IMMT Training Recap {Week 9}

Nine weeks… here we go…

photo 1 (41)

The Stats:

3 Weeks until Mass State Olympic Triathlon (my next race)
9 Weeks until IMMT! (54 DAYS)
Hours Logged last week: 10 (12, if you count our hike on Sunday)

Favorite training quote this week:
“When the pain comes, you know what I do? I smile..” –Chris McCormick

The first day of Summer was on Friday, which makes it more and more a reality that I will be racing my first Ironman VERY soon. The fact that it’s nearly July, is starting to freak me out just a littttle bit. I can’t believe I am less than two months away from Ironman Mont Tremblant and I have a feeling these next several weeks are going to go by faster than I can believe.

Here’s the thing my friends, when you are training approximately 15-20 hours a week and working full time, the days and weeks go by so fast, you don’t even know what hit you. All of the training and the days just blend together. I am in tunnel vision until August 17th, and while I am sad that my Summer is going to most definitely go by fast, I am ok with that. I’m training for an Ironman after all. I knew what I was getting into when I hit that registration button. Plus, Fall is my favorite season anyway and I will get to enjoy it post-race!

How am I feeling?
Now that I am getting so closer to the race, I am starting to feel ‘ready.’ I can honestly say that I am confident that I will be ready for the BIG race and I am feeling this sense of readiness more and more every day. Brick workouts are becoming, dare I say, easy. Riding the bike for many hours on end, while keeping a solid pace, seems like second nature. I raced my Half Ironman last weekend and I wasn’t even sore afterwards or the days that followed. I think these are all signs that I’m getting ready.

2c972d5d064bf8ad3f9bbcf0cf2b9916

This weekend, when all of my workouts were said and done, I felt a rush of confidence. It’s amazing when workouts that were once difficult become easy, you realize how far you’ve come. My legs are feelings strong and I recovered quickly from the Patriot Half Ironman. I haven’t had any breathing issues since the race, and I have made sure to have my inhaler on me at all times, just in case. I am planning to meet with my MD soon to figure out what may have happened during the race. Part of me just thinks it was the humidity and pollen that day, but I’m not totally convinced with that idea. Last week’s workouts were done at a lower intensity, coming off of the race. I started to pick things up mid-week and felt great throughout. This week coming up, I start incorporating more speed work on the bike and the run! I’m excited because I seriously love speed work. The speed work will continue until race day, and I look forward to switching up my workouts.

One thing I’ve realized is that IM training forces me to miss out on other things I love in the warmer months, like hiking and camping. I did my long brick workout on Saturday (lots of crazy rolling hills in New Hampshire- fun!) and Sunday was scheduled to be a recovery ride and run (both short workouts). I decided that I wanted to hike instead, since we were in New Hampshire and the weather was beautiful.. I don’t regret that decision for one second!

photo 5 (10)

Here is what I was up to last week:

Monday: OFF (Rest day, walked Oliver)

photo (36)

Run: Z1 HR 50 min

Friday:
Swim: 3,000 yds Masters Practice

Saturday:
Bike: 2:14 (43 miles) ~ 19 mph pace Z1/Z2 HR
Run: 1:01 Z1/Z2 HR
Both workouts done on some very hilly roads… great for training!

Sunday
Hike 4.5 miles (2 hours 15 min)
Welch Dickey Loop NH with Todd and Oliver

photo 4 (21)

How was your training last week?

• Reply Courtney @The TriGirl Chronicles June 23, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Love when once tough workouts become second nature! It sounds like you’re ready. and that mental preparedness is a big deal too. Great week!

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Isn’t it the best when this happens?! I like to think I’m ready too… now just 8 more weeks to go after this one! Thank you!

• Reply Bryanna June 23, 2014 at 9:23 pm

YOu are getting close to race day!! Glad training is going well!!

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 7:46 pm

eeek I know, so scary and exciting at the same time! Thanks so much!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust June 25, 2014 at 12:30 am

Love your attitude and sense of readiness for the Ironman. I have no doubt that you are going to surpass every expectation and goal. You know when the bricks and long rides become second nature and somewhat easy, you are well prepared. I think it’s great that you have one more little race before the main event – will be good practice and prep for taking on the Goliath!

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Thank you so much Kristen! I like to think I am VERY well prepared, and will be ready to go on race day! I think it’s just crazy that it’s becoming more and more a reality as the days pass.:) Yes I’m looking forward to the Olympic Tri in a few weeks!

• Reply Kecia June 25, 2014 at 3:32 pm

With that positive attitude and ease of workouts, you are definitely going to be toeing the start line at IMMT in a great physical and mental state…keep that momentum carrying you forward 🙂 New Hampshire looks amazing and sometimes we have to disregard an easy workout to do something we love…like hiking 😉

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Kecia, I hope so!! I will try my best to keep the momentum going… I’m truly enjoying the ride! New Hampshire is amazing, it’s a beautiful state with so much to do in the great outdoors. I agree.. sometimes we just need to listen to our gut and do something we love, instead of finishing what’s on the schedule.

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats June 26, 2014 at 3:15 am

Great recovery week! You are getting stronger by the day! The next 9 weeks are going to go FAST!! Embrace it and continue to get stronger and faster! I think doing a hike instead of a recovery ride/run is great. It will keep you sane now especially when you are in your peak weeks and all you want to do is anything but biking and running!! 🙂

• Reply Kristin June 26, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Thank you!! I like to think I am getting stronger too:) I have a feeling these 9 weeks are going to FLY by, ahh! I will take your advice and will embrace it all! I agree with you… sometimes I want to do anything but bike or run, lol.. hiking is perfect for that and it great for conditioning!

• Reply Abby July 2, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I think you are going to be SO ready! These last weeks will absolutely fly by, along with summer!
    I love that you skip a workout once in a while to hike- so worth it 🙂

• Reply Lisa July 9, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Just found your blog, great stuff! Good luck at IMMT. That open water swim venue looks awesome, where was that?

• Reply Kristin July 11, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Lisa! Really appreciate it. The open water swim is Walden Pond in Concord, MA. It’s really cool to be able to swim at a ‘famous’ place.

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:45 am

What i don’t realize is in fact how you’re now not really a lot more neatly-appreciated than you might be right now.
    You’re very intelligent. You already know therefore significantly with
    regards to this subject, made me in my opinion believe it from a lot of varied angles.
    Its like women and men are not interested unless it is one thing to do with Woman gaga!
    Your individual stuffs nice. All the time take care of it up!