IMMT Training Recap {Week 14}

photo 1 (31)

The Stats:

14 weeks until IMMT
4 weeks until Patriot Half Ironman (Freetown, MA)
This weekend marked exactly 3 months until Ironman Mont Tremblant!

Hours logged last week: 15:25

This past week was my highest volume week since mid-March! I had a tough week of training the prior week (May 5), so I was really having to dig in mentally and physically last week. I am looking forward to this week, which is a ‘step down’ week. I have roughly 8 hours of training this week, including a rest day tomorrow (actually really looking forward to it) and a few recovery workouts towards the end of the week. I now know what people mean when they say you will enjoy rest days when training for an Ironman. I have spoken previously on the blog about how I don’t like rest days, but now my view is changing ever so slightly.

One thing that has changed in my plan, is adding swim workouts to Sundays. I am now in the pool 4 days a week instead of my usual 3. This will continue until the race. Eventually I will do my open water workouts on Sundays when the water in the pond is warm enough! It’s still chilly, even with a wetsuit.

photo 2 (32)

How am I feeling? I am quickly finding out that Ironman training just makes me TIRED (and hungry). Staying on top of proper pre, during and post workout nutrition HELPS, but it doesn’t make the fatigue completely go away. When I am mentally (and physically) drained, I try to remember why I am doing this and I envision the finish line in August. I know these three months are going to fly by, I’m not sure if that scares me or excites me, definitely a little bit of both. It’s just becoming so REAL!

3254294b263cd943d6f6926b7a3fb69d

Some highlights included:

Testing out new running sneakers. I have been running in New Balance 890’s for about 3 years now. I thought I would give the new 980 Fresh Foams a try, given my heel pain history. I am happy to report that my heel felt a lot better after running in the fresh foams! They are very light weight and are cushioned without feeling heavy. However, I think I should I have eased into them (instead of running 12 total miles in them this weekend). There is a low heel drop ~ 4mm and the 890’s have 8mm drop… my left hip and left patellar tendon are sore, which I think it a result of too much too soon in new running shoes. I think I broke one of the cardinal rules. Ugh.

photo 4 (18)
Wearing my snazzy QT2 Team Kit on my long ride this weekend. Since it marked 3 weeks until my IM, I figured it only made sense, right?:)

photo 5 (8)
Unrelated to training, Oliver got a haircut and I can’t handle the cuteness!

photo 2 (33)
The weather was absolutely GORGEOUS all weekend. After my hard workouts yesterday, I spent about an hour foam rolling and stretching outdoors on my backyard patio

Here is what I accomplished last week:

Monday
Swim 3,000 yds at Master’s practice
Focus on slower pace and distance

Tuesday
Bike 1:50 (with low cadence work 2 x 20 min @70 rpm)
Run 31 min @ recovery pace
Strength and Core Work

Wednesday
Swim 3,000 yds at Master’s/ Tabata Intervals
Run 45 min Z1 HR

Thursday
Bike 1:45 (with low cadence work 2 x 20 min @70 rpm)
Strength work

Friday
Swim 3,000 yds at Master’s practice w/ recovery work
Run 55 minutes @ Z1 HR

Saturday
Bike 3:12:00 @ Z1 HR
TRX Upper Body Exercises
Run 30 minutes at recovery pace

Sunday
Bike 1:00 (insert 10 x 30 sec all out sprints)
Run 1:09
Swim 36 minutes, steady swim 3 x 600 yds

How was your training last week?

• Reply Nicole May 19, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Solid week! The fatigue during ironman training also made me learn to like rest days! The best part of rest days is getting to sleep in!

You are doing great and I know that these 3 months will fly by but at the same time you will be shocked at how much endurance you build!

• Reply Janelle @ Run With No Regrets May 19, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Phew, what a week…I’m tired just from imagining all the training you did! Great job! I’m not training for anything just yet, but will be doing a half marathon in September so I’m looking forward to it!

• Reply Kristin May 20, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Thanks so much! I definitely earned my ‘light’ week this week.. and a rest day:) Very exciting about your Half!

• Reply Abby May 19, 2014 at 9:41 pm

That’s a crazy week; I’m glad this is a cut-back to get some energy back!
    These three months will absolutely fly by!
    Oliver looks very handsome with his haircut 🙂

• Reply Kristin May 20, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Yes so crazy… looking forward to my cut-back week this week. I have a feeling three months are going to fly by like it’s nothing! Thank you, I think he looks handsome too:)

• Reply Krysten (@darwinianfail) May 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm

GREAT WORK girl!! I am still a bit of a ways out from my half ironman, but I am also always tried and hungry. My body is craving sugar like nobody’s business too. I think our bodies just know it needs more energy and sugar is the fastest way to get it!!

Love Olivers new do! Clark got a haircut too!

• Reply Kristin May 20, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Thanks so much! It’s crazy how I’m always hungry and tired (glad I’m not the only one!). I have been craving sugar and junky carbs (like pretzels) which I normally don’t crave when I’m not training. I think it does have something to do with your body wanting quick carbs and sugar. I saw that Clark got a haircut on your Instagram, he looks adorable!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 20, 2014 at 12:52 am

I think I will forever be incredibly impressed that you can do all that on top of a normal 9-5 job. How? HOW? Just amazing. I didn’t realize you have a half-ironman in 4 weeks! That will be just a week after mine. 🙂 Exciting! Do you think that swimming 4 times a week makes a difference? I really want to improve on my swim, but have a hard enough time making it to the pool 3 times a week. Maybe I should put in a little more effort…

• Reply Kristin May 20, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Thank you! I sometimes don’t know how I do it either, ha ha. I somehow squeeze 28 hours into a 24 hour day! Yes I do have a Half Ironman in 4 weeks, exciting that’s it’s right after yours. Mine is not an ‘M Dot’ branded race, but it’s 70.3 distance. In regards to swimming, I think putting the extra time in HAS made a difference, as long as I am focusing on my technique and not over doing it. I have been watching a lot of videos on swim technique and I try to visualize what I’ve watched when I’m in the water. I was never a competitive swimmer, so I’m still working on a lot of technique stuff! Swimming is so technical, it’s insane. I will try to do a post on swim technique one day soon!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats May 23, 2014 at 12:26 am

Great week!! The hunger and tiredness is only going to get worse before it gets better!! 🙂 Make sure you get lots of sleep on your “rest” week!!
    I have a friend who did the Patriot HIM and loved it!! It is getting so close!!
    I am glad that your heel is feeling better!! Oliver’s haircut is super cute!!
    My training last week was solid. Really good work-outs! I never liked rest days either but I started embracing them! I love them now!! I bet you will too!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:38 am

Thank you! It makes me feel better to hear that the hunger and tiredness is normal… I’m sure it will get worse before it gets better! Yikes! Helps to hear from someone who has been there before. I did get lots of sleep last week and it was fantastic. How cool that a friend of yours did the Patriot HIM.. glad to hear they loved it! It’s getting really close now. Thanks for your comment about Oliver, I think he looks really cute too! I am definitely starting to LOVE the rest days, just like you do!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:36 am

Asking questions are really good thing if you are not understanding anything fully, however this article provides pleasant understanding even.

• Reply mike tyson March 5, 2017 at 7:19 pm

bg05tu Post writing is also a excitement, if you know then you can write if not it is difficult to write.