almonds… whole almonds, almond butter, trail mix with almonds, etc.  My favorite almonds are the Trader Joes Unsalted Roasted Almonds and Marcona Rosemary Almonds.

What are some foods you can’t live without?

• Reply Hailey August 1, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Mmm to all of these. Except the guacamole. I know I’m super rare for that one ;). I love arugula! It’s really tasty if you toss it in some balsamic vinaigrette and put it on homemade pizza that has a little bit of olive oil, feta, sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella cheese on it! I will have to look into that granola. It sounds yummy, and it’s hard to find a granola that’s not loaded with sugar or hydrogenated oils. And for almonds, if I take the bag and start to snack on them…they’re gone before I know it haha 🙂

• Reply Kristin August 5, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I love arugula on homemade pizza too! Definitely try the granola, you won’t regret it:)

• Reply Cassie @ Rural Running Redhead August 1, 2014 at 11:41 pm

I love all of these! Granola is a rare treat for me, because it’s so easy to eat the whole box in a couple of sittings. And this made me really excited for apple season!

• Reply Kristin August 5, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Agreed, granola is SO dangerous! I’m so excited for apple season too, best time of year!

• Reply Nicole August 2, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Sounds like we eat a lot of the same foods! I eat almonds and avocados daily and always have kale and arugula in the fridge!

Picking 5 to not live without would be hard! Avocado would definitely be on there! My favorite fruit is peaches but only if they are perfectly ripe !

• Reply Kristin August 5, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Love it! I could seriously live off of arugula, kale and avocado:) Love peaches too, but only when they are perfect!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats August 3, 2014 at 4:43 am

Nice list!!! I love guac!! I have had a couple bags of Purely Elizabeth I bought at an expo or 2! I think that is an east coast brand. I like Erin Baker’s granola. (Seattle) I also like to make my own so I can limit the sugar!! 🙂 I will have to really think about my favorite foods. They will probably all be desserts!! 🙂

• Reply Kristin August 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I will have to look into Erin Baker’s granola… love finding out about new granolas:)

• Reply erin August 6, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Mmmmm… a few of my favorite foods! I have avos and greens every single day (so good!), and Pink Lady apples are my favorite variety, though I can’t eat one every day anymore (apples don’t sit well with me… so sad!). Another fave: watermelon! Cannot get enough 🙂

• Reply Kristin August 6, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Funny you say this about apples.. sometimes they don’t sit well with me either! They really bloat my stomach sometimes. You probably think I’m crazy but I hate watermelon, haha

• Reply Kecia August 12, 2014 at 12:01 am

I LOVE kale and we put it in smoothies, on homemade pizza, salads…you name it!! Guac is also a yummy treat…I love to put it on my burgers 😉

• Reply Kristin August 25, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Glad to hear you love kale too! Oh and Guac on burgers is THE BEST

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:35 am

Great blog here! Additionally your website a lot up fast!
    What web host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink to
    your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours
    lol