Thinking Out Loud Thursday! {#4}

Here are just a few things that are on my mind today:

I am in a ‘breakfast rut.’ I am one of those people who finds a breakfast they love and therefore eats it every.single.morning… we’re talking for like a year time span. I basically overdose on one breakfast item to the point where I can’t even stand to look at it. Right now, I only ever really eat a sweet potato hash with two eggs and some fruit. It’s a delicious and very healthy breakfast, but I am sick of it. My goal for this month, is to start adding variety to my breakfast. I would love to start experimenting with breakfast smoothies (since my Vitamix is collecting dust). I need a breakfast intervention… Suggestions welcome!

0bbc00e180cd9c8bfd4a8e0ec7e34554

I love my “Official” Boston Marathon Photos… except they did not capture any of the photos on the actual course. Luckily, my family was at mile 16 and they captured some action shots. I bit the bullet and paid the $30 per photo because I just loved these two shots.. I am a sucker for these things. I hope to make a gallery wall of race photos in my home gym!

BOS MARATHON 2014

FINISH LINE

I took an Epsom Salt Bath last night and it made all of the difference. It has now been 10 days since the Boston Marathon, but I have still been feeling some lingering fatigue. I have resumed training this week, but things are still really tight (i.e. my quads). It helped to sit in the tub with some Epsom Salts last night for 20 minutes… and it was super relaxing at the same time. I honestly felt much better waking up this morning and had a great spin class!

salt

It made me happy to see that so many of you agreed with my post on Tuesday… it helps to know that I’m not alone! I feel much better now. Thank you:)

e8f404b5b1b27d189b646253861c2981

One thing I look forward to each day is foam rolling and stretching.  For the hour or so I get to relax at night, I usually spend this time stretching and foam rolling.  Often this is done while watching tv or reading.  I am really, really trying to stretch more often! I never have time in the morning after my workouts, so at night before bed is the best I can do!

ef1c34349dd50d6d7c27c54f9549fc2a

Thinking-Out-Loud (1)

• Reply Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 1, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Those shots of you at the marathon are awesome 😀 I’d probably look like I was ready to die or kill someone… Way to make it look absolutely effortless 😛

And I really wish I could help you out on the breakfast front, but I’ve been on an oatmeal kick for probably the past 2.5 years 😆

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Thanks so much Amanda!! Ha ha.. I was just so excited to be out there on the course! Although, the pain set in near the end, I still tried to smile to help cope with my burning quads. LOVE oatmeal too!

• Reply Abby May 2, 2014 at 4:05 am

I love your finish line shots, but my favourites are the up close ones your family took 🙂 I usually get sucked into paying big $ for my official photos, too!

Glad the epsom salts helped. Ease back into training if that’s what your body wants!

I’ve eaten pb&j toast probably 360 days out of the year since elementary school!

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Thank you Abby:) I also love the close ups my family took… those are so special and candid. Love PB&J, so good! PB, honey and banana on toast is so good too!

• Reply erin May 2, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Great shots! Totally worth the $30 price tag 🙂 Congrats on a stellar marathon, lady!

Sweet potatoes + eggs is one of my favorite combos! Also loving buckwheat-flax-rice toast with almond butter + honey. And, I’m making egg cups this weekend for quick, on-the-go breakfasts! Will have to post a recipe, but they’re super easy 🙂

Thanks for the stretching + foam rolling motivation! I’m SO bad at it and rarely take the time to do it… changing now!

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Thanks girl!! Yes totally worth the $ in my eyes:) I’m happy to hear someone else loves Sweet Potato and eggs as much as I do… I just love the combo so much! I really want to try egg cups with lots of veggies, maybe a little cheese too! Look forward to seeing you recipe.. I might post one too, if I start experimenting! Foam rolling and stretching is key… I really notice a difference when I slack off with it.

• Reply Sara @ Running Around The Charles May 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I need to learn how to stretch more, but I do Yoga on Mondays! I mean I know its not enough, but it helps a lot!

And those photos are great!! Totally worth the $30 price tag! 🙂 I bough a race photo from my first half. I look like I am dying, and I hate it, but will be happy I have it! 🙂

• Reply Sara @ Running Around The Charles May 2, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Oh for breakfast I was just on an Almond Butter, Banana and oatmeal kick. Trader joes has some flax seed oatmeal that’s really good. BUT I feel like oatmeal is a winter/fall thing,,,, So right now I am on a Whole Wheat Bagel, almond butter and Banana and sometimes with Jam or Berries to taste like P&J sandwich. I am totally the same way with breakfast! 🙂

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Oh I am an almond butter addict:) I love the almond butter and banana combo! When we go hiking I make almond butter, banana and honey sandwiches.. yummy!

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I do yoga on Monday’s too.. makes a big difference! I wish I had time to do it more often though! Yes I am a sucker for race photos too, they get me every time:)

• Reply Bryanna May 2, 2014 at 4:34 pm

I love those photos!! They turned out nice!! You looked much happier crossing the finish line then I did, I was happy but I think feeling some pain…lol….I love smoothies!! My blog has some great recipes. Adding chia seeds and flaxseed to the smoothies with protein, adds the fiber we need, protein, and EFA (essential fatty acids). I always throw something green in like kale or spinach. My favorite currently is peach, almond milk, sometimes kefir, chia seeds, and spinach with some protein powder. It’s delish. Also avocado and dates are great in smoothies too.

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Thank you!! I will have to check out your smoothie recipes! Haven’t tried Kefir yet, it scares me, ha ha. I love chia seeds an avocado, but have never thought to add them in smoothies.. sounds really good! I suppose it’s all about trial and error too.. I just need to start experimenting with the blender!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 2, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Best finishing picture ever! You definitely stole the stage. What does the Epsom Salt Bath do? I’ve taken ice baths, but not salt baths. I foam roll at the end of night too, while my husband and I watch our shows. It helps me to relax – as long as my cat stays away. He seems to think it is a toy and tries to claw at it when I use it.

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Thanks Kristen! Epsom Salt is amazing.. Epsom salt bath is known to ease pain and relieve inflammation, making it beneficial in the treatment of sore muscles. I find it REALLY helps me. I like to take the bath at night and I usually wake up feeling a lot better. An added bonus is that it’s super relaxing! Just make sure to drink lots of water because it dehydrates you quite a bit. Ha ha my dog always wants to play with the foam roller… he thinks it’s a big game:)

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:38 am

Amazing! Its really remarkable paragraph, I have got much
    clear idea about from this paragraph.