Tri Talk Tuesday – Support Crew

Today’s Tri Talk Tuesday topic is very important and relevant to me, especially right now: The Race Support Crew. The topic is hosted by the lovely Courtney from Tri Girl Chronicles and Cynthia from You Signed Up for What

Tri-Talk-Tuesday-300x300

I honestly would not be able to do all of this crazy training and racing without my support crew. Now that I’m just four weeks shy of my First Ironman, my ‘support team’ is more critical to my success than ever before.

My Husband, Todd.

I know I have mentioned this countless times before, but this man is a SAINT and I am so GRATEFUL for him. Honestly, I would not be able to race and do what I do without him. Todd has not missed a single race of mine since we have been together (that’s 8 years!). I have competed in probably 30+ triathlons (I’ve lost count now) and he’s been at every single one. He drives me to my races so I can relax and eat my breakfast, helps me with my bike, keeps me organized, calms my nerves and cheers me on… oh and he serves as my official race photographer:) Todd is not an athlete himself and at times he thinks I’m a little crazy, but he is always there to support me 100%… and he NEVER complains, he’s pretty amazing.

My Family

My parents live close by and are always VERY supportive of me at my races.  I know how proud they are of me and what I’ve accomplished.  The best part is when I win an Age Group Award, I can just see they are so proud! It means the world to me that they will be cheering for me at IMMT and are making the trip up to Canada to support me. My brother and sister are also very supportive. My brother lives in Chicago and when I did the Chicago Marathon with his girlfriend, him and Todd had a blast supporting us from the sidelines!

Oliver, our dog

It might seem a little silly that I consider our dog to be part of my support crew, but to me, he’s basically a human!  We bring Oliver to every race where dogs are allowed and he loves it!  It’s the best thing ever when I’m flying by on my bike or during the run and he’s sitting there with Todd. I know he can’t cheer for me, but having him there is so great.

My friends, near and far

I don’t have a ton of friends near by, but the few that live close are very supportive of me! I also have girlfriends from college who may not be here in person to cheer me on me, but are always sending texts/calling to wish me good luck or say congratulations!

The blogging community!

I may not know you girls and guys in person, but your support on my blog through your comments, means the world to me! I love connecting with those of you who are also training for a race.  I feel like I have made blogging friends since starting this journey and I love it!

What does your support crew look like?

• Reply Courtney @The TriGirl Chronicles July 22, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Love it! And yes to virtual support crews! I completely forgot to mention that, but love shared through blogs or through other social media outlets feels just as amazing!

• Reply Kristin July 22, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Yes virtual support crews are so important!! I love getting advice from my fellow tri ladies:)

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails July 22, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Oliver is SO CUTE!!! I’m totally with you on the blogging community – Social media in general has introduced me to so many folks near and far that are just like me. It’s so awesome to follow other people’s journey’s leading up to a big race. It’s funny how excited I get for people that I’ve never even met! 😀

• Reply Kristin July 22, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Thank you, we think he’s pretty darn cute too:) I am the same exact way, I get so excited for people that I’ve never met before. I have loved building connections with other women who are runners and athletes just like me!

• Reply Hailey July 22, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I always love your instagrams of your dog! I feel the same way about mine. He can’t come to my races now for one because he’s really sensitive to the heat, and for another they don’t allow dogs at the races I’ve been doing on or off the course :/. But I’m hoping he’ll be able to come along for one in the future!

My mom is a huge supporter of mine. I’m living at home right now and she wakes up early with me and bikes alongside me and carries my water and fuel and is usually able to make it to most of my races 🙂

I totally agree with the blogging community! It’s so nice to have supporters we don’t even know! 🙂

• Reply Kristin July 23, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I worry about Oliver and the heat too, he can be sensitive to it as well… we just have to find a shaddy spot. Also, the good thing about Triathlons is, there’s usually water near by for him to cool off! That’s great your mom is a big supporter of yours, it’s so important!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust July 24, 2014 at 1:56 am

My husband is definitely my number one fan and support! I love that you also mention other bloggers because I completely feel the same. Most of my friends do not race or do triathlon, so I’m kind of the oddball of the group. Since I have been blogging I feel like I’ve connected to so many women who are like me and “get” what I do. I honestly think you are my east coast twin, haha!

• Reply Kristin July 24, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I feel like you are my west coast twin, it’s crazy! I think we are literally the same person ha ha. We are so luck to have great husbands that are so supportive!!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats July 25, 2014 at 1:59 am

My boyfriend is a huge supporter. He does races but not as many as me!! 🙂 It will be fun to see him (competing) this weekend! But he is going to be spectating the NYC marathon when I do it in November. My mom is a huge supporter as well! She has only missed one of my IM! (can’t wait to see her tomorrow). I love all the support from the blogging community too!! So much fun!!

• Reply Kristin July 29, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I didn’t know you were racing NYC, so awesome! Love hearing how your BF and mom are big supporters of yours, it’s so important!

• Reply Kecia July 25, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I would not be able to participate in the races that I do without the support of my friends and loved ones. When it comes to race day, I typically don’t have the race support of my husband, since he is typically out racing on the same course. It is amazing how important those race supporters truly are to help get you to the finish line…those cheering at the race and from afar (friends, family and blogger friends) 🙂

• Reply Kristin July 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Support is everything!! It gives me chills just thinking about it:) Again, so cool that your hubby does these races with you!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:33 am

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or
    something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home
    a bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog.

A great read. I will certainly be back.