Tri Talk Tuesday: Fueling Your Training

Happy Tuesday! Today’s weekly Tri Talk Tuesday theme is “Triathlon Training Nutrition”, hosted by CourtneyMiranda, and Cynthia! I am extra for today’s link up, since it’s one of my FAVORITE topics: NUTRITION!

Tri-Talk-Tuesday-300x300

Nutrition is something near and dear to my heart. I care so much about it, to the point where I would like to make it my career one day (not sure how just yet!). I am literally obsessed with eating the best food for me and my training every single day. I probably think about nutrition more than the average athlete, but I’m ok with that, since it works out in my favor! I could talk about fueling all day long, but I will try and sum up some of my favorite tips and tricks for you all to hopefully benefit from.

Kristin Lawhorn 7.7.14 134

The truth:
I have been in love with nutrition and eating healthy since middle school. Eating healthy, real food is something that I have always taken pride in and had found to be a huge part of my life. Nutrition has become even more a part of my life, and even more critical now with Ironman training. Prior to Ironman training, I was eating very healthy, balanced meals, focusing on REAL food high in nutrients. But I knew that I probably need to tweak a few things in my diet, in order to support my training. I opted to have a nutrition analysis done and it was SUPER helpful. If you are thinking about training for an Ironman, I highly recommend this!

Signing up for an Ironman meant time for some changes:
A Sports Nutritionist took a look at my training volume and what I was consuming, and WHEN I was consuming it. As I suspected, I was doing a lot of things right (healthy proteins, fats and carbohydrates) but I had to change a couple of things. One thing I was failing at was, eating the right foods for RECOVERY post training session or race. This was the biggest change I made in my diet and it was life changing! I went from never taking a recovery drink (thinking just a banana and peanut butter was ok), to taking a recovery drink every time I do a swim, bike or run that is long enough to require it.

Another HUGE change I made was drinking sports drink during my training sessions. For years I thought that just drinking water was enough… boy was I wrong. Sure, water is great for short workouts (i.e. not long endurance workouts). But I was drinking only water during my long bike rides, for example, and this HAD to change for the Ironman. As soon as I incorporated sports drink into my training sessions, I noticed a HUGE difference in my performance! Who knew sports drink could be life changing? As far as my normal meals, I did not have to change much there, just figuring out how to time my meals has been the important change.

Here are some tips I’ve learned throughout the years, and specifically now with Ironman training.  I am by no means an expert, but I have a lot of experience with this stuff!

Displaying photo.JPG

Timing is everything- The 30 minute window/Recovery
During a training session you are taxing your body and using up its energy stores (glycogen). Once your workout is finished, you must replenish what you lost in order for your body to begin the process of repair. In the 30 minutes immediately following your workout, your insulin sensitivity is at its highest and when your body is in this state, whatever nutrients you take in will be easily transported directly to your muscles, liver, and wherever else it is needed. You will suck it up like a sponge. Depending on the length of my workout, and the sport, I typically take 1-2 scoops of EFS Ultragen Recovery. This has quite honestly changed my life, especially on the weekends when I have long brick workouts on Saturday AND Sunday.

Eat Real foods, things you can pronounce
Like I have mentioned before on my blog, it all comes down to eating REAL food. I am a huge advocate for eating only foods you can pronounce. I could rant for hours on how much I hate the way Americans are eating these days.. it makes me sick. From GMO’s to pesticides to high fructose corn syrup, the list is endless… and it’s downright scary what companies are putting in packaged foods! The only thing I eat out of a package are my sports drinks and gels, other than that, I try my best to eat REAL food. Sure I have my cheat meals (i.e. pizza), especially after I’ve trained my butt off… but I try and eat real food 90% of the time:)

Carbs are your friend (as an Endurance athlete)
Whole food carbohydrates are vital for endurance training, especially an Ironman. I’m not talking about packaged carbohydrates like Oreos… I’m talking about sweet potatoes, fruit, greek yogurt with healthy granola, etc. I have learned the hard way (i.e. hitting the wall) that you NEED carbs when training for an endurance event. Another way I get my carbohydrates while training is through sports drink like Scratch Labs or Power Bar Perform.

Speaking of Carbs….. Concentrate on eating low Glycemic Index foods (GI < 55) throughout the day.
High glycemic foods, such as grains and refined sugars, cause blood sugar levels to spike, which can lead to increased hunger, fatigue, and excessive storage of body fat. These higher GI foods, such as grains and refined sugars, should be consumed during “windows” before or after your workout to help maintain/restore glycogen levels.

Eat very frequently throughout the day with a maximum of 2-3 hours between feedings.
This helps keep blood sugar stable and a constant supply of nutrients available for muscle recovery. To that end, reduce the fasting window while you sleep by having a protein shake, or some other source of lean protein, immediately before bed each night, and something the moment you wake up. This has made a huge difference for me. I typically have plain greek yogurt with berries before bed (15 g of protein!)

Increase your intake of Omega-3 Fatty acids
I take 2-3 g Fish Oil daily, which is the ideal amount recommend by my nutritionist. I also consume walnuts, avocado, and hemp seeds for additional Omega-3’s. Omega-3’s work as an antioxidant and have been shown not only to decrease internal inflammation (which is created during intense training) – they also help prevent your joints!

Just for fun, here is an example of a weekday eating while training for an Ironman

5:00 AM Powerbar Sports Gel pre bike ride
5:00-7:00 Consume PowerBar Perform, 1 bottle per hour (3 scoops per bottle) and additional gels if necessary
7:00 EFS Ultragen Recovery drink (1-2 scoops depending on intensity)
8:30 Breakfast: Sweet potato hash, 2 scrambled eggs, broccoli, some fruit
10:30 One serving almonds, one apple
12:00 Chopped kale salad with grilled chicken, lots of raw veggies, hemp seeds and Tessemae’s dressing + 1 piece 88% dark chocolate
3:00 Siggi’s Greek yogurt with walnuts for Omega 3’s
5:00 Power Bar Gel before next workout OR a snack of hummus and carrots if not training in the evening
7:00 Dinner: lean protein, veggies + 1 piece 88% dark chocolate
9:30 Before bed snack: Plain greek yogurt with berries (I like the Trader Joe’s plain)

Displaying photo.JPG

Obviously, this is not what every single day looks like, but it’s pretty darn close. I eat every 2-3 hours and I’m always hungry with Ironman training! The important thing for me is, not letting my blood sugar drop and to stay on top of my recovery! I may not have much energy to cook these days, due to long hours of training, but I make eating healthy a PRIORITY… Oh and the fact that I enjoy cooking helps too:)

How do you fuel your training? What are are some changes you’ve had to make with your fueling?

• Reply Kecia July 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I too LOVE the nutrition component of racing and training and wish I had more time to cook every meal. Ironman training does not allow for much bonus time for cooking, so when we have the time, we usually make extras for left overs and try to let one meal last for 2-4 meals throughout the week. I too have had to worry more about recovery nutrition and have found that Osmo Nutrition is great for training and recovery. Thanks for sharing your love of nutrition 🙂

• Reply Courtney @The TriGirl Chronicles July 8, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Some seriously great tips in here! I need to b better about recovery fueling, I’m pretty bad about that unless I feel hungry. I was definitely hungry all the time during my HIM training and I can only imagine how it is for IM training. Thank you for offering up such incredible nutrition tips!!!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust July 9, 2014 at 12:54 am

This is awesome, Kristin. Have you ever thought about being a nutritionist? My mom is a nutritionist so I grew up always being very mindful of foods and how they affect the body. I honestly think you would make an excellent nutritionist/coach for athletes and those wanting to get healthy. Your knowledge is solid. I honestly could do a better job of eating more and more frequently throughout the day. Sometimes I get so busy and wrapped up in other things that I don’t pay attention and eat enough. Not good. When I first started training for my 70.3 I was not getting nearly enough calories and my mom pretty much yelled at me, haha. I am learning the importance of good nutrition more and more every day. It is fun to see what other people eat during training.

• Reply Kristin July 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Thanks Kristen! I HAVE thought about this… A LOT actually. The only thing is, I don’t want to go for my RD… thinking more of a holistic nutrition approach, but for athletes. I’m glad your mom yelled at you for not getting enough calories, lol. You will learn are you do more triathlons what works and what doesn’t:)

• Reply Gabi @ LeanGreenIslandGirl July 9, 2014 at 1:36 am

Sooo happy to find another Ironman in training! I’m training for Ironman Louisville in August and have learned to embrace Ironman Perform. Great post, lots of good tips. Nutrition has become so crucial for me during IM training. Timing, quality and type of food are so important! Love your sample day….sweet potato hash and eggs sound delicious for breakfast and gotta have that pre-bed protein snack!

• Reply Kristin July 11, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I’m so happy I found your blog too! I only wish I had found your blog sooner, because I could have followed your journey all along:) Timing, quality and type of food are SO important, especially with IM training. For the sweet potato hash I will shred sweet potato in my food precessor and then cook in a pan with a little bit of grass fed butter, onion powder and garlic powder.. plus a little sea salt. I make a huge batch and I eat it all week for breakfast!

• Reply Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! July 9, 2014 at 3:04 am

I love this post! I need to keep it open on my browser and re-read it a couple of times or make some notes tomorrow. I really need to consider recovery (re) fueling and Omega 3s more!

• Reply Kristin July 11, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Thank you!! So happy to hear you found my info useful:) Re-fueling is KEY, so are omega-3’s… both are critical for performance and recovery!

• Reply Steph July 9, 2014 at 10:42 am

I always find it’s hard to eat right when I’m training a lot because I’m tired and starving and don’t always make the best decisions under those conditions, but I’m trying to do better with planning ahead. Some great tips here!

• Reply Kristin July 11, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I agree with you … it can be really hard to make good decisions when you are tired AND starving.. it’s easy to grab something out of a box or a bag. Planning ahead is key… I do a lot of my food prep on Sundays and Mondays for the week !

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails July 9, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I’m right there with you – whole foods all the way! It took me a while to figure that out but I can’t imagine eating any other way. I’m also a big advocate of Omega 3’s. I take them daily and I’ve found that they really do help with recovery. I agree with Kristen, you should look into becoming a Nutritionist or a Registered Dietician.

• Reply Kristin July 11, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I can’t imagine eating any other way either! Omega 3’s help BIG time with recovery.. I notice a difference when I don’t take them. Thank you… it’s definitely something that’s in the back of my mind (the whole becoming a nutritionist thing) 🙂

• Reply Nicole July 9, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Great post! We have very common eating and fueling philosophies! (Minus that I eat mostly vegan/vegetarian) . I’m all about carbs as long as they are whole foods like brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa etc. I drink a VegaOne recovery drink post workout and I also take BCAA and glutamine powders for recovery during tough training cycles.

• Reply Kristin July 11, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Thank you so much! Funny you mention this… I am thinking about going more vegetarian (not 100% but most of the time).. .I am starting to stray from meat a little bit. I love what glutamine does for recovery… I would be lost without it!

• Reply Bryanna July 10, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Nutrition is so important to traniing!!

• Reply Kristin July 11, 2014 at 9:21 pm

yes it’s crucial!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats July 12, 2014 at 3:41 am

Awesome tips!! Nutrition is so important for Ironman training! It took me some time to figure it out and I still struggle sometimes!
    I eat pretty healthy. Real foods. Sweet potatoes, quinoa, grains, tempeh, beans, nuts, eggs. I like to cook as well. I try and make a bunch of stuff on the weekends so it is easier to have lunches/dinners ready when I am ready during the week!! 🙂

• Reply website July 13, 2014 at 9:28 am

I agree that nutrition is important in our overall health regimen as much as training. Some people think muscle is built in the gym but not really. You have to eat nutritious food to help it grow and heal. My fave recovery snack is a banana smoothie. It consists of bananas, bit of sugar, whey protein, spoonful of peanut butter and ice. It’s really good.

James

• Reply Alex @ The Life Square October 12, 2015 at 4:49 am

Well, I liked your post and really wanted to follow the steps for Ironman but my prob is I am veg eater and late sleeping person. Any replacement for your non-veg items included in ironman diet???

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:34 am

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your
    point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?