IMMT Training Recap {Week 15}

photo 1 (30)

The stats:

Total Training hours last week: 14:30

15 weeks until IMMT
5 weeks until my next race: Patriot Half Ironman

Last week was the highest volume week I’ve had in a while! I had a productive week and weekend of training, with lots of time spent outdoors whenever I could. I typically do all of my week day rides in the basement on my trainer. Since I always ride in the early morning hours, it’s more convenient and safe to go down to my basement. I did my 3 hour bike ride on Saturday on my trainer due to rain (blah), but I watched a movie and zoned in.. I was done before I knew it! I am still not in the open water yet (water is too cold here!), so I’ve been at the pool 3+ days/week. All of my runs last week and this weekend were done outdoors, which was fantastic of course. My favorite place to run is a pond/trails that are 1.5 miles from our house. I typically run to the pond, run on the trails surrounding the pond, and then back to my house. This run is about 6.5 miles. If I have to go longer, I’ll just do an extra loop at the pond. The wooded trails surrounding the pond are just over 3 miles, and love how I don’t have to run on pavement the entire time. I also discovered yesterday, there are additional trail networks around the pond, had fun exploring those!

photo 5 (7)

photo (30)

Here is what I was up to last week!

Distance totals:

Swimming: 10,400 yards (~ 6 miles)
Biking: ~ 90 miles
Running: 30 miles
All of my training is designed by my coach

Monday
Swim 2900 yards (was supposed to be less, but wanted to swim longer!)
Core work

Bike 1:30
Strength work

Friday
Swim 3,000 yds
Run 50 min

Saturday
Bike 3:00 at Zone 1 HR (indoors, it was raining)
TRX upper body workout
Recovery run 26 min
Walk Oliver 2.5 miles

photo 4 (17)

Oliver enjoyed his walk on Saturday!

Sunday
Swim 1500 yds, steady swim
Bike 1 hour with 10 x 30 second sprints
Run 1:03

How I’m feeling overall:
I feel great! Except for my left heel. While training for Boston, I talked about my heel pain. I actually took 5 weeks off from running this winter and the pain subsided (a little bit). I knew that running Boston would put me at risk for a flare up, but I was willing to take the chance. Well, since Boston, my heel has had a nagging pain and it doesn’t want to go away. From my MRI, I know that I have some form of plantar fasciitis, but that’s actually not what’s causing my pain. Through talking to my health care providers and doing research, heel pain is not always PF, it can actually be other things (that’s why an MRI is good to have if you’re not sure!). I have heel necrosis (i.e. dead tissue in my heel fat pad). Fat pads are located beneath the heel bone of each foot and serve as shock absorbers when running, exercising or walking. When these tissues break down, you can develop necrosis of the heel fat pad. It’s VERY painful, but NOT when I run. It actually doesn’t hurt at all when I run. I ran the Boston Marathon for 26.2 miles with no heel pain (because I’m not hitting the spot when I run). The pain however, is with me all day, every day, whenever I’m standing or walking for long periods of time. For someone who is SUPER active like myself, it’s very frustrating and hurts! What makes it better is wearing shoes with a lot of cushioning in the heel (like my OOFOS that I reviewed on Friday!). Sadly, the only way this is going to go away is if I stop doing anything on my feet… which we all know isn’t going to happen. In the meantime, I’m just going to wear shoes with a ton of cushioning and see my Chiropractor weekly for massage, electric stimulation, etc.. and pray that it starts to heal.. Trying to be optimistic here.  My doctor says this should not affect IMMT, I hope he’s right!

c94c3c0d4c55239875b9707bd7056e1c

How was your training last week?

• Reply Janelle @ Run With No Regrets May 12, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear about your heel necrosis…it doesn’t sound enjoyable at all. It looks like your training is going well…I’m so inspired by people who train for tri’s!

• Reply Kristin May 13, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thank you Janelle! It’s quite awful to be honest… a nagging pain that doesn’t want to go away. But besides that, training IS going well! You should do a Tri! You won’t regret it:)

• Reply Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 13, 2014 at 12:11 am

Sorry about your heel! I guess the silver lining is that it doesn’t hurt while you are running.
    Looks like you had a great training week! I am a terrible swimmer and don’t bike outdoors, so I have never even considered a tri. I bet its really great to balancing training, rather than just running all the time!

• Reply Kristin May 13, 2014 at 3:42 pm

thank you! Yes the fact that it doesn’t hurt when I run, is definitely the silver lining. Apparently I’m not doing any more damage on it by running either (at least that’s what they tell me…). Tri’s are a great balance, that’s for sure. Swimming can be very intimidating, but I am a true believer that anyone can do a triathlon if they are willing to put in the time and training. You would love it!

• Reply Abby May 13, 2014 at 2:36 am

That sucks about your heel- sorry to hear. At least it doesn’t hurt to run!
    Awesome week, and great swimming!
    Also- exciting your next race is in five weeks!! Where is it?
    My training was varied, which was nice, and I ran for the first time in a few weeks!

• Reply Kristin May 13, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Thank you. Yeah it’s just so crazy… I am booking a follow up doc appt to dig deeper into the issue… I’m still really confused as to what’s really going on! My next race is in Massachusetts (about an hour south from where I live) in a town called Freetown. It’s a local half ironman that’s really popular and I hear it’s a fun course! Nice to hear you are running again!

• Reply Lara @ Uptite Mamas May 13, 2014 at 10:40 am

You are a trooper! Sorry to hear about your injury. But since you know what it is and what you can do about it, I’m sure you will take good care of yourself during training and will rock it! #bestfoot

• Reply Kristin May 13, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Thank you! I’m trying! I am trying to take good care of my foot (and the rest of my body). I just hope it can handle the Ironman!

• Reply Krysten (@darwinianfail) May 13, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Whew that is some serious training girl! You are totally killing it! I know you are going to rock your Half IM.

And PS did you know that we are WESTIE buddies?! I have a 5 year old westie named Clark!

• Reply Kristin May 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Thank you!! I DID see that you are a WESTIE MOM!! So exciting to find another athlete who is as Westie obsessed as I am! I love the name Clark!

• Reply Kecia May 13, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your heal!! I hope you are able to find relief soon!! You put in a good solid week despite the heal pain 🙂

• Reply Kristin May 13, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Thank you! It’s been a bummer that’s for sure… Still trucking on though:)

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Love the compilation of swim, bike, run photos. Looks like you had quite the week! That is crazy about your heel – and the fact that it doesn’t hurt while you run. Aren’t injuries interesting like that? I’m guessing it doesn’t hurt when you bike either, which is good. Hopefully you will get it sorted out soon. These little hiccups in training are never fun to deal with (i.e., pneumonia) but seem to come with the territory. Fifteen weeks to get that heel back to normal. 🙂 Oliver is such a cutie, by the way.

• Reply Kristin May 16, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Thank you:) That’s the PicStitch app for you! I’m getting another opinion on my heel next week… I’m just so confused as to what’s really going on. I like to think I have a enough time before IMMT to figure this all out. But it’s so darn frustrating! Aww Oliver is the best, thank you!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats May 16, 2014 at 2:54 am

I can’t believe you don’t take a rest day!! Animal!!! 🙂 Great week!
    I hope your heel feels better…ASAP!! That is no fun especially while you are training hard. I don’t know what shoes you wear while running but I am running in Hokas now. I have had heel pain. I think that it is chronic PF….I have no real diagnosis but that is what I think. It is on and off but I think the Hokas have helped. I still wear my Brooks a little. Just an idea to try. At least the Doc says you will be fine for MT!! 🙂 You still have plenty of time!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats May 16, 2014 at 2:54 am

I can’t believe you don’t take a rest day!! Animal!!! 🙂 Great week!

• Reply Kristin May 16, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I know, it does seem crazy that I didn’t take a rest day! The way my coach has my plan designed is that I take a FULL rest day every 3 weeks. My training blocks are split up into 4 weeks, and every 3rd week I take 1 or 2 rest days. It seems to work for me, since I am craving a rest day by week three. I wear New Balance 890’s, but that’s good to know about the Hokas! I have been wondering about those and how they might help my feet (I’ve read mixed things…). I’m sorry to hear you have chronic PF. I would recommend an MRI. I got one because they couldn’t determine a real diagnosis. I have heard that switching your shoes during training helps (i.e. alternating days with different shoes), it sounds like you are doing that! I like to think I have plenty of time, hopefully I get this all sorted out soon!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:28 am

I think what you published was very reasonable. But, what about
    this? what if you composed a catchier title? I am not saying your information isn’t solid., however suppose
    you added a headline to possibly get people’s attention? I mean IMMT
    Training Recap Week 15 – Sweat Courage is kinda
    plain. You should look at Yahoo’s home page and note how they create news headlines to get viewers
    to click. You might add a related video or a picture or two to get people excited about
    everything’ve got to say. In my opinion, it could bring your blog a
    little bit more interesting.