Thinking Out Loud Thursday {#5}!

Here is what’s my mind this beautiful Thursday…

It’s really nice outside today. A reminder that I hate being in an office and I would like a job where I have more flexibility (i.e. be my own boss). Now the question is, how the heck do I get to be my own boss?

6db4fed6fc4b0b322e5f01895ec4fa2a

I cooked with millet for the first time yesterday and I loved it! I made this recipe here  from ‘Oh She Glows’ and it was delicious! If you have not cooked any of her recipes before, you must try them asap! I usually cook with Quinoa, but wanted to try something new. I really liked the chewy texture of the millet combined with lentils and zucchini in this recipe! I also love this fact about Millet: Phosphorus in millet helps with fat metabolism, body tissue repair and creating energy (phosphorus is an essential component of adenosine triphosphate or ATP, a precursor to energy in your body). Such a great reason to eat millet as an athlete!

1bb2188b3bf453b170ca52aa7f6c21b0

We are planning a trip out to Utah in late September, and I’m getting stressed out trying to figure out where to explore out there! We have a wedding in Park City and plan to spend a week prior to the wedding exploring the area or driving to Wyoming! We have been to Moab in southern Utah, but never anywhere else. We are looking to do some camping, hiking, mountain biking, etc… suggestions welcome! Living on the east coast, the West is very foreign to me:)

e741388e1a676d19950b7a5be0eb4936

I’m on a mission to get my glutes back! After giving up Crossfit this Winter to focus on Ironman training, I’ve noticed that my glutes went from defined and strong to looking flat and feeling weak… not happy about this! Not only does it look bad to have a flat bum, but it’s also not good for all of the biking and running I do! Case and point right here from Competitor Magazine: Have you noticed that sprinters usually have big butts? That’s because the glutes are the hardest-working muscles in all-out sprinting. In athletes who do a lot of full-speed running, the muscle fibers comprising the glutes thicken, and the rear end inflates. The glutes are the hardest-working muscles in distance runners, too, but the relatively low-intensity nature of the training does not stimulate the sort of hypertrophy that results in visible changes to the anatomy. I’m on a mission to get my glutes back and I’ve been doing strengthening exercises 2-3 times/week! I will share my favorites on the blog soon!

Read more about glutes and running HERE.

IMG_0191

I have been enjoying my lunch time runs, or ‘runches’ as I like to call them! I can’t always get out to run during lunch, but when I can, it’s a really nice way to break up the day (and get my training in)! I also find that my energy level is at a great point during the lunch hour. I don’t always have a ton of energy to run after a long day at work, so during midday is perfect for me (this is of course when I don’t run in the morning hours). My only grip is having to get changed, clean up and all of that … then return to my desk… still sweating..

photo (29)

Happy almost Friday!

Thinking-Out-Loud (1)

• Reply Nicole May 8, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I cook a lot with quinoa too so this would be a great change.

I want my glutes back too!! My butt has gotten flatter with all the running and weight loss. I used to have a big butt! I have been doing more squats and lunges with P90X3 but I may have to increase the challenge for bikini season!

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:35 pm

You’re welcome! You have to make it, it’s amazing!!! Ugh I hate losing my butt, it makes me seriously depressed! I am also increasing the challenge for bikini season! I am on a mission, lol.

• Reply Bryanna May 8, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Park City is beautiful!! I think you should try to make it to Zion National Park. It’s only 4-5 hours from Salt Lake City and it is gorgeous!! Hopefully it won’t snow on you!! 😉

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I think we are planning on going to Zion, it looks breath taking! I hope it doesn’t snow either, especially after what you experienced, lol. Now we just have to figure out what to do when we are there!

• Reply Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I know how you feel about the opposite coast feeling completely foreign — that’s actually how the east coast feels to me 😛 I’ll be heading to Utah early next month for a blogging retreat, and I seriously can’t wait. I’ve never been, but I hear it’s absolutely gorgeous 🙂

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I would love to go to a blogging retreat some day, awesome that it’s in Utah! I would love to travel all over the west some day… especially CA, OR and WA!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 9, 2014 at 12:15 am

Utah in September has got to be beautiful! I have actually never been to Utah, but it’s on my list of places to go (I think it’s only a 7 hour drive from where I am, which isn’t bad). I would feel lost if I ventured over to the East Coast . It’s definitely a foreign place to me. Hmm, a job with flexibility. I will keep my eyes and ears open for a position here in Bend 😉

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I hear it’s beautiful in Utah in September… also less crowded perhaps? Lol definitely keep your eyes and ears open… if the perfect opportunity presented itself, not sure I could resist moving out there! 🙂

• Reply Louise@FitRadiance May 9, 2014 at 8:26 am

I’ve never tried millet yet! It looks a lot like quinoa. I think I’d really like it 🙂
    Haha, I love your ‘runches’ term. It sounds like a great way to break up the day and would get you feeling more energised. Even if I sit at home on my laptop for too long at the weekend, my energy gets zapped. Getting up and doing some exercise, works every time 🙂

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I think you would totally love Millet, very similar to Quinoa, just a little more hearty! Exercising absolutely wakes you up. I find that I am more tired when I don’t exercise first thing in the morning, than when I do exercise:) There has to be a science behind it!

• Reply Kecia May 9, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I have not tried millet before, but I’m thinking it is a MUST try. Thanks for the recipe!! I too have to work on my glutes and hamstrings…UGH 😉

• Reply Kristin May 13, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I think you will love Millet, and it’s so healthy. You’re welcome! Glutes and hammies so often get neglected, ugh!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:33 am

I’m really loving the theme/design of your weblog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility
    problems? A number of my blog readers have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox.
    Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?