My heart belongs to running.

Happy National Running Day!

Fall 2013 147

I might be a triathlete now, but I have always been a runner. I started running at the age of 13 (that’s 17 years of running), more than half of my life. I’ll never forget the first time I discovered my love and natural ability for the sport… running several laps in my parents backyard (not kidding!). Although running has caused some frustration in recent years i.e. knee surgery and stubborn injuries, it has taught me many valuable lessons and for that, I am grateful. I will always consider running to be my ‘first love’ when it comes to exercise and sports.

729948-1157-0013s

In honor of this day, I thought I would write a thank you letter to my dear friend: Running

Dear Running,

• Always making me feel better when I’ve had a bad day
  • Teaching me courage (and heartbreak)
  • Coming natural to me, when I am with you I feel at home
  • Keeping my legs strong and toned
  • Giving me a challenge: when it’s hot outside, when there’s a hill, or when I’m just plain tired
  • Making me feel humble– when I am surrounded by those who are faster than me
  • Giving me confidence, in life, while training or during a race
  • Relieving my stress (thank you endorphins!)
  • Teaching me how to overcome the struggle of injuries: knees, feet, hips, we’ve been through it all together
  • Always listening… I can get my thoughts out with you, as if you were my diary
  • Keeping my blood pressure and heart rate low
  • Giving me body awareness, when things feel good (or not so good) you always tell me
  • Making me feel fast
  • Always being there for me. I am lost without you. I consider you one of my best friends.
  • Guiding me through three marathons in two years
  • Being the final leg of Triathlon that I always look forward to
  • Teaching me grace

Kristin's iPhone 5.27.14 172

All of these things and more, I am grateful for the ability to run.

Your life-long friend,
Kristin

When did you first start running? What does running make you grateful for?

• Reply Bryanna June 4, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I love this!! I need to do a thank you post to running too!! Happy national running day!! I too was born loving running. I started running as early as I could remember!! Chasing my siblings and trying to beat my brothers,. I don’t know where I’d be without running!!

• Reply Hailey June 4, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I love your letter to running! So many things to be thankful for. I started running when I was 15. It started out as summer boredom when walking on a treadmill turned into running and then I thought it would be fun to try out for the track team. I got my butt kicked, but it gave me something to work for (and something active to do for the rest of those school summers). Happy National Running Day! 🙂

• Reply Kristin June 10, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thank you so much Hailey! There are so many things to be thankful for with running, I’m glad you agree:) It sounds like you started running at a young age too. I also got my butt kicked on the track team and I loved the challenge. It also taught me how much I love hill repeats, he he.

• Reply Abby June 4, 2014 at 11:52 pm

This is perfect. I swear we are the exact same person sometimes! I’ve also been running since I was young- 12 or 13! Even though I was a triathlete for the last four years, I always called myself a runner!
    It truly was my first love and has been with me through everything. I’ve also experienced heartbreak because of it. I would give up ever racing again, going fast, setting personal bests or distance bests, if I could always run.

• Reply Kristin June 10, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Thank you! lol I swear we are the same person sometimes too! Running is truly the best.. even though it causes heartbreak. I agree with you, if I could just run my entire life (even at a slower pace if I had to) I would be happy. Running can be such a double edged sword at times, which is frustrating. It is so good for you, yet can cause damage if you’re not careful. I hope you can get back to running soon, as I know how MUCH you must miss it:(

• Reply Janelle @ Run With No Regrets June 5, 2014 at 2:08 am

That was a beautiful letter! I could relate to that too. Running does so much good, and it’s hard to put in words sometimes! Happy Running Day!

• Reply Kristin June 10, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Thank you so much! I was getting pretty emotional writing it… I forget sometimes how much of an impact running has on my life. I’m glad you can relate:)

• Reply Nicole June 5, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I love this! I have only been running for about 5 years and I hated running as a kid so I’m still somewhat of a newbie. I wish I had fallen in love with it earlier but at the same time wouldn’t change a thing!

• Reply Kristin June 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Thank you so much. I can’t believe you’ve only been running for 5 years, that’s awesome! It seems like you’ve come a long way in a short period of time:) It’s funny, I almost wish I found running later in life… I think my body would be better off for it.

• Reply Kecia June 6, 2014 at 1:00 am

Awesome post Kristin!! While right now I am struggling with the heartbreak side of things, I know I will be back on the courageous, stronger, confidence and grace side of running soon. Thanks for the reminder 🙂

• Reply Kristin June 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Thank you so much! Running can be SO heartbreaking at times. I find it’s always a love-hate relationship. I hope you get better soon… and come back even stronger than before:)

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats June 6, 2014 at 10:38 pm

What a great letter!! I have only been running for about 8 years. When I became a triathlete it was easier to call myself a triathlete because I am a way better swimmer and cyclist than a runner!! 🙂

• Reply Kristin June 10, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Thank you so much! I am jealous that you are a strong swimmer and cyclist. It has taken me years to get strong at swimming and cycling and I like to think I’m getting there:)

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:35 am

Greate pieces. Keep posting such kind of info on your blog.
    Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hello there, You’ve performed a fantastic job. I will definitely digg
    it and in my view recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this website.