IMMT Training Recap {Week 19}

ride 5

I love riding on country roads

The Stats:

1 Week until the Boston Marathon! (yikes!)
19 Weeks until IMMT
Total Training hours last week: 12:30

It’s hard to believe that one week from this very moment I will be running the Boston Marathon. It’s been an interesting several weeks of training. I have dealt with a foot injury, missed several weeks of running, swam and biked (a lot) but I’m happy to report I’m feeling really good and I am confident that adrenaline (and passion) will get me through 26.2 miles. I realize now that I am not a runner, I’m a triathlete, and I hope this is what carries me to the finish line. I know I am capable of running this race and I really want to be a part of it with the entire city of Boston. Tomorrow (on the anniversary of the 2013 Boston Marathon) I plan to write a post with a recap of last year, since I was not blogging at this time one year ago.

I am now in my ‘taper’ as of today, but last week there were some serious sweat sessions. This weekend I got out on my bike for almost four hours and it was fantastic! I had not taken my triathlon bike outside yet and I forgot how good it feels to be in aero (outside!).

ride

About to start my ride!

Besides a little mishap in the beginning, I had a fantastic outdoor ride. Apparently, I forgot how to clip out of my Speedplay clipless pedals at a traffic light (oops…) A pothole got the best of me, and it wasn’t pretty… more embarrassing than anything! It was a controlled fall into a curb, but still hurt like a b*tch! But at least everything improved from there! I was able to stop at my parents’ house (3 miles into my ride) and clean my wound… it was interesting riding with blood dripping down my leg (sorry for the nasty image) and then continued on my merry way:)

ride 2

After battling with a pothole

Here is what last week looked like:

Monday
Swim: 3,000 yds @ Master’s practice
(Distance sets)

Tuesday
Bike: Zone 2
Duration: 01:20:00 (with intervals)
Run: Duration: 35:00
Z1 T Run (1st mile Z2)

Wednesday
Swim: Distance: 3000 yds (stroke and sprint intervals)
Bike: Zone R Duration: 40:00

Thursday
Bike: Zone 2 Duration: 01:05:00
(Tempo Ride)
Run: Zone 2
Duration: 01:00:00 with interval sets thrown in:
3 X (1 mile @ Z1, 1 mile @ Z2)

Friday
Swim: 3,000 yds @ Master’s practice
Run: Zone R Duration: 31:00

Saturday
Bike Zone 2
Duration: 03:40:00
Distance: 64 miles, Z1/Z2 ride

It was so great to get OUTSIDE on my bike on Saturday! I set out on my favorite 56 mile loop course (and added some miles at the end to get my full scheduled time on the bike). The course is compiled of lots of rolling hills through apple orchards and country towns. My total climbing elevation was 4,100 ft! Holy quadriceps!

ride 6

After the 64 mile bike ride, I took off on a 35 minute run. I felt amazing getting off the bike. It was as if I didn’t even ride prior to running (the best feeling!). I attribute this to training hard and properly all winter long AND improving my nutrition. I drank Power Bar Perform the entire time on the bike (while fueling with gels) and I had endless energy on the run. Woo hoo!

ride 3

ride 4
Run: Zone 2 T Run
Duration: 00:35:00
Distance: 5 miles (a few mile splits were 6:30, 6:40!)

Sunday
Bike Zone R
Duration: 00:50:00

Recovery Run
Duration: 20:00

How was your training week last week?
Ever have an embarrassing fall on your bike?

• Reply Abby April 14, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Sounds like another amazing week! I hope you revel in a taper week, although I don’t think you like to take downtime 🙂
    Almost four hours on country roads?! I’m totally jealous! Those rides sure are peaceful!
    I have definitely had a few embarassing falls! My most embarassing was on the side of the highway and I rolled right into the ditch with my feet still attached. Thankfully I had just turned around so was going slower. My back muscles actually bugged me more than three years later!

• Reply Janelle @ Run With No Regrets April 15, 2014 at 3:09 am

All I can say is wow!! Boston must be such an exciting experience…look forward to hearing how it goes! Thankfully I haven’t had any spills on my bike yet…it’s pretty old so for the most part I deal with it falling apart somehow haha.

• Reply Kristin April 15, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Aw thank you! Boston is such an amazing experience, I hope you get to experience it one day! Glad you haven’t fallen on the bike!

• Reply Nicole April 15, 2014 at 4:31 am

On one of my first rides on a road bike I fell straight over a stop light . It didn’t hurt that bad but I had a HUGE bruise on my ass for weeks!

Boston is going to be so awesome – I am so glad you won’t miss it! As someone who is on a mission to make it to that start line, I’m glad that you will be able to get there!

• Reply Kristin April 15, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I feel your pain Nicole! It always happens at the stop lights (at least with me!). Glad you didn’t get too hurt.

Boston is going to an amazing experience this year… I knew all along that I would not settle for anything less than running this race. I’m just glad I have my injury under control:) Thank you!

• Reply Louise@FitRadiance April 15, 2014 at 9:33 am

I love the bike pics! Looks like you had some awesome scenery 🙂 I actually haven’t been on my bike in aages! I can’t wait to move closer to the country (hate cycling in the city!) I definitely remember some embarrassing falls when I was younger though, haha.

• Reply Kristin April 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Thank you!! Yes, we have lots of great roads for riding bikes around where I live. The best part was riding by some horses:) I also hate cycling in the city and I try and avoid it as much as possible! People in Boston ride like crazy people in the city.

• Reply Amanda - RunToTheFinish April 15, 2014 at 2:28 pm

four hours I can’t even fathom that yet! I think great scenery would certainly help.

Yup I totally fell over on some trails in front of a park ranger 🙂

• Reply Kristin April 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Yup, the scenery definitely help, that’s for sure! LOL I hate it when other people see me fall… glad yours wasn’t too serious!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust April 16, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I have definitely experienced a couple of those “plop-over” falls where I was unable to clip out in time. Great entertainment value for bystanders. I’m digging the neon green bandage covering your battle wound. I can’t believe you did 64 miles and climbed 4,100ft. Did you climb a mountain or something!? Followed by crazy fast run time. I could never keep up with you – you are going to own that IM!

• Reply Kristin April 16, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Falling while trying to un-clip is so embarrassing! Glad I’m not the only one:) The 4,100 ft of climbing was done throughout the duration of the ride… most the the ride was super hilly! I also passed a lot of farm animals which I loved of course. I had not done hills in a while, so it certainly kicked me in the butt! You are too sweet, thank you.