Friday Favorites!

Happy Friday! This week was a nice four day work week because of Memorial Day on Monday, and it flew by! I am looking forward to the weekend, with lots of biking and running on the agenda. I also have a graduation party and bridal shower (unfortunately, Ironman training couldn’t get me out of either of those, this time, ha).

Here are some things I am loving this Friday!

This quote from Maya Angelou

ee6747cbac32cc305c955f35c1fcbd4d
It’s so true, just be yourself. Poet and author Maya Angelou died on May 28th, at the age of eighty-six. I can’t help but think about all of her quotes that I love. After her passing, I realized that so many of my favorite quotes were actually written by her. If you are looking to be inspired, more of her quotes can be found here.

Organic Blueberries

cca1cf581e83c023d1ffc3045adacf46
I am so excited that berries are finally in season! I love summer fruit and I find blueberries are the perfect snack! However, I am very picky about my blueberries and they need to have a little ‘crunch.’ I love adding them to my yogurt or just eating them by the handful.

Nutiva Brand Shelled Hemp Seeds

Hemp-Seeds-Nutiva
I don’t know why I waited so long to try hemp seeds! I have been adding them to my salads daily and they add a nice flavor and texture to any salad (or meal). They also are a nutritional powerhouse packed with protein and all nine essential amino acids. I like the Nutiva Brand because they are Organic and non-GMO. I also hear they go well in smoothies!

Discovering new trails

photo (32)
I always love finding new trails to hike and run on! This week I realized there is a network of trails literally behind my office. It’s a 2 mile loop and has both wooded trails and these wood bridges that are really cool. It’s such a nice place to go in the middle of the workday when I need fresh air. I try to get outside every day during work (as long as it’s not raining). I also look forward to running on these trails during my ‘runches.’

Running hill repeats

tumblr_m4707mufqx1qzol25

Ok call me crazy, but I love doing hill repeats. I have entered the Build phase of my Ironman training and I will now be incorporating weekly hill workouts. Since my Ironman is in Mont Tremblant, I really need to practice hills! From Runner’s World: Training on hills improves leg-muscle strength, quickens your stride, expands stride length, develops your cardiovascular system, enhances your running economy and can even protect your leg muscles against soreness. In short, hill running will make you a stronger, faster and healthier runner.

What are you up to this weekend?

• Reply Nicole May 30, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I want to try hemp seeds! I have been seeing them a lot and now I’m convinced they would be perfect for my lunch salads!

Hills – hate them but love them. This reminds me that I need to incorporate them into my early marathon training – they are my weakness!

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm

You must try them Nicole, they are perfect for salads! Hills are definitely a love-hate thing… I love them, but they also hurt at times… good for when you want to feel the burn!

• Reply Courtney @The TriGirl Chronicles May 30, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I also love hill repeats! I’ve found them to be the single most helpful addition to my running that makes me stronger and faster quicker than any other workout.

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Glad to hear you love hill repeats too! They absolutely build strength and speed. I find it’s important to practice the downhills too (as much as I hate them, lol)

• Reply Abby @ Change of Pace May 30, 2014 at 6:28 pm

That wooden feature on the trails is stunning!
    I quite enjoyed having the Ironman excuse for bridal and baby showers 🙂
    I bought hemp seeds a few months ago for salads and haven’t used them yet! Next week!
    We’re heading to the mountains again after work today- cannot wait!

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I agree… I loved the boardwalk on the trails! The ‘Ironman excuse’ can be so useful at times:) You have to try the hemp seeds, if you haven’t already… so good for you and they honestly don’t really alter the flavor of any dish. Hope you had fun in the mountains last weekend!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats May 30, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Great list!!! I think I have tried hemp seeds once. I don’t even really remember if I liked them. I feel like I got them at an expo or something!!! 🙂
    I love hill repeats as well!! I think that it has done a lot for my running!!!

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Thank you! You have to add hemp seeds to your meals, especially salads… you won’t regret it! Glad to hear you love hill repeats too!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 31, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Maya Angelo was brilliant and left a beautiful piece of who she was in her words and quotes. Oh yes, hill repeats. They hurt so good. Is the IM course really hilly? This weekend I am going to be visiting some family friends, getting things together for our trip to Boise, and doing another OWS. Have a great weekend of training, graduation parties, and bridal showers!

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Yes she certainly was… I love her writings. IMMT is quite hilly! It’s not SUPER hilly, but it’s hilly. A lot of rolling hills on the bike and the run course. I can’t believe how close your 70.3 is getting, I’m so excited for you! I hope you had a great weekend last weekend!

• Reply Megan @ Meg Go Run June 1, 2014 at 12:20 am

I don’t think you are crazy for loving hill repeats. Though I hate going DOWN them as it is hard on my knees. The trail near your work looks awesome! Wish I could get outside during the work day!

• Reply Kristin June 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I also hate going downhills, it does a number on your knees (and feet!). I honestly think that’s what caused my foot injury in the first place, hiking downhill and slamming my heel on the ground. I try to get outside as much as I can, during a work day, but it’s not always easy.

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:41 am

I read this piece of writing completely on the topic of the
    difference of newest and earlier technologies, it’s remarkable article.