race reports, Uncategorized

Patriot Half Ironman- The Bike!

Yesterday’s post was all about the Patriot Half Ironman Swim Course… Today’s post is continuing with a recap of the Bike course!

The Bike- 56 miles, two 28 mile loops

Once I got out of the water, I was excited to be on land and on my bike!  I am always relieved when the swim portion is over.  It’s funny though, by the time I get comfortable on the bike, I often forget that I just swam 1.2 miles (or whatever distance it might be). My goal on the bike course was to break a time of 2:44 (my bike time for the Timberman 70.3 last August).  I raced Timberman with racing wheels that I borrowed, and I did not know if I could maintain the same pace without the fancy wheels this time. Even without the race wheels, I went into the bike with high expectations, since I have been training so much!  I also wore my new Rudy Project bright pink Aero Helmet, which I’m totally obsessed, with by the way.

Kristin's iPhone 6.16.14 338

As soon as I got comfortable on the bike and my heart rate was steady (about 10 minutes in), I took my four Power Bar Blasts (think shot blocks).  Through out the ride, I  drank my sports drink at a rate of one 24 oz bottle per hour, as I was instructed to do. The first loop of the bike course went really well and I was cruising along.  I noticed a lot of men on the course and not many women.  I actually passed quite a few guys who said they were impressed with my speed! Only one girl passed me the entire time, I was happy about that.  There were two aid stations on the bike course, but I did not stop at either of them, since I had all of my fuel with me on the bike.

The course was absolutely beautiful.  Think ‘mostly’ flat country roads with rolling hills (some that packed a serious punch).  I heard it was an ‘easy’ bike course, but I must say, I disagree. At one point on the course, we had both sides of the ocean around us, loved it!  At around the halfway point, at probably mile 27 there was a big hill that was killer at the end of the loop! The turns were all VERY well marked and there were volunteers and police officers at every turn.  There were a few sharp turns that required me to slow down and lay on the breaks quite a bit.. but nothing too crazy.  At the end of the first loop I got to see my husband Todd (and my puppy, Oliver) on the sidelines.

Kristin's iPhone 6.16.14 332

Kristin's iPhone 6.16.14 334

After the halfway point, I knew my average pace was over 20 mph and my goal was to keep it that way for the second loop.  The good thing about two-loop bike courses, is you know what to expect the second time around.  I figured that if I kept a steady 20+ mph pace during the first loop, that it would be possible to keep the same pace for the second loop. At around 2 hours into the race, I took my three additional Power Bar Blasts and continued to drinks lots of sports drink.  I was drinking at a race of one bottle per hour (or more) and I could tell my bladder was getting full.  Once it got to the point where I really had to pee, I thought ‘now’s my chance to pee on the bike!’ This was a goal of mine going into the race- drink enough sports drink so I HAVE to pee on the bike.  I looked around me and no one was close by, or behind me.  I will spare you the details, but I did it!  It was really weird and pretty gross, but funny enough, I felt a sense of accomplishment!  I now know I can pee on the bike during my Ironman!

The majority of the second loop felt really good and I held my pace.  One thing that went awry, was I bit down too hard on my SpeedFill Aero bottle straw, and I actually broke a piece off of the straw!  The piece that broke off is what helps slow down the flow of fluid as I’m drinking from the straw.  At first I thought it was completely broken and I wouldn’t be able to drink my water, so I panicked.  Luckily, this was not the case.  My back of plan was to drink from one of the bottles that I keep in the  bottle cage behind me, but it is too much of a pain and takes a lot of coordination.  It all worked out in the end and I got the proper amount of fluid during the bike.

As I neared mile 56, I was excited to get off the bike and start the run (my favorite part), I was feeling good and strong!  I heard Todd, cheering for me as I neared T2 and I was happy to almost be on my two feet again.

Kristin's iPhone 6.16.14 346

Kristin's iPhone 6.16.14 348

Kristin's iPhone 6.16.14 356

Kristin's iPhone 6.16.14 357

Official Bike time: 2:45:06, Average Speed: 20.4 MPH.  (I was hoping to break 2:44, but I’ll take it!)

At T2, I popped another Salt Tab, threw on my running sneakers, grabbed my gels and I was on my way!  I felt good getting off the bike, but my stomach felt really full.  I figured it was just the sports drink and I shrugged it off… stay tuned for the run…

• Reply Hailey June 19, 2014 at 9:13 pm

56 miles…holy cow! That’s amazing…even more amazing that you’re training for a full. It sounds like you have your hydration plan nailed for the race. I know I’m just partial, but I can’t wait for the run recap!:)

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Thank you Hailey!! I know, it is a little crazy, lol:)

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust June 19, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Looking fast in that pink aero helmet, girlfriend! It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself on the bike and had a good plan for how to tackle the second loop. Averaging 20.4 mph for 56 miles is incredible. And bravo for peeing on the bike. I’m sure that the first time is a little awkward (perhaps they all are), but at least now you have experience for when you get to your IM. Can’t wait for the run recap!

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Thank you, I’m obsessed with my pink helmet (of course) and I felt really good on the bike! Peeing on the bike was VERY awkward and gross, but it really saved me time in transition! And I felt better after doing it… something I had to practice for the Full!

• Reply Courtney @The TriGirl Chronicles June 20, 2014 at 12:46 am

Awesome job speed demon! I use a rubber bite valve on my aero bottle straw, which makes a huge difference. Might be something to look into. And congrats on peeing on the bike, haha. Getting up the nerve to pee myself is something I hope I can get to someday. Beats losing time in transition!

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Thanks Courtney!! That’s really good to know abut the rubber bit valve.. I will have to look into that. Ha ha thanks for the congrats… I never thought I would be able to pee on the bike, I was so proud, lol.

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats June 20, 2014 at 3:43 am

Smokin fast!!!! Sounds like a great ride! Cloud cover with no sun is perfect weather!! You were so close to the 2:44 and you had race wheels last time! You are so strong!!! Keep up the training (I know you will) and you are going to crush MT!!!!

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Thanks Leslie!!! I was really happy about the cloud cover, and it held out until the race was over! I know, I like to think that if i had race wheels, I would have been EVEN fast at the race… maybe I will rent them for IMMT:) Appreciate the encouragement!!

• Reply Nicole June 20, 2014 at 3:57 am

Speed demon!!! I’m impressed with those splits! And I hate when the swim is too long (or short ) – it seems to happen way too often!

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Thank you Nicole!! Yes, it’s so frustrating when that happens with the swim!

• Reply Kecia June 22, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Way to rock the bike lady!! Speedy Gonzales 😉

• Reply Bryanna June 23, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I think what scares me most about iron man’s and most triathlons, is the same loops. Mentally I can’t do the loop thing in a race. my first marathon was like that and I hated it. Knowing I would have to do the same loop again wouldn’t be fun for me. I am volunteering at the Coeur d’Alene Ironman this next weekend and I can’t wait!! They do multiple loops, so we’ll see the same people over and over again. You are speedy.

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 8:05 pm

The loop thing also messes with my head… my Ironman is a two loop Marathon, should be interesting after biking 112 miles (which is also two loops, ahh!). Looking forward to hearing about your volunteer experience! Thank you:)!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:45 am

Excellent website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community
    forums that cover the same topics talked about here?
    I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get opinions from other
    knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Many thanks!