IMMT Training Recap {Week 13}!

photo 1 (34)

Since yesterday was a holiday, I missed my usual Monday IMMT Training recap! I was having too much fun spending time outdoors and I didn’t want to go near the computer:)

I thought I would spend today talking about last week’s training, which was a ‘step back’ week for me! It’s so hard to believe there are just 13 weeks until IMMT!

The Stats:
Weeks until IMMT: 13
Weeks until the Patriot Half Ironman: 3
Hours trained last week: ~9 hours- not including our long hike on Sunday

Funny how I used to dread an easy week… As I have mentioned before on the blog, I am not one to really like rest. I am the type of person that is always go-go-go and never takes a break. I prefer an intense workout over a light one… and often have trouble getting through a light workout (it takes a lot of discipline on my part to keep my heart rate down). If there’s one thing IM training has taught me so far, is that you can’t go ‘all out’ all the time. You truly just can’t… it will lead to over-training and injuries. By the time my ‘step back’ week arrived last week, I was more than ready for it. I had three weeks of serious base phase training in the weeks prior and I was just plain TIRED. During the base phase, I was mostly keeping my heart rate in zone 1 (for me this is 130-140 bpm on the bike and 140-150 bpm on the run). Even though my heart rate was in Zone 1 for those weeks, I was still pretty fatigued by my step back week.

0fd6308b6300031abffcdef4718d8893

How am I feeling? Overall, feeling good and strong. I think having a lighter week last week really gave me extra energy (and sleep!) By the end of the three weeks of full training (prior to this past week), I was feeling quite cranky and irritable…Perhaps this is a sign I was doing too much? Although I hear this is a typical reaction to Ironman training. I was following my plan, day by day, just how I was supposed to, but I was just tired and my lack of patience escalated. Again, my husband is a saint for putting up with me! I am so very lucky.

Having an easier week last week made me excited for the next period of my training! I now enter a Build phase, where my heart rate zones will be higher during workouts, and my sessions will get longer. I will also be adding hill and tempo workouts on the run and the bike. I am working at a higher threshold for these next 3+ weeks AND I have my first race on June 14th, a Half Ironman! Crazy to think I’ll be racing in just three weeks!

Kristin's iPhone 5.27.14 172

My very first Half Ironman race, Pumpkinman!

The best day of last week was by far, Sunday. I cheated a little bit and went on a LONG hike on Sunday in the New Hampshire White Mountains (10.5 miles). Sunday was supposed to be an ‘easy bike’ day, but I couldn’t resist hiking on such a beautiful weekend! I made the decision to hike, knowing that I might pay for it this week (quad soreness), but I don’t regret it for one second. Yes my quads are sore today, but it was totally worth hiking in the White Mountains and breathing the fresh mountain air. I will write a post later this week about our hike… so many gorgeous pictures to share! It was definitely the highlight of my ‘training’ last week. And yes, as expected, my bike ride this morning was a little sore at first, but then it actually felt really good! Taking an Epsom Salt bath last night might have helped too!

Kristin's iPhone 5.27.14 250

I couldn’t resist hiking up to here.

Here is what I was up to last week:

Time spent in the saddle: 4:04
Running 1:58
Strength training: 1:00
Swimming: 2:00
Hiking 6:00 (not on my scheduled plan)

photo 2 (34)

Monday
Swim 3,000 yds at Master’s practice (distance training)
Strength Training

Tuesday
REST (just took a walk with the dog)

Wednesday
Bike 1:00 (Z1)
Run recovery pace 23 min

Thursday
Swim 2,000 yds (steady swim, including 700, 600, 500)
Bike 30 min @ recovery HR
Strength work

Friday
Swim at recovery pace, 2600 yds
Run 35 min @ recovery HR pace

Saturday
Bike 2:00 @ Zone 1 HR
Run 1:00 @ Zone 1 HR

Sunday
Hike in the White Mountains
Mt Flume and Mt Liberty
10.5 miles ~ 6 hours (intense hike).. will post about this later this week!

How was your training last week and/or last weekend?

• Reply Louise@FitRadiance May 27, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I swear you’re super woman! 😉 I love the quote pic, haha! So true. That mountain hike looks gorgeous. Way better than sitting at home on the sofa!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 12:59 am

You are too sweet! Ha isn’t it true about rest days? Too funny. I agree, nothing is better than being in the great outdoors:)

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run May 27, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Wow, that picture on the mountains is gorgeous! I love trail running… do you ever see snakes on the trail? I am terrified of snakes and it really puts a cramp in my summer trail running plans!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 12:58 am

Thanks so much Meg! I also love trail running and spending time in the woods. Funny you ask about snakes… I actually just saw my very first one on a hike just a few weeks ago, it totally freaked me out!!I typically don’t see them on hikes in New Hampshire, but this just happened to be a very warm day and the snake was hanging out on a rock face. I’m extremely glad I don’t see them often, that would put a cramp in my summer trail running too!

• Reply Hailey May 28, 2014 at 1:02 am

Holy cow, that picture of the mountains is amazing! You got some great work in on your step back week. I love that picture above, “stay home and think about working out.” Haha it’s SO true.

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 12:56 am

Aww thank you! Wait until you see the other photos this week! We really lucked out with the weather on Sunday on our hike. Ha ha glad you liked the quote about rest day, it’s so true! Especially for us endurance athletes:)

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 28, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I’m starting to appreciate my rest days and lighter workouts more and more, even though I admit it still feels weird going an entire day without working out. At least I use these days and this time to get caught up on things around the house. I love that picture of you hiking! I can’t want to get up into the mountains this summer. Hiking is my favorite way to switch up the routine. Well done on another solid week of training. I can’t wait to see how you do in three weeks!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 12:55 am

It’s funny how when I started my blog I hated rest days, now things have definitely changed. It seems like you are going through the same thing, and I’m sure your mind and body are thanking you for it. I also have a hard time doing NOTHING at all on rest days, but I am learning to accept the weird feeling more than I used to. Thanks so much, hard to believe I am getting so close! Hiking is so much fun, I wish I could do it every weekend (if only!)

• Reply Kecia May 28, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Fabulous week!! You are going to be ready for IM before you know it 🙂 The “cranky and irritable” feeling is definitely normal.

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 12:51 am

Thank you! I can’t believe I am in the final 3 months of training! I’m glad to hear my cranky mood is totally normal with all of this training. Makes me feel better knowing you’ve been through it too.

• Reply Abby May 28, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Funny that’s a cutback week, hey?! It’s still a lot of activity!!
    Can’t wait to read more about your hike- gorgeous! (I’m glad you did it regardless of your training plan 🙂 )

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 12:50 am

Right? hard to believe isn’t it? I will post more about my hike soon! I just had to get to the mountains, I’m sure you would do the same:) Plus, Oliver needed it too!

• Reply Nicole May 29, 2014 at 3:54 am

Gorgeous photo from the hike! Can’t wait to read more about it!

I’m like you with liking to go hard all the time, but this week I’m in taper mode and I have to admit I’m enjoying the rest! Glad you also enjoyed your down week!

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Thank you! It’s funny, now I enjoy easy weeks…I NEVER used to before IM training. My body is just craving the rest now.

• Reply Bryanna May 29, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Beautiful picture!! My hubby and I almost went hiking this weekend but it was windy and rainy here sunday and Monday.

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats May 29, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Love the rest day quote!!! I am glad that you are finally “happy” for a rest day or recovery week. I bet after the next build up you will be even more happy!! 🙂
    Great week. I think going for a hike is great. It gets you doing something different than just the norm of swimming, biking, and running!!! 🙂
    I had a hard training camp but come rest day I will be ready!!

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:43 pm

It’s funny how things have changed… I’m starting to love rest days! I’m sure I will be so excited for the next one after this build. Hiking is the best… I think it also conditions you differently and builds strength. I like to think it helps my triathlons:) I hope you enjoyed training camp, that looked like a lot of fun!

• Reply erin May 31, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Rest days are tough for me, too! But, after some serious builds, they sure do feel good… almost like I can feel my body soaking up all that fitness! Beautiful hiking pic! Totally worth the soreness for views like that 🙂

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I’m starting to understand the ‘feel good’ part of rest days! I’ll have to start thinking about what you mention: soaking it all in… it’s so true! Our bodies need the rest! It can be SUCH a mental battle however:)

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:34 am

What’s up, yeah this paragraph is truly fastidious and I have learned lot of
    things from it regarding blogging. thanks.