Friday Favorites- Long Weekend Edition

I am looking forward to a long weekend this weekend. I can’t believe it’s already Memorial Day! We are looking forward to a few days in New Hampshire, which will include a nice long hike in the White Mountains.

In the spirit of summer, training, racing and the outdoors… here some of my favorite things!

My new Speedfill hydration system

2013_09_Vegas_World_Champs_Expo_45
About a month ago, I got my bike serviced for it’s annual ‘check-up,’ While I was at the shop, I was asking the shop owner about getting a new hydration system. I previously had a Torhans and I did not like how it was difficult to clean and was always spilling out of the top (even with the cover on). He recommended a newer hydration system called ‘Speedfill.’ They installed the Speedfill system and I absolutely love it! The straw is great and what’s amazing is, you can use ANY cycling water bottle as an attachment. Oh and it’s super easy to clean AND has a mount for my garmin computer.

Neutrogena Wet Skin Sunscreen Spray

300
I always make sure I have sunscreen on during a training session or race. When I am by myself and I have no one to put sunscreen on my back (for example), I rely on this sunscreen spray. It sprays on dry and cool and is perfect for summer workouts! It’s also easy to apply on your back when you are in a pinch! I am a huge advocate for sun protection and I really recommend this stuff!

My parent’s house & yard in New Hampshire

1385189_10101351247965119_1529140594_n
Todd and I like to spend out weekends at my parent’s place in NH. We just love it up there because we can enjoy mother nature and forget about the ‘real world.’ Their house is about an hour from some of the bigger hikes in the White Mountains. We typically will drive up from MA on a Friday night (1.5 hours) and will wake up early on Saturday and drive to the mountains. It’s also the place where we had our wedding reception (so it’s extra special to us now!). It’s also Oliver’s favorite spot in the whole wide world:)

Bandanas for hikes

1441476_10101383299378829_1977446502_n
I love wearing bandanas when I hike. Maybe I like them because I feel more ‘hard core’ and earthy crunchy, ha ha, but I just love wearing them. Also, they are great for keeping the sweat off my face. Oh and how can I forget that Todd wears them too. You have to coordinate, right?

Almond Butter, honey and Banana Sandwiches

PB  Banana Sandwich-2
I have hiking on the brain, and this is one of my favorite hiking lunches. I love eating this sandwich combo on Ezikel Sprouted Grain Bread. It’s a healthy lunch for a mid hike energy boost. I spread the almond butter, slice bananas and then drizzle honey over the banana… sometimes I add a little salt for some extra electrolytes!

How are you spending your weekend?

• Reply Courtney @The TriGirl Chronicles May 23, 2014 at 3:32 pm

That sandwich looks incredible!!! Also, I love having an aero water bottle. Makes staying hydrated super easy. Your new system looks awesome!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:30 am

Aero water bottles are the best! I can stay on top of my hydration and I never have to worry about not drinking enough. And yes, AB + honey + banana sandwiches are so yummy:)

• Reply Nicole May 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Your parents place looks amazing! My parents moved to a remote area outside of Yosemite but unfortunately it’s a 8 hour drive for us so we don’t make it up there often. I need more relaxing weekends like that!

We are headed to my sister in laws wedding this weekend in alpine which is the “mountains” of San Diego! Going to explore a bit on Saturday morning with our long run.

Happy Friday!!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:28 am

Thank you, it is beautiful up in NH at their place! I can only imagine what your parents house is like near Yosemite.. sounds incredible. That stinks about the long drive though, 8 hours is far! I think once thing I take for granted in the Northeast is, how close of a drive everything is. I hope you had a great weekend at your sister in laws wedding, sounds like a beautiful venue.

• Reply Abby May 23, 2014 at 7:41 pm

So awesome you have a place to stay when you go! It looks so fabulously relaxing! I’m glad you guys are going for the long weekend; I’m sure Oliver will have the time of his life 🙂
    We’re heading to Radium, a mountain town near Banff, for the weekend! It’s just a two-day weekend for us, but I still can’t wait!
    Safe travels, and have fun hiking!!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:23 am

Yes we are VERY lucky to have a place to stay in NH! Oliver did have the time of his life, he is in heaven up there in the wilderness. I hope you had a great weekend. I dream of going to Banff one day, it seems like one of the most beautiful places in the world. I’m jealous that it’s so accessible for you. I look forward to seeing photos of your adventure!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats May 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I love that bandana. I actually noticed it in your last post! Super cute! Definitely hard core! Have fun hiking!!
    I am spending the weekend at a training camp!! Many many hours of swimming, biking, and running!!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:16 am

Aww thank you! I love bandanas:) I hope you had a great time at training camp. I’m jealous you get to go to a camp… I hope next year I can join one, this year was just too crazy to try and fit it in. I can see how they would be SO valuable to training! Plus, I’m sure it’s a great way to meet other triathletes!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 24, 2014 at 1:01 am

I really need to invest in spray sunscreen. You should see the mess of tan lines from my poor application of bottled sunscreen. How could I pass up something so simple – spray and go. Your parent’s house and the surrounding mountains/hikes looks so relaxing and rejuvenating. We are almost to the point where we can get our “hike on” in the mountains around Oregon. I look forward to it every summer. P.S. I have NEVER thought to put banana on a sandwich. Thanks to your picture, this will change immediately. 🙂

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:14 am

You should try this spray sunscreen, Kristen, it really works! Plus it provides great skin protection. I just don’t want to be one of those triathletes in my 40’s-50’s with tons of wrinkles.. scares me! My parents house is the best, it’s the perfect place to get away from it all. I’m sure the mountains around Oregon are incredible, the scenery out there seems breath taking. You MUST try the banana on a sandwich, it will change your life.

• Reply Meg Go Run May 24, 2014 at 3:35 am

I am so looking forward to sleeping in this weekend! We have a fam picnic Sat, a friend picnic Sun, then on Mon I have the house to myself while my hubby is out with a friend. What a great, relaxing weekend! I hope it live up to my expectations… hehehe.

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:11 am

I hope you had a fun weekend and that it lived up to your expectations! I kind of like having the house to myself when the hubby is away… nice to have some quite time:)

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails May 24, 2014 at 9:56 am

Your parent’s place looks amazing! I’m a big fan of nut butters with bananas. My latest obsession is a whole grain english muffin with chocolate almond butter and banana. OMG. It’s not a long weekend here in Canada (it was last weekend) but it is the weekend that my triathlon season kicks off! I’ve got a sprint race on Sunday. I hope the water warms up a little bit..it’s currently 61 degrees! Have a great long weekend!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:10 am

Thank you, it’s my favorite place in the world! I just love being away from it all at their house in NH. Your latest obsession with the choc. almond butter sounds amazing! I must try that… soon. I hope you had a great race on Sunday, I look forward to reading about it on your blog! I also hope the water warmed up for you, 61 sounds chilllly.

• Reply Kecia May 24, 2014 at 1:31 pm

We will be staying at home, doing a century ride tomorrow and enjoying our 3 day weekend. I struggle with sunscreen because it causes me to overheat by not letting me sweat enough. Have you ever had this problem and do you feel that this sunscreen allows you sweat enough and not overheat? That sandwich looks VERY tasty!! 🙂

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:08 am

I hope you had a great century ride! I miss doing century rides (I did one for about 3 summers in a row). I do not have a problem with overheating when wearing sunscreen. Perhaps you try the spray sunscreen, if you haven’t already? I find that wearing a very light sunscreen helps! And yes the sandwich is so delicious… even better on top of a mountain.

• Reply erin May 26, 2014 at 4:31 pm

That hydration system looks great! I’m trying decide between something like that or a tail. AB + banana + honey is one of my fave combos! AB + honey GF toast is one of my go-to breakfasts. My holiday weekend has consisted of training (including an outdoor swim!) and spending time with my bf + family 🙂 Hope you’re having a great weekend!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:05 am

I really like the Speedfill and I highly recommend it! I really like the straw and how easy it is to clean. I do not have experience with the tail hydration and actually this is the first time I’ve heard of it. I should try AB + honey GF toast, sounds yummy! I have a serious addiction to almond butter, ha ha. I hope you had a great weekend of training!!

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:43 am

There is definately a great deal to know about this issue.
    I love all the points you made.