IMMT Training Recap {Week 20}

trails

The Stats:
2 weeks until the Boston Marathon
20 weeks until IMMT
Total Training hours last week: 9

How am I feeling? I am now starting to taper in preparation for the Boston Marathon, which is two weeks from today! I am still planning on running it, even though my plantar fasciits has been raising hell. I have spoken with my triathlon coach and he said we can’t rule out Boston just yet… hopefully he’s right. Last week I had a rest day on Tuesday, which even though I hated not doing any training on that day, it was most definitely what my body needed. My training week also ended with a recovery day yesterday (Sunday) and I enjoyed a nice long walk with Todd and Oliver at the lake nearby. The weather was perfect yesterday and it felt great to be outside! Spring has finally arrived and it’s fantastic.

walk 1

Training notes: Each week I am feeling stronger and stronger on the bike. I also feel an improvement in the pool, which is always exciting. I have recently incorporated fins which are helping a lot with my kicking mechanics. I might be switching over to ‘pool running’ until we get to Boston, I need to give my foot a rest…. as much as I don’t want to, I think it’s necessary. On Saturday I went for a long run on the trails near my house, which are finally dry… it felt amazing! Running on the trails was the highlight of my training this past weekend. There is just something about running through the woods that’s so peaceful!

trails 2

Saturday
Bike 2:51 (Z1/Z2) Ride
Run (Z1/Z2)Transition Run 1:20

Sunday
3.5 mile walk with Todd and Oliver
Bike: 45 min recovery ride

Some photos from our walk yesterday:)

walk 2

wakefield

How was your training last week?

• Reply Jen K April 7, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Hello! Stopping by from #bestfoot link-up 🙂 Love the photos from your walks…isn’t spring intoxicating?! 🙂 Have a great day!

• Reply Kristin April 8, 2014 at 1:31 am

Thanks for stopping by! Spring weather is the best! Looking forward to checking out your blog:) #bestfoot

• Reply Abby April 7, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Spring sure looks nice- I think our spring is on its way this week!
    That was one heck of a week still! Feeling stronger on the bike is huge! Way to go.
    I think you’ll be good to pool run for the next couple weeks. You have an incredible base, you’ll still be biking and swimming hard, and pool running can be crazy tough!

• Reply Kristin April 8, 2014 at 1:26 am

Thank you! Yes, it was still quite the week and the biking is getting stronger… Good nutrition helps too. I appreciate your reassurance about pool running- I like to think I have a good base too! I hope it all works out in the end:)

• Reply Nicole April 7, 2014 at 8:16 pm

It’s always great to see improvements on the bike! I feel like that’s the hardest one to really feel the difference in (for me anyway) due to the various factors that go into pace (wind, terrain, indoor vs outdoor, etc). Enjoy the taper to Boston – you have plenty of time til the ironman so don’t worry too much about some lower volume weeks! i just started reading your blog but recognize a lot of myself in you – I put the pedal to the medal for a full year going into my first (self coached) ironman and wish I’d had a coach to tell me to rest more like you do!!

• Reply Kristin April 8, 2014 at 1:23 am

Thank you! Trying to enjoy the taper:) I agree with you, it’s definitely hardest to see improvements on the bike. It always seems like I’m putting soooo much time into riding and results don’t come easy. I’m glad you find things in common with me, thanks for reading!

• Reply Amanda - RunToTheFinish April 7, 2014 at 11:02 pm

wow I can’t believe boston is already here! that’s crazy! i love your countdown, I added that to my recaps! Thanks for joining the bestfoot link up, would love it if you linked back next week!

• Reply Kristin April 8, 2014 at 1:24 am

I know! It’s so crazy! Glad you like the countdown:) I will be sure to link back next week!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust April 8, 2014 at 3:32 am

I really hope your plantar fasciits lets up before Boston. That must be a little frustrating, given you are so healthy, motivated, and prepared otherwise. I’ve never run in the pool, but I bet it is a lot more difficult than it sounds. For me, I see the least amount of progress in the pool and am having a difficult time improving on speed. I feel like my lower body is just a big anchor that my upper body has to drag along. I hope you get to run Boston so that I can live vicariously through your experience!

• Reply Kristin April 8, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Thank you Kristen, I hope so too! It is VERY frustrating, given I know I am totally capable of running this race! Pool running is challenging, it definitely gets your heart rate up. Do you ever swim with pull buoys or fins? I find both of those swim tools help tremendously.