IMMT Training Recap {Week 16}

photo (23)

The Stats:

16 Weeks until IMMT
Total Training hours last week: 12:30

Now that the Boston Marathon is behind me, my full 100% focus is on my Ironman in August. Full speed ahead! The week after the Boston Marathon I took as a ‘rest’ week and this past week I picked up my serious training again. It was so crazy getting the emailed training plan from my coach, titled ‘IMMT Training Plan.’ This is when it sunk in and became even more REAL. I will be competing in an Ironman in 16 weeks, and I have a feeling those 16 weeks are going to fly by!

e996e8e7f0f9e3ef86a6a8c29fe66673

Last week was my first week back into training post Boston and my legs still felt a little like jello. My quads just felt tired during my runs, so I really focused on stretching and foam rolling post run. Now I just need to keep up my stretching daily…:) I am also really enjoying the free hour long yoga class at my office each Monday. It’s so great to do gentle yoga coming off a tough weekend of workouts!

Gentle-Yoga-300x295

On Saturday I decided to take my training run to the White Mountains, I was craving the trails and fresh air! I was scheduled to do a bike/run workout, but I wanted to take advantage of the awesome weather and head to the trails. Usually, Todd and my dog hike with me, but Todd had to help me Dad with yard work, so I was on my own. I decided to leave the dog behind (as guilty as I felt about doing this) and make my hike into a solo trail run. I went to a trail we have done many times, so I felt comfortable doing it all alone. The hike I did is called the Welch-Dickey Loop and it’s one of our favorites in the White Mountains! It’s one of those shorter day hikes that gives you the best ‘bang for your buck’… 4.5 mile loop, amazing views the whole way, difficult hike for the short distance (makes for a great run/hike, but doesn’t take up your whole day). Whenever we can’t fit in a big hike in the Whites, we do the Welch-Dickey Loop. It made for a TOUGH trail run. The trail climbs almost right away from the parking lot and does not let up for about 1.5 miles. I was feeling it! I did have to scramble at the very steep/rocky sections, but I was proud of myself for running for most of it! There were times I felt all alone on the ledges and the views were spectacular! It was such a liberating experience doing it all alone. Also, I now want to get new trail running shoes and try other mountain runs (my trail running shoes were completely worn out, only complaint of the day).

photo 5 (6)

If only every trail run included these views:

photo 4 (16)

photo 1 (28)

Here is what my training looked like last week:

Monday
Swim: 3,000 yds at Master’s Practice
Yoga class during lunch

Tuesday
Strength Training 1 hour
Bike: 1:30
Run: Scheduled for 40 minutes, but I did 32 (my legs were tired!)

Wednesday
Swim: 3,000 yds at Master’s practice
Core work

Thursday
Bike: Spin class 1 hour
Strength and agility work

Friday
Swim: 3,000 yds
Run: 45 minutes

Saturday:
Trail run/hike for 4.5 miles (1 hour 20 minutes of mostly trail running/rock scrambling)

photo (24)

Sunday:
Bike: 2:30 at Z1 Heart rate (steady pace)
Transition run 25 minutes, easy (I even got my hubby to join me! *he hates running..)

I am excited for the week ahead!

• Reply Jen K May 5, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Hello! Just stopping by from #BestFoot and wanted to say Hi! Awesome week of training…and some awesome outdoor pics! Have a great day! xoxo

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Thanks for stopping by Jen! I stopped over at your blog too! Have a great day 🙂

• Reply Bryanna May 5, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Love the views!! Hiking is so amazing. This makes me want to go with the hubby more!!

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Hiking is amazing! there’s nothing like it:)

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails May 5, 2014 at 6:14 pm

hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog – SO excited to find another triathlete on #Bestfoot!! I ran Boston as well and I’ve found that my legs are still not totally 100%. This year’s race took a LOT out of me. Good luck with your Ironman journey! I started following you on Bloglovin’ so I can follow along. 🙂

• Reply Kristin May 5, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for stopping by! My legs still aren’t 100% either! Crazy considering it was three weeks ago. This year’s race also took a lot out of me… more than last year’s. Thanks so much for the ‘good luck’ 🙂

• Reply Nicole May 5, 2014 at 9:01 pm

That trail sounds great! We used to have lunchtime yoga at my old company – it was amazing!

16 weeks will fly by but you will also be amazing at how much endurance you will build in that time!

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Lunch time yoga IS amazing! I have a feeling 16 weeks will fly by too! Excited to see how much endurance I can build!

• Reply Hailey May 5, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Wow. An Ironman! That is super cool:) I have no idea what the training for that is like so I look forward to following your training! Love the views from your trail run!

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Yes it’s a little crazy, I know:) Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog:)

• Reply Lara @ Uptite Mamas May 5, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Congrats on completing Boston and for getting back into training! I have to try to get myself to stretch every day too. Thanks for sharing the awesome trail photos and good luck with your Ironman training. I’m completely impressed! #bestfoot

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Thank you so much!!Stretching is so important, but it definitely takes the back burner:)

• Reply Abby May 6, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Nice trail run! I always feel bad when I leave our dog, too, since he loves the trails so much. But sometimes a solo trail run is just what was needed!
    Tuesdays are my work yoga day at lunch- I really hope to make it to today’s class!
    Exciting you’re finished week one of official training! Can’t wait to keep following along!

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I know, I get so sad leaving Oliver behind! But a solo run can be so fantastic. It was nice to be alone up there last weekend. Yoga at work is the best and it’s so convenient!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 7, 2014 at 3:17 am

Wow, you have 16 weeks until your IM and you are putting in 12+ hours of training in a week!? I can’t imagine what a peak week looks like (I’m super curious). I so badly have the itch to do a full IM, but I probably should survive the half first, right? I absolutely love a good trail run. Even though they often more difficult and isolated, there is something about the beauty and environment that balances it out. I can’t wait to do more trail running up in the mountains once the snow melts! Those views are beautiful – AND you are in a tank!

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Yeah hard to believe, right? A peak week looks to be about 20-22 hours… yikes! I’m excited for you to do your first half! You will definitely get the itch even more after your race. It had finally warmed up here in New England and I was able to hike in shorts and a tank last weekend… however, the higher elevation peaks in NH still have snow! I could spend all day on top of a mountain… I am definitely a mountain girl at heart.

• Reply Kecia May 7, 2014 at 9:22 am

Great week of training!! I love the pics and the views!! Living in Central Iowa, our version of a trail run here looks quite different…I’m envious of having the mountains so close with lots of possible adventures around every corner 😉

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Thank you!! I’m sure in Iowa the trails do look quite different:) We are very lucky, living just outside of Boston… the mountains are only a few hours away!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:30 am

certainly like your web-site but you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.

Several of them are rife with spelling problems
    and I to find it very troublesome to inform the truth nevertheless I’ll surely come back
    again.