IMMT Training Recap (I)

Since we are getting closer to my Ironman, I thought I would start documenting the previous week of training on each Monday. This will give you (my readers) an idea of what Ironman training looks like i.e. what my life at the moment looks like. I work with a professional coach, so each week is mapped out by him…. All I have to do is follow the plan!

athlete

The Stats:
4 weeks until the Boston Marathon
22 weeks until IMMT
Total Training hours last week: 16

How am I feeling? This was a great week. I completed all of the workouts as scheduled (including all of the running). I feel confident now that I can run the Boston Marathon. I was always confident that I could run it, but took about 5 weeks off from running this winter to recover from a stress reaction in my foot, and I was nervous. Now with the green light from my coach and podiatrist, I hope to run Boston with minimal pain (which is all relative when running a marathon, right?).

Training notes: My coach has me training with a large focus on heart rate. Each bike and run workout is dictated by heart rate and I have to keep a close eye on what zone I am working in. What I like about training with heart rate is, that it forces me to slow down on my recovery days, when I used to just ‘go all-out’ all the time. It also tells me when I’m ‘slacking’ and need to pick up the pace! My workouts are dictated by heart rate zones (i.e. Zone R, Zone 1, Zone 2). Zone R = Recovery, Zone 1= Moderate effort, Zone 2: Moderate to hard effort. The zones are different depending on if I am biking or running. For example, Zone 1 on the bike is 130-140 bpm (beats per minute) and Zone 1 while running is 140-150 bpm.

P2

Swim: 3,000 Yards at Master’s practice
Bike: ZR spin on my trainer, 45 min
Run: ZR Run 24 min

Thursday
Bike: 01:30:00 Tempo Ride with low cadence work
Run: 1:00 Speed work
Strength: Core work

Friday
Swim: 3,000 Yards with Master’s Team
Run: 24 min recovery run

Saturday
Bike: 04:00:00 at Z1/Z2 heart rate
Run: Z1 HR 40 min transition run

Sunday
Run: 1:10: at Z1
Bike: 50 min, ZR Ride + 10 sets of 30 second sprints all out
Run: 1:12 at Z1 (Total run distance this day: 18 miles!)

photo 1

What was your training like this weekend?

• Reply Bryanna March 24, 2014 at 3:53 pm

the biking will be great for prep for the Boston marathon. When I did my first 50k, I was told to do some biking to help with the hills. I was surprised at how biking contributed to my race prep. Can’t wait for Boston!!

• Reply Kristin March 24, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Yes I hope so too! Biking really strengthens your quads and glutes, that’s for sure. I’m excited too! What wave/corral are you in?

• Reply Louise@FitRadiance March 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Sounds like a great week! Go you 😛

• Reply Kristin March 26, 2014 at 12:50 pm

thank you! yes it was quite busy to say the least!

• Reply Amanda - RunToTheFinish March 25, 2014 at 2:30 pm

OHH i totally pinned that quote, I LOVE it. Such a great week of workouts!! I am so conflicted on training for a marathon or a tri this summer, gahhhh you make me want to attempt it all 🙂 hehe.
    thanks for joining #bestfoot, don’t forget to link back, thanks!!

• Reply Kristin March 26, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Isn’t it a great quote?! You should go for it all! What distance tri are you thinking of? You could always do a fall marathon and a tri over the summer! You’re welcome.. how do I link back? (hehe I’m new to this kind of thing:) )

• Reply Krysten (@darwinianfail) March 25, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Dang girl! That was a killer week!! You are seriously rocking your Ironman Training!

• Reply Kristin March 26, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Krysten! Yes it was a killer week!

• Reply Tiffany March 25, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Congrats on all your progress. Sounds like you are working hard! I am really interested in trying out HR based workouts, I’ve never tried it before but have read some good stuff on it. Good luck with the rest of your training!

• Reply Kristin March 26, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Thanks so much Tiffany. It’s hard work, but I know it will pay off in the end. You should absolutely try HR training. I would start with a basic garmin HR monitor (no need to go crazy) and just monitor your HR during you runs. It really helps you understand if you need to pick up the pace or back off… you can also track trends in your HR via Garmin Connect online, which is included with your HR monitor.

• Reply ig February 27, 2017 at 2:44 am

Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.