A day in the life.

0fe86f9392d1ce0a3b76b132aca70650

I thought I would use today’s post to talk about what a day in my work-week life typically looks like. Training for an Ironman while working a full time job is not easy and involves A LOT of time management. As many triathlete’s can attest to, I consider myself to be an expert multi-tasker! If only I could swim, bike and run all at the same time, then my life would be really easy!

feace4c2e7536240f697a3a9b79a4127

Here is a snapshot of a typical day. Obviously my workouts types and duration vary, but everything else is pretty much the same day-to-day. Just last night, I said to my husband, I feel like I get home from work, blink and it’s time for bed. I try to jam so much stuff into the few hours after work, that it seems like I never relax for more than 30 minutes a night. I need to work on this! It also doesn’t help that I’m type ‘A’ !

5:00 Alarm goes off (maybe snooze a few times;))

5:30 Bike for 1.5 hours on the trainer in my basement

P2

7:00-8:15 Shower, make up, hair, eat breakfast, let Oliver out, feed Oliver (if hubby didn’t already)

8:15-8:30 Drive to work (10-15 minute drive, very lucky for a short commute!)

8:30-12:00 Work in my cubicle, either sitting or standing (I have a standing work station, makes a world of difference), attend meetings, etc..

12-12:30 Run 30 minutes outside (or treadmill if the weather is bad) during lunch hour, then a quick shower (or no shower, depending on sweat level, ha) and back to work.

lunch

Getting my ‘runch’ on

1:00-5:00 Eat lunch at my desk, Work work work (desk jobs just aren’t my thing, but it pays the bills for now…it’s torture sitting in a cube)

5:00-6:00 Commute home, let dog out, prep dinner (most of my REAL prep is typically done on the weekends to make the work week easier, this is KEY!)

6:00 Strength training for 30-45 minutes and/or core work

7:00/7:30 ish eat a healthy home cooked dinner by yours truly (did I mentioned I loved cooking, because I honestly do:))

8:00/8:30 take Oliver for a night-time walk (probably my favorite part of the night). I treasure this time because Todd and I talk about our day while getting a little exercise post dinner. It’s Oliver’s favorite part of the day too, he loves sniffing all over the neighborhood!

pupp

Oliver with one of our foster dogs!

9:00 Finally sitting down on the couch, or foam rolling and/or stretching on the floor (while Oliver is trying to play catch with me… it’s all about multi-tasking right?)

10:30 Crawling into bed, at this point totally exhausted and my eyes usually feel heavy… I used to have trouble falling asleep until I became I triathlete. No longer an issue! And as I’ve mention before, I think I need more sleep…

Do you try to maximize your days?
How do you schedule training and working?

• Reply Jen K May 6, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Hello again!!! I absolutely LOVE these posts 🙂 I have one lined up for me in the future (as well as one for my cat…is that weird?! haha). I lalso ove reading your blog and want to pass on the love…so I’ve nominated you for a Liebster Award on my blog Daydreams & Shoestrings: #2014/05/06/liebster-award-round-1/

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Awesome, I look forward to reading your post… and the one from your cat’s perspective. I should totally do that with my dog! Thank you so much for the Liebster Award, I feel honored!

• Reply Abby May 7, 2014 at 2:29 am

Working full time and training for an Ironman IS hard work! You have to be the queen of multitasking!
    That’s super nice you’re able to sneak away for a workout during lunch. And that’s a lot of working out in one day 🙂
    I start work at seven, so with the exception of swimming (which I haven’t done in a verrrry long time!), my workouts are almost all after work during the week.
    My favourite time of day is also walks with the hubby and pup!

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:24 pm

It is SUCH hard work! If only we could get paid to train all these hours, right? If I had to be to work by 7, my workouts would be done after work too! I have to be at work by 8:30, and my commute is nice and short… really helps with getting a morning workout in:)

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 7, 2014 at 3:28 am

I seriously admire, like REALLY admire, those who train for triathlons and work 9-5 jobs. I take it you don’t ride your trainer and run every day, do you?!? I am a morning person, so to maximize my days I take full advantage of my mornings, when I am mentally and physically at my best. Typically, my work schedule and the weather will depict when I train throughout the day. I try to work more on the “crappy” days so that I can enjoy the “awesome” days more. P.S. I love that you have a foster dog. My husband and I have been talking about doing that!

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Thank you… it’s super hard but it’s worth the sacrifice! I don’t ride my trainer and run every day, but I do those workouts a few times a week. Thank goodness for a Tri coach who does my programming, otherwise I would be so lost! Nice that it seems y ou have more flexibility with your job, I’m jealous! Oh and if you ever get the chance to foster, it’s an amazing experience. It’s so rewarding!

• Reply Kecia May 7, 2014 at 9:26 am

I completely understand this…we are up by 4 am for a morning workout (as I’m typing this while riding in the basement), work all day and have a pm workout or two and some grub before hitting the pillow by 9 pm at the latest…gotta love IRONMAN training 😉

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I love multitasking while on the trainer (i.e. catching up on social media or watching shows). I really need to start going to bed around 9! Look forward to following your IM training!

• Reply Louise@FitRadiance May 7, 2014 at 9:54 am

That’s one busy schedule! I think it’s amazing you still manage to squeeze in your exercise throughout the day! 🙂
    Time management is definitely something I need to work on. I don’t know where time goes these days! Thank goodness for weekends 😉 Even then it can be busy though, haha

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Sometimes I don’t know how I do it either, lol. Let’s just say by Friday, I’m completely burnt out and I want to take a serious nap! And yes, thank goodness for the weekends!

• Reply Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails May 7, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I am amazed that you make it to 10:30 ha ha ha. I’m usually totally wiped by about 9:30. Your day sounds very similar to mine. I generally work 9-5 but as a producer at a commercial photography studio, my days can fluctuate greatly. If we have a shoot, 9-5 goes right out the window. Sometimes it means I’m up at 4:00 am to get my workouts done. Ridiculous but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:33 pm

ha ha I am too! 10:30 is probably way too late with all of the training I do… I am REALLY trying hard to get to bed before 10, but it’s proving difficult! How neat that you work in a photography studio! Yes I know what you mean, it is ridiculous, but those morning workouts are sometimes the only thing that works… glad you are on the same page!

• Reply Sara @ Running Around The Charles May 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Wow… that is pretty intense. I would be out by like 8PM if I where you haha.

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Ha ha… I should be in bed by 8… I’m sure I would feel much better if that were the case!

• Reply Hailey May 7, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Wow. You have amazing time management skills! I can only hope I’m able to make it work when I start a job. I took this past year after graduating from college to my ACSM Health Fitness Specialist Certification and train after juggling school and athletics for five years. I can attest to the busy days. It definitely felt like a full time job at the time, but I got what I needed to done. Now I just need to hope I can do it all again! 🙂 But the fact that you fit in strength/core work, bike, swim, AND run is seriously inspiring!

• Reply Kristin May 9, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Awesome about your ACSM! I went to college for Kinesiology and had a concentration in Exercise Science. I have been thinking about getting a Certification for a while now, but working full time and training, it just won’t work at this time. You will definitely be able to do it all again, especially after being a college athlete!

• Reply Leslie @ Triathlete Treats May 10, 2014 at 3:27 am

You definitely need to sleep more!! 🙂 It is so important for your recovery. Especially since you are doing doubles!!
    Ironman training is all about multi-tasking!! It is tough but you seem to be doing it well!!

• Reply Kristin May 13, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I know, I am the worst with the whole getting sleep thing! I just need to make an effort to get to bed earlier…it’s so hard. It’s definitely vital for recovery. Thank you, I like to think I’m handling the Ironman training (while working full time) thing pretty well!

• Reply erin May 23, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Time management is key when balancing work + IM training. Our days are so similar! I usually have a morning workout, sometimes run mid-afternoon at work, and train again when I get home. Working a 9-5 is so… lame. The cube life isn’t for me, either… but, thankful I have a standing desk, too. And, I hear ya… the evening goes by in a blink. Sometimes it feels like I’m in the movie Groundhog Day! Hope your training is going well!

• Reply Kristin May 29, 2014 at 1:34 am

Erin, I love how our lives are so similar! It’s so great to be able to connect with someone who is going through exactly what you are. I also feel like I am on auto-pilot, every single day. I hate the cube life, but it works for now. Glad you have a standing desk too! Makes a big difference. Ha! I also feel like I’m in the movie Groundhog Day, just call me Phil Connors, lol. I also find I’m showering at least twice a day with this type of schedule… I guess that comes with Ironman trianing:)

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:28 am

I’d like to find out more? I’d like to find out more details.