I hate rest day.

Rest days totally mess with my head.

4302d0cccb9e13aa731cf313a8061690

I know I have had a tough couple of weeks of training, and I’m pretty beat up, but I still hate having to rest today. As an athlete, I am used to my routine of waking up, training, eating breakfast, going to work, and most days training after work. It was really weird this morning to sleep in an extra hour and shower (without sweating beforehand), and then just go to work. I know this is what most people at my office do, but it’s not me, and it feels weird to not work out on a day during the week. When I take a rest day, it feels like something is missing. I can’t help but want to sneak a little workout in… but that voice in my head keeps saying ‘no, this rest is good for you Kristin, don’t do it!’. My coach must have scheduled an OFF day for a reason, and I need to abide by it, knowing that in the end, this is good for me.

I find it’s also weird to know what to eat on Rest days. I’m not expending TONS of energy like I normally do, therefore I should probably eat less, but I find I am still hungry all day long (as if I did workout). The key thing is to focus on eating all REAL nutrient dense foods on rest days, especially foods that reduce inflammation. I eat these foods on a regular basis anyways, but it’s especially important on rest days! Oh and I also plan to focus on lots of stretching and foam rolling tonight!

I just wish my rest day today could be spent on the beach, and not in a cubicle. Then I would actually want to rest.

hammock

One other thing about taking a rest day, it puts me in a bad mood.  Without releasing endorphins, I feel cranky! … watch out co workers:)

b1837c795c060a9b278de3b66d4ee20f

How do you cope with ‘rest days’?

• Reply Nicole April 1, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Ah I dislike rest days too! Usually a rest day turns out to be a busy day for me usually with some kind of social thing going on which helps ease my antsiness! I also usually take a walk on rest day – even 20-30 min walk helps!

• Reply Kristin April 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Nicole, I get so antsy on rest days! I also usually take a walk on rest days… yesterday we took a long walk with the dog, which helped ease my mind!

• Reply Kristen @ Glitter and Dust April 2, 2014 at 12:16 am

Finally, someone who understands what it is like to “dislike” a rest day. I always feel a little off and never know what to do with the extra time. I, like you, get into a routine with my workouts and nutrition, and the rest day always throws me off. I cope by cleaning my house and running errands (my husband loves rest days).

• Reply Kristin April 2, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Same here, Kristen! I never know what to do with the extra time. I also do lots of errands and clean the house… my husband also loves my rest days ha ha.

• Reply Abby April 2, 2014 at 2:12 am

I secretly love rest days, especially when I was in Ironman training! They were my salvation, and when I was really tired I’d remember I had a rest day to look forward to!
    You’re right though- they’d be a lot better spent on a beach, or at least on a hammock in the sunshine!

• Reply Kristin April 2, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I think I’ll start to love rest days too, as I get closer to IMMT. I know I will appreciate them!

• Reply Louise@FitRadiance April 2, 2014 at 11:22 am

Rest days always make me feel lazy and sluggish! I want to eat more too, which is annoying. I just don’t have that spring in my step as I do after a workout! Rest is so important though, I guess we just have to put up with it! Haha

• Reply Kristin April 2, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Me too… I wish I knew why I want to eat more on Rest days! You would think it would be the opposite? It is very important, I just need to keep reminding myself of this.

• Reply Stephanie @ Whole Health Dork April 3, 2014 at 12:10 am

I used to feel like you do, too. I wouldn’t know what the heck to do with myself and felt like I should be working out. I don’t know what changed. I think life got a bit busier with taking a class and all, but I actually enjoy rest days. I enjoy letting my body rest and having a little extra time to get other things done. I like the feeling of just lounging sometimes. Such a luxury and I enjoy it. And then I’m able to go back to working out well rested and stronger.

• Reply Getting over the post-race blues. | Sweat Courage April 28, 2014 at 7:27 pm

[…] week for me to mentally and physically take a break from training. Although I am not one to like rest, after running 26.2 miles on Monday, I NEEDED the rest. The night of the marathon, I slept for 12 […]

• Reply Ironwoman Wednesday: Recovery | Sweat Courage July 23, 2014 at 5:48 pm

[…] ironic thing is, when I first started blogging this year, I wrote a post about how I hate rest day. A few of my blogger friends responded to the post and said I will start to appreciate rest day […]

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:19 am

I really like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting!

Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my personal blogroll.

• Reply eebest8 best March 3, 2017 at 2:14 am

“Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks”

• Reply lovely shez March 4, 2017 at 5:57 pm

RDUgxO You have brought up a very wonderful points , appreciate it for the post.